Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vibalist

Arcane
Div:OS is a mediocre+ game with story and writing so shitty I don't give a rat's ass about neither (and think it's hilarious that a self-proclaimed writing geek cares in anyway about this material)

Were the latter parts that shitty? I remember being annoyed with the HP bloat, but I didn't notice any marked drop in quality, except maybe in Hiberheim/Hibenheim/whatever.

I can't even begin to think how one would describe other recent RPG's if D:OS was merely 'mediocre+'. I thought it was a case of excellent game design (random loot and inventory system notwithstanding) that oozed atmosphere (not least because of the MUSIC!) and was very original by modern standards.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The combat was great in DOS and the rest was mediocre.

I'm hoping they improved the rest, then it will be from mediocre to great.

Prime Junta

how many of you did finish the first one?

I played through it twice, both times on Tactician difficulty. Enjoyed Cyseal on both of the playthroughs, didn't care for the rest but for different reasons. The first time I hated the endless mines and stupid pixel-hunting puzzles but enjoyed the fights; the second time the mines and puzzles didn't bother me because I knew where they are/what the solutions are, but since I also knew about the fights, they had lost most of their excitement too and just became a tedious grind.

Also, I was disappointed at how samey the gameplay was with both of my parties despite a materially different composition. I was still relying on AoE status effects; the only thing that changed was that the second time around I was using grenades more since I only had one caster.

Entirely unlike Pillars, where your party composition drastically changes the gameplay. So nyah.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Has there been any news on whether or not controller support will be included at launch? I want to know if I'll be able to jump right into the coop multiplayer.

<< Controller support. >>

Triggered yet? :lol:

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Is combat going to be a case of waiting forever for enemy turns to finish? I don't care about their animations - and watching an idiot wave their hands for multiple seconds to do *part* of a turn is just not on.

Part of the reason I like turn based games is because, paradoxically, they can be faster than real time ones. D:OS fucking ate shit in that regard.
Yes, except this time it's going to be worse because before you can even touch their HP you have to drain their Physical Armor/Magic Armor bars, while afflicting them with status effects is deadlier than in the previous game.
Basically, either every fight drags on for 30 minutes or is over in 10 seconds depending on the environment.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't the different armors work like just another HP bar on top? I haven't played beta so I wouldn't know, but by what I've glimpsed that's what it seems like. Or you can't afflict them with magic/physical based attacks at all, so even status effects don't go through before the corresponding armor is down?

Sentinel

Arcane
Don't the different armors work like just another HP bar on top? I haven't played beta so I wouldn't know, but by what I've glimpsed that's what it seems like. Or you can't afflict them with magic/physical based attacks at all, so even status effects don't go through before the corresponding armor is down?
Yeah armor just adds to your Physical Armor and/or Magical Armor bar. Status effects only go through if the bar that corresponds to the saving throw (PhysBar/MagBar) is depleted.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Div:OS is a mediocre+ game with story and writing so shitty I don't give a rat's ass about neither (and think it's hilarious that a self-proclaimed writing geek cares in anyway about this material) I'm just here for the supadupacool gameplay and my biggest hope for Div:OS 2 is more of the openness of Cyseal and less of the shitty slog of the late game.

This. A game with a gameplay strength of an ogre and about the same intelligence.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Yes, except this time it's going to be worse because before you can even touch their HP you have to drain their Physical Armor/Magic Armor bars, while afflicting them with status effects is easier than in the previous game.
Doesn't armor, magic or otherwise, protect against status effects? That's how it was in the early days of EA, did it change? It was also the reason why Glass Cannon was basically shit as there never was a chance to actually use those extra APs because you were always paralyzed, stunned etc.
Glass Cannon is good, especially if you abuse extra AP abilities on top of it, but you have to watch your positioning. You need to attack from flanks, use stealth, high ground, walls, or just kill everything nearby before your turn ends. It's very powerful but slightly harder to use.

Also it's good to have team mates with abilities like First Aid that can remove status effects before it's the Glass Cannon's go.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Whether or not I care about writing, or any specific writing, doesn't have anything to do with my unwillingness to be spoiled

ehm, yes, yes it quite obviously does. If you don't care about the story, you don't care about getting it spoiled since... you don't care about it.

Oh, please, you won't recognize good writing or a good game anywhere

Ouch, can you show me on the doll where I hurt you?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Not having either good writing or a good story automatically disqualifies it from being anywhere near or close to the top crpgs made even in recent times.

Still its one of the all time favs and darlings for codex, makes u think..

The survey Larian they did is still funny to me.

Storyfags all the fans of Larian, yet they can't fucking into anything worthwhile in that department.

Kek

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has there been any news on whether or not controller support will be included at launch? I want to know if I'll be able to jump right into the coop multiplayer.

Triggered yet? :lol:

Yes it will.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I would still love the game if there was no story and just a series of battles, puzzle dungeons and cities to plunder.

Only a nerd would play a video game for the story.

edit: or a woman

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I would still love the game if there was no story and just a series of battles, puzzle dungeons and cities to plunder.

Only a nerd would play a video game for the story.

edit: or a woman

You're right. Fallout and PS:T are shit games. If only they were regarded higher on the KODEX, rite? :shittydog:

PrettyDeadman

Not having either good writing or a good story automatically disqualifies it from being anywhere near or close to the top crpgs made even in recent times.
What are you talking about? There are no good writing or good stories in videogames period.
Now tell me, how can not having either good writing or a good story disqualifiy a game from being anywhere near or close to the top crpgs made when those crpg automatically don't have good writing or a good story by being videogames?
You didn't really though this through, haven't you?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
ehm, yes, yes it quite obviously does. If you don't care about the story, you don't care about getting it spoiled since... you don't care about it.
How would I know if it's good or not if I haven't spoiled myself? I know it won't be good, but that's besides the point. Also, I didn't want the visual spoilers for the battles, even the maps themselves, I want to be surprised by what I'm going to fight/explore, not have them show me what they have up their sleeves in the fucking trailer. You know games aren't only about writing, right?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
What are you talking about? There are no good writing or good stories in videogames period.
Now tell me, how can not having either good writing or a good story disqualifiy a game from being anywhere near or close to the top crpgs made when those crpg automatically don't have good writing or a good story by being videogames?
You didn't really though this through, haven't you?

You take shitposting above and beyond what I thought possible. Kudos, good sir.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How would I know if it's good or not

ok fair enough I assume you also watch every edition of Transforsmers in the hope that THIS TIME IT WILL BE DIFFERENT even though it will obviously be more of the same

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

There is no groundbreaking writing in videogames, true. Noone in the industry will receive the Nobel or Man Booker anytime soon.

But there is a range. On one edge there's PST and Witcher and ME1. On the other there's Teletubbies and My Little Pony. And DOS is significantly closer to the latter. The fact that gaymers don't mind the writing or even like it is revealing. We are living in the Age of Manchildren after all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lacrymas said:
I want to be surprised by what I'm going to fight/explore, not have them show me what they have up their sleeves in the fucking trailer. You know games aren't only about writing, right?

Are you really stupid enough to believe you can watch a video game trailer without seeing gameplay? I'm baffled. I mean, what the fuck did you expect from a trailer? A black screen and someone saying "buy the game, trust us, it's awesome"

KateMicucci

Arcane
How would I know if it's good or not if I haven't spoiled myself? I know it won't be good, but that's besides the point. Also, I didn't want the visual spoilers for the battles, even the maps themselves, I want to be surprised by what I'm going to fight/explore, not have them show me what they have up their sleeves in the fucking trailer. You know games aren't only about writing, right?
If you didn't want to see the game, then you shouldn't have watched the trailer :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom