Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

YldriE

Learned
Arx turned out to be smaller than I imagined
That's often the case with old games: we overfetishize them but it turns out that they were hard / long just because we had no clue what we were doing when we were younger. I work night shifts and play PS1 games on my tablet and it's absurd how I just breeze through former difficulty walls, and that's not only due to save states and fast forward. I remember Arx Fatalis giving me a lot of grief both in tedium and length and for some reason your observation doesn't surprise me.

Jinn

Arcane
I remember Arx Fatalis giving me a lot of grief both in tedium and length and for some reason your observation doesn't surprise me.

Uh....

:notsureifserious:

Arx is a city in Divinity: Original Sin 2. The game that is being discussed in this thread, which also is the title of this thread.

YldriE

Learned

Well I'll be damned, I am replaying through it and my brain somehow assumed the discussion had shifted, especially since the definition almost fits.

mods delet this pls

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane

Well I'll be damned, I am replaying through it and my brain somehow assumed the discussion had shifted, especially since the definition almost fits.

mods delet this pls

It's all good man, just thought it was a funny and strange response.

Anyway, welcome to the codex!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is DOS2 better than DOS1?

Specifically in regards to holding my attention?
Depends what holds your attention.
DOS1 is a more generic romp with good combat scenarios, DOS2 has more attention in world building etc but has 3-4 really "dubious" game-play decisions which might make it worse for you

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
I'm not a fan of the emphasis placed on tags, it's retarded how you can essentially restart a dialogue with an npc just by initiating it with a different party member (why not have a notification for whenever other NPCs have anything worthwhile/unique to contribute?)

Both are solid, I felt like the first was more of a whimsical adventure. 2 takes itself more serious and kinda runs out of steam. It's not as big as it seems.

DraQ

Arcane
DragoFireheart
DOS2 is generally more interesting in all regards so it's better at holding attention.

It does however feature quite a few "what the fuck I don't even" grade mechanics which may impair your enjoyment to some degree between "mildly annoyed" to "ragequit and mail expletives to Larian", so YMMV.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
2 takes itself more serious and kinda runs out of steam. It's not as big as it seems.

I think the problem is that Act 2 is so vast and has a nice mix of content, both visually and gameplay-wise, compared to 3 and 4. It seems like the world has finally opened up after the first Act (which is itself very good), but then the world only gets smaller and smaller. That being said, it managed to hold my attention far better than the original D:OS when I played it. I blew through D:OS 2 within a fortnight and was playing it whenever I got home from work. D:OS took me several months to get through because I had to take breaks from playing it.

Mazisky

Magister
I know the game doesn't have a day\night cycle but i wanna ask those who finished it...are there fixed night areas at least? like the initial ship. I can't enjoy an rpg if there are not night areas with crickets sounds.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I know the game doesn't have a day\night cycle but i wanna ask those who finished it...are there fixed night areas at least? like the initial ship. I can't enjoy an rpg if there are not night areas with crickets sounds.

One area in Driftwood is in constant dark if that counts

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Mac version is coming: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...ive_Edition_coming_to_Mac_devices_Q1_2019.php

Also selling "far over two million" copies.

Multi award-winning RPG Divinity: Original Sin 2 – Definitive Edition coming to Mac devices Q1 2019

Having won over 200 awards across three platforms, and selling far over two million copies, independently developed Divinity: Original Sin 2 – Definitive Edition is finally coming to Mac devices Q1 2019, developed in a partnership between Saint-Petersburg based Elverils, and the Apple Metal Engineering Team.

Featuring all the lauded content from the PC version of Divinity: Original Sin 2 – Definitive Edition, the Mac version is a bespoke port without compromising on content, or graphical fidelity. In fact, it comes with new features especially for Mac such as full MacBook TouchBar support for quick access to in-game actions, such as the journal or map.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 – Definitive Edition will be the first title on macOS to support HDR (on selected hardware, 10.14+ only). Also supported is iCloud, for easy backup between devices.

In the spirit of adventure, players will be able to enjoy cross play between Windows and macOS, so long as both players have the same version.

A range of controllers – including Apple MFI controllers – are also supported will full vibration support, so there’s no reason not to jump into one of gaming’s most cherished RPG adventures.

As of release, DOS2 is one of only 15 games to get a GameSpot 10/10 score. It won a BAFTA in the Multiplayer category, has won, and was nominated for, hundreds of other awards. This in-depth, sandbox adventure for up to four friends is the highest rated PC game of 2017 on Metacritic.

Larian Studios will follow up with a more specific release date early in 2019.

About Larian Studios

Larian Studios is an independent RPG developer founded in 1996 in Ghent, Belgium. Larian is best known for the Divinity universe, which they introduced to the world with Divine Divinity in 2002. In 2014, Larian launched Divinity: Original Sin, a classic CRPG that won over 150 awards and nominations. The company released its sequel Divinity: Original Sin 2 on September 14, 2017.

Hah:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's hope other developers think it's the turn-based combat, and not the ZANY! WACKY! humor or random items, that made it such a success.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The environmental interactions are fun, but I think they went overboard with them, to the point the entire battlefield is covered in various kinds of shit. I would've preferred they be rarer, but more powerful.

DraQ

Arcane
The environmental interactions are fun, but I think they went overboard with them, to the point the entire battlefield is covered in various kinds of shit. I would've preferred they be rarer, but more powerful.
True that.
Sometimes less is more especially if you otherwise need to nerf your "more" to balance it.
Fun mechanics is made from impactful, decisive actions, not whittling down massive HP/armour walls.

Imagine chess with HPs.
:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom