Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity or Eternity?

Which is better?

• Total voters

set

Cipher
I walked into the cave at the start and realized holy shit the bear was gonna wreck me. I tried to leave the cave but it refused to let me. I literally got 2 shot by the bear and had to start all over.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As much as I enjoyed D:OS, Eternity looks pretty sweet and even runs well on my old rig.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Grimoire is better than both.

Just started playing POE and am taking a break and ordering some food- First couple hours are quite good. Its dark in tone and the story is pretty good and it takes itself serious- A major flaw I found in D:OS which broke immersion for me. Graphics are nice for the most part and thew combat is okay for rtwp. I think the story and 'rpg' part is going to take me through the game and makes it a clear winner over D:OS imho and based on my couple hours playing.

But can you ride on turtle? Can you ride on a fucking turtle? Thought not. Grimoire is the clear winner.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
V_K you're a bro and stuff, but... FUCK YOU , your juvenile scorn and your trigger bait polls.

btw, I haven't played either of this shit. Waiting for DOS enhanced edition and PoE post beta. :smug:

:negative: I'm drunk. :D

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I don't consider D:OS a proper RPG at all but more of an action/hack and slash hybrid RPG. I couldn't play D:OS for more than 20 minutes (character creation not included). The writing, short as it was, was abounding with bad humor that made me feel I'm playing a parody game, no immersion was possible as far as I'm concerned.

Turn based combat
Character creation/advancement is fully controlled
stat and skill based interaction with environment and other NPCs
multiple ways to get through environments, combat encounters, and quests

> not a proper rpg

:hmmm:
Not disagreeing, but I found the Divinity games to also have good adventure elements. Secrets to find, riddles, hidden paths, etc. FoV had the better ones though.

Also agreed that there is more to non-combat gameplay than just dialogue. Writing may be bad but that doesn't mean you are forced to engage in dialogue trees to complete quests in alternate fashions.

In any case, I still haven't read anything about PoE having C&C in dialogue and what not. I don't really care about a good story and writing unless I am actually involved and not just witnessing scenes in-between encounters.

Deleted member 7219

It's not even close. Divinity: Original Sin has an interesting combat system, but what else does it do better than Pillars of Eternity? Certainly not the story, certainly not the characters and while there are some skill checks in dialogue, the writing is lulzy and of little consequence. Divinity has a nice soundtrack in parts, and a good looking, detailed world but Pillars has those too.

Divinity feels like a game deprived of a story. I noticed it fairly early on. I can't find a big flaw in Pillars yet. I'm sure I'll find minor ones, but the problems in Divinity showed up straight away.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I walked into the cave at the start and realized holy shit the bear was gonna wreck me. I tried to leave the cave but it refused to let me. I literally got 2 shot by the bear and had to start all over.

Good. Trying to cheese a fight like a bitch dies like a bitch.

D:OS was just ok. Once I was through Cyseal there just not much desire to keep playing and would not have if there wasn't coop.. A souless and forgettable experience overall. With shit warcrafty graphics.

imweasel

D:OS is better than Pillars of Eternity. As is Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Might and Magic X: Legacy, Wasteland 2, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, Blackguards... Pillars is better than Dead State though.

Pillars has a lot of writing, but the quality fluctuates from excellent to mediocre, which is a bit annoying. Sometimes dialogue is really interesting and well written, other times it just a load of text with numerous options simply for the sake of having loads of text with numerous options. I'm not really digging the mechanics either, some of it is pretty good, but too much of it is really obtuse.

set

Cipher
So far it sits like this for me - in regard to recent RPGs anyway:

Path-err Pillars of Ex- Eterenity - mechanics good, story good
Shadowrun Dragonfall - mechanics good, story good
Divinity Original Sin - mechanics great, story lacking
Darkest Dungeon - mechanics good, story lacking
Age of Decadence - mechanics okay, story good
Underrail - mechanics okay, story okay
Lords of Xulima - mechanics good, story lacking
Shadowrun Returns - mechanics okay, story lacking
Deadstate - mechanics really lacking, story lacking
Wasteland 2 - mechanics lacking, story okay

And by mechanics, I pretty much mean battle/exploration/itemization/challenge/freedom. By story, I mostly mean consequences/choices/party members/world aesthetics/theme/characterization.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

And by mechanics, I pretty much mean battle/exploration/itemization/challenge/freedom. By story, I mostly mean consequences/choices/party members/world aesthetics/theme/characterization.
Hm. I think that is a valid assessment of Divinity. I like that you include mechanics as more than just combat. I also define mechanics like that. Hell, I even consider dialogue choices with consequences to be a mechanic, not just writing.

I will consider PoE now. I really haven't read much about it... just this thread were everyone's like OMG STORY IS AWSUM but won't say that there are interesting mechanics (as you defined) involved within dialogue and also outside of dialogue. Storyfags, I swear.

Jasede misses one category (and perhaps misnomered and/or missing subcategories) of Codexfags.

I am a storyfag in that I enjoy a story where I can involve myself, make differences in the world, really get into exploration that has almost nothing to do with the main quest, etc. Perhaps you can call that a C&C fag.

Not sure if Jasede's second category includes what set said about mechanics that include more than just battle. But that's what I like about Divinities.

Course then I read the rant about the Engagement system and now I'm just turned off.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Div:OS's writing's problem is not that it's not serious enough but that it's too serious. As long as we are dealing with whimsical adventuring the writing is fine, nothing great but overall enjoyable. Then the main storyline kicks in and some edgy retard appears to spout some of the most meaningless, cringeworthy lines ever. This is a constant for most of Larian games. They should read some more Prachett's books or even watch some animus to learn how to merge serious and whimsical. Still the game is pretty great despite the main storyline, pretty much just like all of their games.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Div:OS's writing's problem is not that it's not serious enough but that it's too serious. As long as we are dealing with whimsical adventuring the writing is fine, nothing great but overall enjoyable. Then the main storyline kicks in and some edgy retard appears to spout some of the most meaningless, cringeworthy lines ever. This is a constant for most of Larian games. They should read some more Prachett's books or even watch some animus to learn how to merge serious and whimsical. Still the game is pretty great despite the main storyline, pretty much just like all of their games.
Well that's mainly it for me. I never really felt the story intrude much. I just dicked around a lot exploring.

I agree completely the main story is... ehhhh.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Well that's mainly it for me. I never really felt the story intrude much. I just dicked around a lot exploring.

I agree completely the main story is... ehhhh.

It's not that it was intrusive. It's that it was bad and didn't blend too well with the overall atmosphere of the game. It would be better if they went all the way with whimsical gimmicky villains like King Boreas and The Baron of Bones instead of going with Black Circle 2.0 (or perhaps 0.5 since it takes place before DD?).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OP, both games are good, though it's hard to say much about PoE when I just began playing it, but one thing is certain: Nothing can compare to how good your mom was.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
D:OS just has too boring encounters, maps, abilities and horrible writing to even compete.

Funny, because I could attribute every single one of these features to PoE.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
D:OS was fantastic and made me essentially take several days off work just because I couldn't stop playing it.

PoE is really nice so far, and it's entertaining to just derp around in the starting areas trying out different builds, but I don't find it as enthralling as D:OS. Maybe because I've never been a fan of IE games, and PoE feels pretty much like a BG1 with better lore.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I am sure PoE will win this poll (because Codex loves Obsidian), but it seems unfair to compare them, they are both great in their own ways. I'd pick PoE myself because I like this type of games, but it doesn't mean that it is better than D:OS.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Baldur's Gate is one of the most overrated games in history so even if PoE is better I doubt another generic fantasy cRPG will interest me. DOS had at least some originality to it (plus combat was good). I'm not even interested in pirating PoE, I'll probably buy it on Steam sale though. DOS, Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence and Underrail looked interesting from the start and I bought them before the official release date (except W2 which I bought after the release in Torment bundle). From what I've seen it's mediocre at best and I don't get this Codex hype.

Metatron

Augur
PoE s writing and world building with Divinitys combat would be a game hard to beat within the genre. Sadly it always seems to come down to a trade-off between those two.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I agree except Underrail, it probably has the best mechanics of all IMHO. Especially if we consider LoXs mechanics good.
After all years without proper RPGs, I'm not gonna be picky and embrace them all equal. (well, uhm maybe not Deadstate...:?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom