Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity or Eternity?

Which is better?

• Total voters

Athelas

Arcane
I suspect JES hate mail is about to increase massively in volume. :M

Doktor Best

Arcane
The pixelhunt was neither intuitive nor "subtle hinted". you just hit a brick wall where you cant proceed and then youre supposed to search the complete room, or the room before for fucking tiny "secret switches" completely randomly placed.

D:OS certainly had its strengths, the riddles (with exceptions) and the pacing were definately not among them, they were complete and utter shit and led to alt tabbing and me being pissed at the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not sure if that is humility or simply a humorous deflection.

http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/494705247
I want to make games every day. I may not be good at it, but I have no other skills, no practical knowledge.

If it is not rewarding enough to play on its own, stop playing our terrible game.

The response was not intended to be snarky, but 100% sincere. If participating in a specific type of core gameplay is not enjoyable on its own, our game is bad and I sincerely encourage people to not engage in it/not play the game.

Xenich

Cipher
Not sure if that is humility or simply a humorous deflection.

http://new.spring.me/#!/JESawyer/q/494705247
I want to make games every day. I may not be good at it, but I have no other skills, no practical knowledge.

If it is not rewarding enough to play on its own, stop playing our terrible game.

The response was not intended to be snarky, but 100% sincere. If participating in a specific type of core gameplay is not enjoyable on its own, our game is bad and I sincerely encourage people to not engage in it/not play the game.

Do you have a direct link for the second quote? The first one isn't an admission to PoE being lacking, it was an answer about his general attitude to making games and so isn't in the proper context. The second one I can't seem to track down, even a site: search isn't pulling it up. I would like to see the context of his response.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do you have a direct link for the second quote? The first one isn't an admission to PoE being lacking, it was an answer about his general attitude to making games and so isn't in the proper context. The second one I can't seem to track down, even a site: search isn't pulling it up. I would like to see the context of his response.

It's archived and paywalled, so a link would be useless. It's in response to a post about combat xp.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

It's archived and paywalled, so a link would be useless. It's in response to a post about combat xp.
So just copy that post here...

Context bro, context.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So just copy that post here...

Context bro, context.

I don't see the point but okay.

Josh said:
This raise the problem of how do you reward any sort of devious thinking or extra effort on the player's part?

Josh said:
I did not think making a general comment on reward structure in computer games would provoke such a weirdly snarky response.
The response was not intended to be snarky, but 100% sincere. If participating in a specific type of core gameplay is not enjoyable on its own, our game is bad and I sincerely encourage people to not engage in it/not play the game. There is one main thing we want to reward with XP in our game: pursuing and completing quests. Our quests are unique, they cannot be repeated, and they typically can be completed in a number of different ways using a number of different gameplay mechanics. If you get tired of talking to people to solve quests, start provoking fights. If you get tired of fighting, start sneaking around. If none of those things are fun anymore, then the game's not fun anymore. I don't want to motivate people to grit their teeth while using gameplay mechanics they hate because there's an XP incentive for doing so.

Xenich

Cipher
He doesn't seem to be admitting PoE has issues, rather he appears to be saying that some will not care for the game for various reasons.

That isn't humility, that is more of a "Sorry you don't like the game, it isn't for everyone". Contrast this with Swen's comments about how D:OS missed its mark and they are working to make the game better.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sawyer seems pretty rustled. To turn his own reasoning back at him a little, if he's not having fun listening to criticism maybe he should stop.

Xenich

Cipher
He sounds more like a prick who gets upset at anyone questioning his design decisions. Frankly, I find such people to be worthless CO2 generators.

hiver

I don't want to motivate people to grit their teeth while using gameplay mechanics they hate because there's an XP incentive for doing so.
Strange that it turned out that encounters and countless trash mobs experienced with combat mechanics that actively paralyze everyone and punish moving and are generally not that great - is doing exactly that for the most of the game.

rado907

Savant
I liked PoE better. Didn't even finish DOS. It started out as a kind of an awesome Ultima VII remake; but then it became really boring and grindy.

panda

Savant
I liked DOS better. Didn't even finish PoE. It started out as a kind of an awesome BG remake, but then it became really boring and grindy.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finished both, DOS twice and both games are not grindy at all... there are not even respawns. Good Kickstarter games. I like DOS more because it features interesting turn based combat which I prefer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He doesn't seem to be admitting PoE has issues, rather he appears to be saying that some will not care for the game for various reasons.

Keep in mind he said these things before there was even a backer beta.

That isn't humility, that is more of a "Sorry you don't like the game, it isn't for everyone". Contrast this with Swen's comments about how D:OS missed its mark and they are working to make the game better.

He is working to make it better, much to the annoyance of people who don't like post-release balance patches.

It's also not an inaccurate statement, judging by the reception its received from pro reviewers, Steam users, SA goons, sales. He's already mentioned there are a lot of things he wants/is going to improve, but it's unlikely he'll ever make any significant effort to give it more grog-appeal. You're not wanted or needed. :P

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Personally I prefer DOS.

Both games are heavily flawed, PoE is better in quest/writing department and DOS has much better combat. Since I personally like for my combat heavy RPGs to have atleast decent combat system DOS is a easy win.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Wasteland 2 is better than both of these pieces of shit.

I don't consider D:OS or PoE as being bad games but both become boring as fuck very fast.

D:OS is the most generic crap I've played in long time. And PoE story is simply garbage (unacceptable from Obsidian) plus a fucking ton of filler combat (not to mention a myriad of questionable design choices).

And when compared to them, W2 is not really standing out on anything (mediocre at best) but is the only one that got my attention until the end. This really counts for me.

I understand that my experience is irrelevant but honestly I feel that the codex is unfair towards W2. I don't get it.

Severian Silk

Haven't played DOS yet, but Larian is kinda dorky and their attempts at humor are lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom