Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #9: Meet the Writers

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Today's Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter update is entitled "Meet the Writers". While it does introduce us to Larian's new full-sized writing team, including the five new recruits from Ireland, it's actually about more than that. In the accompanying video, Swen guides us through a somewhat dramatized portrayal of how Larian implement origin-based dialogue options in quests:

The update also includes a lore piece introducing the sinister Bishop Alexandar the Innocent (yes, with an 'a'), presumably the game's chief antagonist, and his crusade to purge all Sourcerers. In further news, there's a Divinity: Original Sin 2 stream currently ongoing on a Twitch channel called Ara Gaming, and there's also going to be a Reddit AMA session next week. And that's it for today.

Dorateen

Arcane
The dialogue options remind me, in concept, of Storm of Zehir's party chat system. Here, they reference origins, but it's just responses keyed to specific conditionals of a character. I see race, class and traits used in this example. Could be any attribute used to distinguish party members, including gender or ability scores, other stats, etc.

I approve.

Bladderfish

Augur
The amount of dialogue options they appear to have is excellent, but it remains to be seen how much these options will actually branch the stories. I'd like to think that they are going for dozens of small stories throughout the game, each with dozens of possible threads leading to different conclusions, but that might be optimistic on my part.

lurker3000

Arcane
Since the incredibly stupid silly writing has been a plague feature of the Divinity games so far I am actually curios to see what happens with a "legitimate" writing team.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since the incredibly stupid silly writing has been a plague feature of the Divinity games so far I am actually curios to see what happens with a "legitimate" writing team.
"This aspect that differentiates it from all other fantasy games is bad,"--you

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
All Divinity games have had one writer so far (D:OS got Sarah mid-way through, plus there was some input from Rhianna Pratchett for earlier games, I believe), now D:OS 2 has a full six-people party of writers, if not more.
I am veeeeery curious how that will turn out. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Larian's decision to basically outsource their writing to Ireland is a curious one, but I guess it works out financially. Cheapest native English speakers you can get.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Larian's decision to basically outsource their writing to Ireland is a curious one, but I guess it works out financially. Cheapest native English speakers you can get.
James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, lord Dunsany. Hack frauds.

nikolokolus

Arcane
What have they done for us lately?
Plenty. I just finished re-reading Dunsany's the Gods of Pegana, The King of Elfland's Daughter, The Sword of Welleran and The Charwoman's Shadow just a couple of months ago. Now that I think about it, I should probably read Ulysses again soon.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Plenty. I just finished re-reading Dunsany's the Gods of Pegana, The King of Elfland's Daughter, The Sword of Welleran and The Charwoman's Shadow just a couple of months ago. Now that I think about it, I should probably read Ulysses again soon.
Died: October 25, 1957

Gonna need to be a bit more contemporary than that.

1eyedking

Erudite
Dear Divinity Original Sin writers:

You suck. Hard.

Sincerely,
A writer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom