Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #17: That's a Wrap

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Level based area progress (cleaning the areas suitable for your level), skipping through story/dialogs fast forwarding to combat, level based generated loot whoring...

Sure they made combat more complex, added exploration/puzzles and interaction possibilities within the world. But that's basically an improvement on the formula (for us). Think about it from the mainstream perspective. I didn't say it was a diablo clone - it is more in style of diablo (which is enough for the mainstream appeal).

Anyway my point was - i would not say "hardcore market is super viable because Divinity was a success". If you like it or not, Divinity has a strong mainstream appeal.

Please do elaborate, unless you are just :hahyou:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Please do elaborate.
Not sure what's more to say. I guess the question is:
Was Divinity a success because casuals were triggered by Diablo looks and "modern BG" reviews? Contrary to "it did well, because there is market of old school RPGs" (there is, but big enough?).

And personally i do think that, while technically impressive and certainly creative at times, the RPG formula in Divinity is fairly simplistic. Thus my comparison to Diablo, which might have been to much, i admit.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sorry, was supposed to be elaborate this: "If you like it or not, Divinity has a strong mainstream appeal."

I haven't check the numbers, but I suppose that not SO many people have played the game?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Larian2Monies.png

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Sorry, was supposed to be elaborate this: "If you like it or not, Divinity has a strong mainstream appeal."

I haven't check the numbers, but I suppose that not SO many people have played the game?
Whether or not you win the game... matters not. It's if you bought it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom