Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sizzle

Arcane
Some of the problems with fights in the original was that they often took place in huge areas, with enemies and your party dispersed, idle animations made it hard to target enemies, skills and attack animations took way too long, turn speed was terrible.

Fights should be smaller, less enemies, better designed encounters, no idle animations, faster animations.

The fights in D:OS 2 are definitely not smaller in my experience. In some cases they can be larger even. However they did improve the encounters just by having the elevation element with the map design to match. Also the enemies past level 4 or so have a substantially larger bag of tricks in terms of skills and consumables than do D:OS 1 enemies. They are also more ruthless in terms of targeting weakened party members.

Yeah... but that only adds to the fights being longer, like in the original, its fun a couple of times, but then it becomes a game breaking feature that turns off players from ever touching the game again.

Agreed. No matter how fun the combat system is, having yet another drawn-out fight with several skeletons, and waiting, waiting, waiting until they finished their actions, is what (well - that and the writing) turned me off of the game, even though I wanted to like it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Some of the problems with fights in the original was that they often took place in huge areas, with enemies and your party dispersed, idle animations made it hard to target enemies, skills and attack animations took way too long, turn speed was terrible.

Fights should be smaller, less enemies, better designed encounters, no idle animations, faster animations.
I disagree. The small fights I thought were boring because they were too easy. I hit some barrels and filled the place with oil, moved my guys out the way, and burned hell out of all the enemies. Not much survives that, especially when you have a second dps that can blast shit that is already half dead from the fire. The only fun challenge I got were from bigger battles, my 4 guys vs 20 enemies all over the place. I had to tactically send my tank out to a group of enemies to the side, knowing that he would be too far away to get heals from anyone for a while. Then I would have my healer and a pet take a few guys and my dps would try to kills shit asap and switch targets based on which group mate was dying too fast. Stuff like that is what tactical games are all about. I think if you would pick faster combat over stuff like that, you would be better playing something else.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
One feature I would love is to be able to leave overworld chat on, especially for companions, but just get text when in conversation. So I can hear things out loud when I'm going about my business, especially companion chatter, but I don't have to hear the voice acting when I've already read the text box so much faster.

You could turn off audible speech in DOS 1, but the conversation and overworld speech were connected.

Aenra

having yet another drawn-out fight with several skeletons, and waiting, waiting, waiting until they finished their actions

See, this is how we get to have shit.
Look at you here; maybe you aren't a fucking asshole, so let's discuss this:

- It's a turn-based combat game. Yet you complain about turns.
- It's a modern turn-based game, enemies have some form of animations during 'waiting' and during 'combat'; they don't sit still as they would in some indy production. Yet you complain about 'drawn out'/prolongued 'actions', ie about the 'AAA' touch. Basement works best..?
- Combat in D:OS(I or II) can get complicated, combat in D:OS (I or II) can have multiple opponents, increasing the likelihood of things not going as planned; which is good. Yet you complain about more skeletons down the line, ie you complain about said more enemies, ie effectively, you complain about said very complexity everyone salutes in this game.

Sense? No.

If you don't like TB, all good (though you came to the wrong forum).
If you think you like TB but are actually too fucking lazy for it you might want to re-examine what and how gets you annoyed.

Missing an opponent because of an idle, having a two minute interval between click and effect, that's one thing. Bitching about prolongued fights and multiple opponents? GTFO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
having yet another drawn-out fight with several skeletons, and waiting, waiting, waiting until they finished their actions

- It's a modern turn-based game, enemies have some form of animations during 'waiting' and during 'combat'; they don't sit still as they would in some indy production. Yet you complain about 'drawn out'/prolongued 'actions', ie about the 'AAA' touch. Basement works best..?
- Combat in D:OS(I or II) can get complicated, combat in D:OS (I or II) can have multiple opponents, increasing the likelihood of things not going as planned; which is good. Yet you complain about more skeletons down the line, ie you complain about said more enemies, ie effectively, you complain about said very complexity everyone salutes in this game.

Sense? No.

If you think you like TB but are actually too fucking lazy for it you might want to re-examine what and how gets you annoyed.

Missing an opponent because of an idle, having a two minute interval between click and effect, that's one thing. Bitching about prolongued fights and multiple opponents? GTFO.

There's good TB combat, then there's shit TB combat, D:OS I&II fit right in the middle... mediocre, slow, cumbersome, drawn out.

This shit is not Final Fantasy tactics, i dont want to spend 30m killing some fucking low level skeletons.

Underrail, developed by a small team, for a fraction of the money, converted from a real time combat engine, manages to blow D:OS out of the water when it comes to TB.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Maybe it's not Pools of Darkness, and I wouldn't even say it's unquestionable, but D:OS combat is good, not as good in the end as in the beginning but good.

Cadmus

Arcane
holy shit the AI update sounds cool as all hell

I started the EA version, got killed a few times already, I just need to get over the exposition heavy start cuz thats really boring

Sizzle

Arcane

Sense? No.

TB combat is the best possible combat for an RPG.

What I complained about is the slow speed of enemies' actions between turns. It's the same problem many other such TB games, such as Wizardry 8, had when there were too many enemies participating in a fight, and it can easily be solved by putting in a combat speed slider.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I kinda agree, and I can appreciate people thinking it is too slow, that is something that a modern game should easily handle with options for animation speed etc. Whatever excuse Larian makes about that, is not really acceptable. I didn't think it was cumbersome, except for the missclick during an animation issue. Other than that I thought the engine was really good. I also personally never found it slow, but maybe I was being lenient because I was enjoying myself. As for drawn out... Yeah. The first time I played the game, I went all the way through to completion and loved every battle.

But weirdly, I waited a few years for a second play through, and played again with the Extended Edition came along. But that time I found it really boring and tedious. I still enjoyed most of the boss fights, but by the time I made it to the forest mid game with lots of big fights, I just got so bored and uninstalled. I feel like turn based becomes really bad when you are fighting trash. You have to care about the fight. It is perfect for boss fights or any fight that really matters - like the first fight in the game when you are anxious to get your first bit of xp and before you are strong enough to wreck the place. Landmark fights are always exciting but fighting groups of trash can become really boring.

I just figured it was because the combat isn't really deep enough. At first it is interesting to play with the combos, oil everything up, then burn it and it all takes so much damage. Then rain and electricity to zap everything etc. But there isn't much else to the game, especially if you focus on a few elements because the whole game becomes all about poison or oil + fire = gg. It is fun at first but after you get to grips with it, there is nothing new to learn and not much fun from the fights. To me it was good enough for really good play through, but not good enough for multiple plays.

But that is why I want DoS2 because I am assuming they are going to build upon the skills the first game has and hopefully add some more depth.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.egx.net/rezzed/news/divinity-original-sin-2-talk-revealed-for-egx-rezzed

Divinity: Original Sin 2 talk revealed for EGX Rezzed

Swen Vincke, founder of Larian Studios, will take to the stage at EGX Rezzed 2017 to present a talk on Divinity: Original Sin 2, the sequel to 2014's critically acclaimed RPG masterpiece.

In particular Swen will go into detail on the new Origin Stories feature that is set to enrich the co-op and single-player experience by giving characters compelling - and sometimes competing - motivations to fulfil their own destiny. Swen's panel will address the challenges of building fully-fledged narratives that play nice inside the main story when the characters themselves don't, all while leaving room for players to create their own experiences from scratch.

The session will take place on Thursday the 30th March at 2pm and will be live streamed on Twitch and uploaded to the EGX YouTube channel shortly afterwards.

This is the latest of many reveals for EGX Rezzed 2017, look out for further updates very soon! Tickets are available to buy here.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
So what's the deal with the new attributes? Just some number tweaking or something more fundamental?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The red Prince is indeed the most interesting of the characters available so far in the early access.

But that fucking dialogue system, character says this, thinks that, does this... Is so off-putting, and harder to read even.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Across the River - The 'Other' Kingdom - The Great Respawn Point in the Sky - whatever you call the place you go after you die, we know it as the Hall of Echoes.

It's been a perpetual favourite in Divinity games, but in #DivinityOriginalSin2 you'll be able to travel there for the first time! Now whether you'll be able to get back is another matter entirely...

http://www.divinity.game/hall-of-echoes

HOE_Details.png

What is the Hall of Echoes?

There are many stories about the so-called Hall of Echoes - a place of mystery upon mystery, myth upon legend.

Most imagine the Hall as a sort of afterlife - a place where souls lost to each other in the mortal realm can reunite in death. It is said that these souls may enter into the Forge, where they will be reborn and re-integrated into the world of the living, or into the Void, where they will be lost forever. Whispers of 'Until the Hall' abound at funerals and wakes - a reassurance that the lost are not lost forever.

Skeptics, as they are wont to do, declare this pure fantasy. They insist the Hall is one of two things: A figment of the collective imagination, or simply a misunderstood realm not so unlike our own. But as the scientific and theological debate rages on it seems that the only fact we know for sure is that we have absolutely no idea what the truth is.

Fact or fiction, the Hall of Echoes is the source of great comfort and even greater imagination for the denizens of Rivellon. What truly waits within the Hall? The echoes of loved ones? Undiscovered lands? Whatever your view - believer or skeptic - we’re all going to find out someday...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
So this is the lore for the new secret system methinks. They've been lowkey talking about it since inception, and it is supposed to be announced soonish. Hype!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom