Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #3: One million dollars! Racial skills are in

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It won't make 3.5 million dollars.

Fairfax

Arcane
These projections are terrible, I dont know why they keep it as a tool in the first place. The projections aren't conservative at all, they take the average including all days so far and generate insane goals.

A more realistic projection is to use percentages for each section (first 3 days, middle days, last 3 days) and daily averages for the middle days. I ran some quick numbers here for D:OS2 using that method.
Extremely conservative: $1.7 million.
Conservative: $1.850 million.
Moderate: $2.05 million.
Optimistic: $2.250 million.
Very optimistic: $2.5 million.
Absolute best case scenario (Bloodstained-like campaign): $3 million.

For this campaign to reach 3.5 million, the first 3 days would have to be just 26% of the total pledge level, and the daily average for the 27 days it has left would have to be $85,789.

The daily average for 5 days after the initial 3 is currently $50,588, but not a single campaign has ever kept that average. Even the Bloodstained campaign dropped from a 99k average during that period to a 75k average for all middle days combined.
If the campaign performs in the exact same way as Bloodstained, which was the best campaign so far with a much wider audience and many other advantages, it'd reach ~$3.05 million. But that's not gonna happen, even if they make the best campaign possible.

It does seem to have much more legs than the recent CRPG campaigns, which is great. With new/revamped tiers, add-ons and the right stretch goals, I do think it can get close to $2.3-2.5 million.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
I don't really believe in those things, but, 2mi seems doable with the last day peak in pledges. 3+ seems kinda insane.

Fairfax

Arcane
*The daily average for 5 days after the initial 3 is currently $50,588, but not a single campaign has ever kept that average.

By that I meant no campaign has ever kept the average for the first 5 middle days across all of the middle days.

Aenra

Please tell me your occupation is in some way related to all this math crunching. Cause watching the other half cutting her nails is preferable to this, far as hobbies go.

Fairfax

Arcane
Please tell me your occupation is in some way related to all this math crunching. Cause watching the other half cutting her nails is preferable to this, far as hobbies go.
It is, I'm an economist.

Maybe it's his first kickstarter. I remember I really cared about these calculations and forecasts back in late 2012.
Nah, WL2 was my first. I do find it much less boring than most people, I guess. It is somewhat fascinating to me, being a business model that is still in its infancy.

Fairfax

Arcane
I'm an economist too. I think this business model has passed its heyday, but good luck.
Not taking any chances with it myself, I just find it interesting, as I find the gaming industry in general. I don't think it'll ever be as big a some seem to expect, but it could be a viable model to keep a smaller studio running for years.

Darkzone

Arcane
*The daily average for 5 days after the initial 3 is currently $50,588, but not a single campaign has ever kept that average.
By that I meant no campaign has ever kept the average for the first 5 middle days across all of the middle days.

Yes that is true, but doesn't mean that much. The average page per day will most probably drop now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom