Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Kickstarter Update #13: Chris Avellone is in!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I object to Avellone being referred to as unemployed. He's a freelancer. :M

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Never heard of that. You must be confusing him with Feargus who I believe even did all the writing for Shattered Steel (Bioware's first game).
I remembered wrong: it's like Kz3r0 said, the collaboration goes back to before BG2, and the thanks credit is for BG1. Somehow though I remember long past interview(s) where it was said that the Black Isle team had a big impact on Bioware's design, which motivated/helped the move from BG1's more dungeon-crawly approach to BG2's more story focussed. Can't be arsed to dig for it though.

Fairfax

Arcane
The MCA effect: at $26k, this is already the most funded day in the campaign since 09/10, and that one made 30k, so I'm pretty sure it'll beat it as well, making it the most funded since 09/04.

Drax

Arcane
:love:
cXHJfxc.png
I've just watched the video.
Never had such a strong orgasm before.

Edit: Fix your internet svwvwvwvvvven.

Rupuka

Novice
"TwitchCon in San Francisco" What kind of misanthropic monster would unleash something like that on earth?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I notice the Codex DOS2 campaign has gone up $2000 since yesterday.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Have to say I'd rather see him as a lead writer on a project so we get a complete story from him rather than him writing a small area or a couple characters in a game.

Fairfax

Arcane
Have to say I'd rather see him as a lead writer on a project so we get a complete story from him rather than him writing a small area or a couple characters in a game.
People always say that when his work on KS games is mentioned, and I agree, I mean, who (among those who like his work) wouldn't like to see him as lead? Until we have that, a small role is better than no involvement at all, isn't it?
At least in this case there won't be any disappointment like PoE, we know in rough terms how much he'll write already.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Late to the party.

Move aside MCA and whatever that 'thanks' was to, my 3D waifu is back, hotter. :martini:
Hats off Swen, cast and crew, for most of the video scenes filmed are probably 1-take (not discounting any rehearsals); exemplified by the previous Québec video update. :smug:

P.S. I liked this cancelled title name, 'The Lady, the Mage and the Knight', for the kid in me.

roshan

Arcane
I remembered wrong: it's like Kz3r0 said, the collaboration goes back to before BG2, and the thanks credit is for BG1. Somehow though I remember long past interview(s) where it was said that the Black Isle team had a big impact on Bioware's design, which motivated/helped the move from BG1's more dungeon-crawly approach to BG2's more story focussed. Can't be arsed to dig for it though.

Feargus made a really long post in the old BIS forums detailing Black Isle's involvement in the design, testing, music and writing of BG2, it was a pretty major contribution that went way beyond just publishing (if I recall correctly BIS even had a team up in Canada at one point), which kind of explains why Bioware games turned into complete shit immediately after leaving the Interplay orbit. It was BIS that provided the "magic touch" that made the BG games good. I'll always consider the BG series to be BIS games first and foremost.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
she said MCA worked on Baldur's Gate.
Also said Fallout instead of Fallout 2.

Anyway, now I am inclined to throw some bucks into the project.
All I have to do now is to ask a hobo to use his credit card because as sure as hell I'll not have my personal information held by this prestigious magazine.

Grimlorn

Arcane
People always say that when his work on KS games is mentioned, and I agree, I mean, who (among those who like his work) wouldn't like to see him as lead? Until we have that, a small role is better than no involvement at all, isn't it?
At least in this case there won't be any disappointment like PoE, we know in rough terms how much he'll write already.
Yeah I'm just saying I'd rather see him as a lead on a project. I kind of think that all these small parts on different games get in the way of him possibly taking a lead somewhere as he's busy working on small parts of several games rather than focusing on a single project.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The guy is a rockstar now. It wont be long before he leads a project. Either in Inxile or Larian, maybe in neither.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Feargus made a really long post in the old BIS forums detailing Black Isle's involvement in the design, testing, music and writing of BG2, it was a pretty major contribution that went way beyond just publishing
Link, please?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The story of Black Isle being heavily involved in the development of the Baldur's Gate series is a myth. Feargus told them to make a D&D RPG and came up with the name "Baldur's Gate" and that was about it. If there was anything more, he surely would have mentioned it in his recent and very detailed Matt Chat interview.

See also here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...re-release-thread.75304/page-205#post-3343030

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Feargus made a really long post in the old BIS forums detailing Black Isle's involvement in the design, testing, music and writing of BG2, it was a pretty major contribution that went way beyond just publishing (if I recall correctly BIS even had a team up in Canada at one point), which kind of explains why Bioware games turned into complete shit immediately after leaving the Interplay orbit. It was BIS that provided the "magic touch" that made the BG games good. I'll always consider the BG series to be BIS games first and foremost.

Well, that actually explains a lot.

Weasel
The story of Black Isle being heavily involved in the development of the Baldur's Gate series is a myth. Feargus told them to make a D&D RPG and came up with the name "Baldur's Gate" and that was about it. If there was anything more, he surely would have mentioned it in his recent and very detailed Matt Chat interview.

See also here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...re-release-thread.75304/page-205#post-3343030

I assume you mean Baldurs Gate and not BG2 though? They were involved in BG2 in various ways (this article by Ray Muzyka is pretty informative):
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131493/baldurs_gate_ii_the_anatomy_of_a_.php

During testing we adopted a very sound task and bug tracking method introduced to us by Feargus Urquhart, the Director of Black Isle Studios and Chris Parker and Doug Avery, our Black Isle producers (all of whom helped the project in many different ways).

Interesting relationship with Black Isle actually: "In conclusion we'd like to thank all of the people that worked on Baldur's Gate II, both on the development team at BioWare and at our publisher Black Isle Studios/Interplay."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom