Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
day and night cycles not only adds to the immersion of a game, it also adds more life to NPCs, and creates fun options for gameplay.

don't tell me this doesn't do anything for you:
walking in athkatla at night, hearing the night sounds, your companions yawning and asking for sleep,
riding the plains of hyrule as dawn breaks and monsters are destroyed,
approaching a campfire at night in the mojave wasteland, wondering if there are any thugs around,
rushing to your home at night as creepers start hissing around you,
meeting with shady dealers who will only come out at night,
see the lights go on and fireflies come out, towns and cities shining in the distance,
being able to sneak in somewhere as the day shift guards are leaving.

seriously. in an open world game, there are few things as interesting as a day/night dynamic.

being an open world game is the only thing this game has going for it besides the combat.

lurker3000

Arcane
Day/night cycles for NPC add nothing to the game, and it is a waste of resources. They should focus that time and money on gameplay, systems, story and music.

It only adds nothing to the game if the developers add nothing to the night cycle.

walking in athkatla at night, hearing the night sounds, your companions yawning and asking for sleep,

I loved this. The nighttime sounds in the slums/bridge distinct were awesome.

seriously. in an open world game, there are few things as interesting as a day/night dynamic.

To be fair OS is not an open world game.

Black

Arcane
They probably wouldn't be able to implement tasteful rape orcs partake in.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Orcs wouldn't make sense given the lore.

At most you could expect an imp, but I doubt it.

Shammy

Learned
Orcs wouldn't make sense given the lore.

At most you could expect an imp, but I doubt it.
I wasn't even aware there were orcs in Divinity lore. But yeah Imps would, if at all, be the most suitable race for em to add as playable. We got us some Undead though, what more do you need? :bounce:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wasn't even aware there were orcs in Divinity lore.

There were orcs in D:OS, they're chaotic evil. Victoria in Cyseal was a rare exception, but with orc/other race relations being what they are, they'd sooner kill an orc than go through some lengthy process of purging its source powers.

Shammy

Learned
There were orcs in D:OS, they're chaotic evil. Victoria in Cyseal was a rare exception, but with orc/other race relations being what they are, they'd sooner kill an orc than go through some lengthy process of purging its source powers.
Oh yeah I completely forgot about them, I guess I was thinking more in line with Half-Orcs for whatever stupid reason. They may be able to work as a companion, but no chance they'd ever be PC's.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
There were orcs in D:OS, they're chaotic evil. Victoria in Cyseal was a rare exception.
Wasn't one of the political decisions in Dragon Commander about orc slave rights? Pretty sure it was. No reason there shouldn't be pockets of more civilized orcs in modern day Rivellon.

With orc/other race relations being what they are, they'd sooner kill an orc than go through some lengthy process of purging its source powers.
The exact same argument can be made about undead.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
To be fair OS is not an open world game.
it's not a bethesda "open world" game but it still aspires to allow you to kind of go where you want and do what you want.

there's not much to do besides fighting though, because it's a boring game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom