Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Aenra

I'd like Larian to hire Chris Avellone as creative director and make a story-focused RPG.

Nah.. see whichever way you see it, good or bad, we've had our share of these story-centric, 'serious', deep and engaging fanfares of verbal diarrhea; not really eager for yet one more.
(exaggerating aside, honestly not eager. Don't care how good the potential is, just.. no).

To be fair, we've had a fuckton of isometric ones as well, other kind of camera modes exist in RPGs as well, but that's a different story :)

Aenra

Knowing how dangerously close i am to /summoning Lacrymas into this and as such leaving the conversation altogether, lol, i'd also add that story in a piece of literature and story in an RPG should have been two different things.

With a book, you got to imagine it all, which is half the joy. The game has it ready for you, no imagination required. So exploit the tech and the graphics to give context and let the story up to me. Few tidbits here and there, a book lying on the floor; and me left alone to connect the pieces. I get to use my head and there's lesser a chance of my getting disappointed.
And the fuckers can't even do that. Too young, too.. modern. They don't have it :(

Imagine an RPG where the story unfolds like in the Myst games and the tidbits are found like they were in Morrowind. hmm?
They can't though, they are of the same generation their audience is.. so, no.

otsego

Cipher
And Divinity 3 in 2020

While i get the sentiment, i am hoping for some change. No more divinity please.. be it literally or even thematically.
Whatever its charms and they have been many, i think (just me) that you can only push the same style (in combat, in humor, in setting, in lore) so much. In the end it's only gonna bite you in the ass.

A 'new' thing would make me very excited and curious, i'd be wondering, anticipating (wouldn't with Divinity 900278). Haven't had that feeling from Larian, kinda nice if i did.

I agree. DOS:2 is my most anticipated title right now, but I've commented on Swen's personal blog that I'd love to see something brand new from them. They seem to be in the best position they've ever been in, I'd love to see them break away from the Divinity universe and try something new.

Aenra

but I've commented on Swen's personal blog

He ever replies, do your duty citizen and let us know of the answer.

( reaaaally, really want a proper first/third person from Larian. Think i've said it before somewhere [sorry, lol], but imagine a Dragon Knight Saga done with no publisher pressing them and three times the budget... :bounce: )

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
but I've commented on Swen's personal blog

He ever replies, do your duty citizen and let us know of the answer.

( reaaaally, really want a proper first/third person from Larian. Think i've said it before somewhere [sorry, lol], but imagine a Dragon Knight Saga done with no publisher pressing them and three times the budget... :bounce: )
That's an oxymoron if I ever saw one.

Aenra

If you're referring to my mentioning the Dragon Knight Saga when just a post up i said 'no more Divinity', i obviously (or so i thought, sorry) meant it as an example of what they could accomplish in said type of RPGs; ie that there's potential there too.

In terms of lore/setting, i did mean what i said. No more 'Sourcery' please :)

Aenra

I'm not sure Swen is capable of doing anything else.

I think you're confusing the necessities behind a very small team, limited time and a publisher on the proverbial back (ie what you'd known of Larian prior to D:OS I) with what the actual potential and creativity levels are. Rather unfair.

There were tons of notes, written pieces (check my post here http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...-discussion-thread.101891/page-4#post-4411679), ideas and desires that never found their way in; just not feasible. The first time they've had free reign was with D:OS (and even then, they didn't, not really. They had debts galore, ie time pressure). And i think it's fair to say they went wild with it, really showed what they could do.
Moving on to hypothesis, i'd also say that when you have a set of specific ideas that you've been dying to implement for like two decades (more actually) but never could, it kinda follows you will when given the chance.

Doesn't mean it's all they have :)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now they created five GM mode related internal branches:

gamemastercb1 - Group1
gamemastercb2 - Group2
gamemastercb3 - Group3
gamemastercb4 - Group4
gamemastercb5 - Group5

I guess "cb" means closed beta?

Also it looks like new patch is coming.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A retry of torment numa's crisis system with competent combat engine like divinity has limitless potential.

Imagine the numbers of unique scenario we can have with it. Puzzles, puzzle boss battles. You just need competent designer for it.

Imagine fighting an invincible monster in a ruined lab, you power the lab equipment with electricity attack to destroy it. You encounter fast shadowy monster, and force them ito coming out by freezing the floor so it slip when it dodge your attack. A dangerous monster horde is approaching, use your control of the elements to slow the horde while your party escape. Hostage situation, either slaughter the terrorist or use the environment to your advantage. Boil water to create steam mist and stealth your way to resque the prisoner. Tame a dragon by roasting it wild animals for food.

I can fucking go on and on and on about the brilliance of the idea of the crisis system and how ineptile utterly, utterly fail to make use of that great idea.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I'd rather have them take their time so don't have to wait a year after release for the enchanted edition.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
so what's up with surfaces now? After a combat the areas affected never revert to normal. Fire doesn't burn out, the ice stays forever, I keep trapping my party with no egress despite getting a cup of coffee, taking a shit, etc.
It's making magic not worth it in anyplace ill need to revisit multiple times, and i dont have a full arsenal of all schools yet.

JasonNH

Augur
Swen is hyping up some upcoming news today.

... also this guy, who is one of their level designers

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
GM mode previews:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/09/divinity-original-sin-2-gm-mode-preview/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...al-sin-2s-very-convincing-new-gamemaster-mode
https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/9/15...ster-mode-gameplay-video-dungeons-and-dragons
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/divinity-original-sin-2s-game-master-mode-preview
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05...ts-you-create-your-own-tabletop-rpg-campaigns
https://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-o...ii-game-master-mode-dungeons-dragons-tabletop
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3195...-tabletop-rpg-sim-youve-been-waiting-for.html
http://www.pcgamer.com/watch-larian...st-divinity-game-in-divinity-original-sin-2s/

Looks like they provide very comprehensive tools for GM, heh.

jx5g3a3.jpg

RYJKKKm.jpg

OsUyUgq.jpg

TqhI9eS.jpg

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And KS update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1880437

Kickstarter Update #36 - How Do You Wanna Do This?

Assemble Your Party

Hello, and welcome to Kickstarter Upda- Wait is that Matt Mercer?

Why yes, it is! You see, we promised you a bunch of stretch goals, and while we've enjoyed sharing the progress we've made on most of them, there's one that we've been very quiet about. The big one. The $2 million question, so to speak: What about Game Master Mode?

Well, we've spent the last two years building, tweaking, polishing, and testing it, and we're finally ready to show you what it can do. And who better to put it through its paces than Matt Mercer, Jesse Cox, Dodger, Strippin and Bikeman?

Matt (of Critical Role and voice acting fame) will lead some of our favorite streamers in his very own custom adventure, and you’ll be able to see it live TODAY! We’re absolutely thrilled to be streaming it on our Twitch channel later today (9th May) at 4pm PT. So tune in and see what Game Master Mode can do in the hands of a story-telling virtuoso!

Of course, we needed more people to test our new drag and drop tabletop, so Swen swung by some friends in Seattle. This is what happened:

Master of the Gameverse!
This, my friends, is the ultimate power trip. In Game Master Mode, you can write stories, create NPCs (both heroic friends and fiendish enemies), build your own customisable items and treasure, craft the scenes in which your tale will play out, and much, much more as you lead your friends through the ultimate role-playing adventure.

Will you be a kind and benevolent god, or will you cover every available surface in harsh, unforgiving flame? It’s entirely your choice, as up to four players put their fates in your hands and start off on an adventure through your collective imaginations.

Tell Your Stories, Your Way
With Game Master Mode, we set out to create something that bridges the freedom of tabletop role-playing, and the interactivity and visual presentation of a computer RPG.

We built Game Master Mode to be as flexible as possible, so you can adapt to your friends on the fly and create a truly reactive world. Do your players want to burn down an NPC’s home? Make a pact with, rather than kill, the demonic boss? Perhaps they want to parlay with the pack of rabid wolves using pet pal? Even if you haven’t planned for it, you can adapt quickly to their choices and still deliver a story that feels real.

Whether you’re new to tabletop role-playing or an experienced GM, we’ve worked hard to make sure this is easy to pick up and intuitive to use. We also have prepared campaigns so you can jump straight in, working with a preexisting world to get a feel for the tool or, of course, you can create your own.

260e4a83aa32c2f0e26a53f4e0ca7c7d_original.gif

Craft Your World
Game Master mode comes with a variety of world maps and over 100 pre-made locations! But of course, you can always upload your own world map or craft your own location in our powerful Divinity Engine Editor.

477dc1d35801b7a68407bc3577ad6de2_original.gif

Mood Lighting
Tweak the atmosphere, ambience, music, time of day (why yes, there is a night option), weather and more to fine-tune your story!

5ccc1b5bdf359178877acc16c187201f_original.gif

Create Unforgettable Encounters
Unleash the bestiary with hundreds of monsters and characters from the Divinity universe or download player-made characters and enemies from Steam Workshop. Give characters unique skills and name them. Cover the landscape in any of our elemental surfaces using our Surface Painter. Make the fight worthwhile by creating unique items for the players to loot.

e19991bc07e827dd837b46a7fff243e6_original.jpg

Assume Direct Control
Control any enemy or NPC directly by possessing them.

0d2cc95f0fe3003d0022a3c534532666_original.jpg

Tell Your Tale with the Vignette System
Add NPC dialogue, narration, and present difficult choices with our powerful Vignette System. Add your own graphics and even additional dialog options on the fly! Managing different dialogs and encounters is now as simple as creating a presentation.

0b6f6692a3801729d85b6d09d2b6decd_original.gif

It's easy as creating a powerpoint presentation. But... you know, fun.

A Roll of the Dice
We brought in the essential component of every tabletop session: skill checks. Let your players roll the dice to see whether they succeed or fail!

31329268091b7bafaacf144d63910aea_original.jpg

Play Together and Share Your Creations
Tell your story in real-time, no rulebooks needed. Possess creatures, level up the party, create new locations, encounters and items on the fly. Tell your stories, your way - and share them with the world using Steam Workshop!

e42882d1d61fad9e9102946e52a1ec8c_original.gif

Building a scene is drag'n'drop simple.

We couldn’t be happier with how Game Master Mode has turned out, and we can’t wait to let you play it, but there’s still some work to be done. Game Master Mode will be available when Divinity: Original Sin 2 launches, later in 2017.

Patch Inbound
Switching gears, we also want to announce that another patch is coming up very soon! It is quite a big one and has given us some real technical headaches but we’ve finally got them figured out!

We think.

All going well, there will be quite a major patch coming up in the following weeks, so look out for that.

And that’s all for this Kickstarter update. We’re ridiculously proud of the team for the work they’ve put into the Game Master Mode and we can’t wait for you to see it in action on our Twitch channel later today!

Renevent

Cipher
Pretty damn impressive! Looks like they will actually accomplish what Sword Coast Legends attempted.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is what we were invited to Larian to see. Maybe we'll still have the opportunity.

Also, is that a Forgotten Realms map? Roll for defense against lawsuits.

EDIT: Heh, should have watched the video first.

Last edited:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Wish they would put all of this effort into the SP campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom