Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity or Eternity?

Which is better?

• Total voters

V_K

Arcane
Judging by the huge hype train in the news thread, PoE may very well steal the title of The Ultimate Harbringer of Incline from DOS. Or may it? Which is better and why?

kain611

Augur
Still too early to tell. I'm enjoying the early game of Pillars of Eternity much more than I did D:OS but I have yet to finish either. So kingcomrade it is

M0RBUS

Augur
D:OS is boring as hell. EVEN with its turn based combat.

PoE's combat is infuriating half the time, as proper infinity engine game's combat should, but it's less boring, miraculously.
Everything else is better in PoE, in my opinion.

Not the character system, though. But everything else.

Cassidy

Arcane
It is obvious Obsidian's Mountain Dew is flowing by the gallons in the Codex. Because I cannot compare D:OS with something I don't even want to touch but I am confident Age of Decadence will be better than either, kingcomrade.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
D:OS just has too boring encounters, maps, abilities and horrible writing to even compete.

The only reason the Codex faps to it is because most people here, for some stupid reason, have a Larian fetish. I blame parasitic brain worms.

Aenra

i love seeing 40% (at 8 votes..lol) of Codexers saying RTWP is better than TB

:mob:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Codex is, or used to be, pretty even. 1 third story fags, 1 third "we just like good, no matter if it's story or combat" fags and 1 third combat / oldfags.

It'd make sense for PoE to win on those grounds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As someone who's obviously going to like PoE more I think you should have waited until the honeymoon period was over before making this thread.

i love seeing 40% (at 8 votes..lol) of Codexers saying RTWP is better than TB

:mob:

The Codex as a whole ranks BG2 and Torment in particular over a bunch of turn based games.

V_K

Arcane
D:OS just has too boring encounters, maps, abilities and horrible writing to even compete.
Hmmm, from my roughly 10 hours with PoE I can't say that its abilities and encounters are any better. DOS at least had the elemental gimmick.

As someone who's obviously going to like PoE more I think you should have waited until the honeymoon period was over before making this thread.
Agreed. But I was bored and wanted to watch some fanboy fighting. Guess I overestimated Larian's devotees.

Aenra

i need to make a clarification, because fair is fair
the art is fantastic. And the care and love put into the game are oooobvious. Come-over material

and it is precisely that which pisses me off, lol..i sincerely doubt i will find the patience to see all of it. There isn't a single RTWP i have managed to stomach to the end. Not one :(:(:(

Villagkouras

Arcane
D:OS is to PoE what Jesus is to Allah in Islam.

Στάλθηκε από το OnePlus One μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I need to play more PoE before I can really vote on this, but so far I'd say that where one is good, the other is bad, and vice versa. Divinity has a turrible story and writing, looks cartoony, but has a great combat system. PoE (from what I've played of it) has solid story and writing, looks amazing, and has pretty bad combat.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't consider D:OS a proper RPG at all but more of an action/hack and slash hybrid RPG. I couldn't play D:OS for more than 20 minutes (character creation not included). The writing, short as it was, was abounding with bad humor that made me feel I'm playing a parody game, no immersion was possible as far as I'm concerned.

Murk

Arcane
I don't consider D:OS a proper RPG at all but more of an action/hack and slash hybrid RPG. I couldn't play D:OS for more than 20 minutes (character creation not included). The writing, short as it was, was abounding with bad humor that made me feel I'm playing a parody game, no immersion was possible as far as I'm concerned.

Turn based combat
Character creation/advancement is fully controlled
stat and skill based interaction with environment and other NPCs
multiple ways to get through environments, combat encounters, and quests

> not a proper rpg

:hmmm:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Wait at least two weeks to make a decision. PoE seems like it's going to be a pretty good game from what I've played so far, but the hype is going way overboard based on what I've played. What I do know is that I played D:OS co-op with Ormagöden and I think we got about 10 hours into the game or so and the charm definitely wears off (even if the charm it had is like 100x anything we've seen in quite some time).

Darkzone

Arcane
D:OS has an amazing fun combat, but the combat of PoE is nice and fluid, with the exception if the second ranks are running back and forth.

Last edited:

set

Cipher
Eternity pisses me off - you should be able to flee from combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom