Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
do you think Larian has made any efforts to make the itemization better, or less random?
It appears to be slightly less random and more of it is hand placed, but other than that it is pretty much the same shit i'm afraid. I'm a few hours in and it is already turning into a Diablo Loot Simulator again. I really can't hardly wait to find "peasant shirt level 7" (which would of course be better then scale armor level 1)...

Are companions this time more fleshed out
They are.

Baldurs Gate 2 tier?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not even close. The first ten minutes of BG2 has more to offer than what I have seen in the first few hours of D:OS 2.

The first ten minutes of BG2 was intentionally frontloaded with a lot of dialogue from your imouto to make you want to save her. Aside from the romance options, the rest aren't so chatty.

Ziggy

Scholar
Not even close. The first ten minutes of BG2 has more to offer than what I have seen in the first few hours of D:OS 2.

At the beginning of BG2 you get Imoen being annoying. Here you get a douchy merc, an exiled dragon prince, kill bill cannibal elf and a malkavian.

Ziggy

Scholar
Do companions comment on quests?
Yes, after certain moments. Right now you pick what are they saying, like in singleplayer D:OS 1 with party AI off. I think I heard that companion AI is coming but I'm not sure.

Can you interact with them and talk about various things?
You see a glaring 2. [Party Conversations TBA] when you initiate dialogue outside of those moments.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just finished installing on Steam, now I am ready to experience the Diversity 2 for myself.

So is "Explorer Mode" a polite way of saying "casualfag mode"?

I like how it lets you play as a "Lizard", they didn't waste any precious time thinking up creative names for the races.

Edit: Also LOVE the art style. It's a lot more D2:DKS and a lot less World of Warcraft.

Last edited:

imweasel

The first ten minutes of BG2 was intentionally frontloaded with a lot of dialogue from your imouto to make you want to save her. Aside from the romance options, the rest aren't so chatty.
The writing in BG2 is generally better than in D:OS 2, but to be fair a lot of it still missing (party dialogs), which will be implemented later.

But Larian is on the right path, the writing is much better than in D:OS. The style they chose for dialog options is shit though.

So is "Explorer Mode" a polite way of saying "casualfag mode"?
Yep.

Do companions comment on quests? Can you interact with them and talk about various things?
They do but not very often, simply because most of the party dialog hasn't been implemented yet I guess. I have also noticed companions giving off barks expressing how they feel in certain situations, which is a nice touch, but they aren't voiced (yet) like in BG2.

deama

Prophet
Speed slider...
Combat got repetetive quickly in DOS, so I used cheat engine to speed hack it to 2x, worked pretty well and I enjoyed combat a lot more and coudln't get enough of it.

They're using the same engine for DOS2 right? You can just use cheat engine and speed it up. Speeds up movement speed as well.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Speed slider...
Combat got repetetive quickly in DOS, so I used cheat engine to speed hack it to 2x, worked pretty well and I enjoyed combat a lot more and coudln't get enough of it.

They're using the same engine for DOS2 right? You can just use cheat engine and speed it up. Speeds up movement speed as well.

Remind us when the game is released!

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Well, somebody needs to murder elves. Another world, another elves to nerf.
Fuckers have a racial ability that outstoryfags every other and does not de-combatfag them at the same time (mostly cause other racials are shitty boons).

++ For rogue and warrior gameplay though, they play much smoother and much more fun than in DOS1. Especially rogues (was the backstab indicator in EE? Played only original original sin).
+ the new economy - holy fuck the interesting skillbooks are extremely pricey

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
was the backstab indicator in EE?

Yeah, it was in. What is the elven racial ability by the way?

Combat is faster and smoother in D:OS 2.
And you have a top-down view option. No more camera gymnastics trying to click on the correct character.

Oh and it's full turn-based now, no more pausing.

Top-down view was also in the EE.

You can eat the flesh of your fallen enemies. It already sounds too cool for elves, should be for undeads.

It gives you fluff/info and sometimes skills. Not all NPCs drop eatable body parts

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yeah, it was in. What is the elven racial ability by the way?

Top-down view was also in the EE.

Yeah, never played that. I opened it once, saw my savegames aren't compatible, lol'd and went back to vanilla.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
You can eat the flesh of your fallen enemies. It already sounds too cool for elves, should be for undeads.

It gives you fluff/info and sometimes skills. Not all NPCs drop eatable body parts
Can also feed bodyparts to the doggies to make them like you, in conjunction with the Pet Pal ability, which actually seems to be useful in this game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
That female dwarf battlemage has breasts worthy of a good titfuck.
Time to fap my way in.

PS: the dialogue system sucks balls big time. It dissociates player from in game character big time.

Fry

Arcane
Nothing like a bunch of awkward second person directives to keep you in the game, eh?

Odd decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom