Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity 2 is a piece of shit

DraQ

Arcane
Konjad said:
Writing in this game is at the level of Oblivion. World is retarded, sotry is retarded, graphic is overbloomified.

Shit.
Way to miss the point, BRO.

Also "World is retarded, sotry is retarded" - like in Wizardry? :smug:

adure

Liturgist
done the consoleturd tutorial.
played for 5 hours in the "open world".
deleted it...
installed part 1.
had a good time!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DraQ said:
It takes more than shadurz and bloom to make a good game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Div2 despite it's rather glaring shortcomings, like dragon flight and combat being not nearly cool enough*, or most of the skills being 'meh' if useful (an exception would be the ridiculously over the top ability that let you close the distance with ludicrous speed, which felt very cool).
This game just oozed personality and atmosphere and I will be happy to buy the expansion to let it unfold further.

I've never played Div2 (I tried but it always crashed on start-up, oh well..), but this statement very much reminds me of Dungeon Lords.
That one also had very obvious shortcomings, but also managed to completely capture me for days with its personality and atmosphere(tm) (as long as you were not inside towns, heh).

Edit:
I just gave the 666. internet. :rpgcodex:

Ping Pong

Barely Literate
2. The game has no level scaling. Yay? Nay! It has damage scaling instead. That is, the amount of damage you can do and receive is scaled to your level. You'll be barely able to scratch enemies 5 levels above you whereas you can strip naked in front of the enemies 5 levels below you and they'll still be doing 0 damage.

Can you explain this damage scaling more? Does it means the amount of damage you can do and receive both increase as you level up ? Or it means your damage increase but received damage decrease with your level? ( Sorry for the bad English! )

Cadmus

Arcane
It means that the enemies many levels below you will always deal crap damage no matter your and their stats and you'll always deal kinda shitty damage to enemies way above your lvl, if I remember correctly.

Your damage doesn't increase numerically in your stats, it's more like you unlock the ability to actually deal that damage to higher lvl enemies as you lvl up and vice versa for lower than your lvl enemies - their damage gets restricted as you outlvl them. Anyone played Div2 recently? Is this correct?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, that's how it works if I remember correctly. It's a standard MMO thing, which is why it's a bit irritating to find it in a single player RPG. Then again Divinity 2 kinda plays like an MMO mostly so well.

Turjan

Arcane
Yes, that's how it works if I remember correctly. It's a standard MMO thing, which is why it's a bit irritating to find it in a single player RPG.
It's also a standard pen&paper RPG thing, like in D&D 3.x, at least until mid levels.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes, that's how it works if I remember correctly. It's a standard MMO thing, which is why it's a bit irritating to find it in a single player RPG.
It's also a standard pen&paper RPG thing, like in D&D 3.x, at least until mid levels.

Hmm, you mean through damage resistance of higher level enemies? Or the character's damage increase by gaining multiple attacks / highlvl spells?

Turjan

Arcane
Hmm, you mean through damage resistance of higher level enemies? Or the character's damage increase by gaining multiple attacks / highlvl spells?
I mean at lower levels, where AC still matters, it's easy to raise AC of a higher level char above the point where the lower level char can only hit on a crit. This won't matter at high levels, as AC doesn't keep up with damage, but it's noticeable till mid level.

Edit: To be clear, I just rolled attack and damage into one for the sake of the answer, even if damage ramps up faster for fighter types.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Damage scaling is shit, but nowhere near level scaling and they work in opposing directions.

Both are artificial and therefore bad, but while level scaling undermines progression and usually destroys internal logic of the gameworld, damage scaling exaggerates the power curve to the point where you often can't compensate for the differences using cheese or creativity, the latter meaning it makes the game overall much more controlled and plain experience.

Turjan

Arcane
...damage scaling exaggerates the power curve to the point where you often can't compensate for the differences using cheese or creativity, the latter meaning it makes the game overall much more controlled and plain experience.
Full agreement here. Damage scaling is often enough at the base of level-scaling as a cheap way to deal with its consequences.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Did everyone fall for the necro?

Also, didn't they take out the damage scaling all the way back with the FOV/DKS patch?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Indeed!
I had the last post and was very proud of it. I remember it like it was yesterday...
The funny thing is that I still remember more of Dungeon Lords than I remember Divinity 2. Hm.

But hey, I managed to play Divinity 2 in the last 4 years and I did not notice any annoying scaling.
I played with DKS, though, so maybe it was not there. Or it was just not annoying.

Cadmus

Arcane
Indeed!
I had the last post and was very proud of it. I remember it like it was yesterday...
The funny thing is that I still remember more of Dungeon Lords than I remember Divinity 2. Hm.

But hey, I managed to play Divinity 2 in the last 4 years and I did not notice any annoying scaling.
I played with DKS, though, so maybe it was not there. Or it was just not annoying.
It's not exactly annoying. Div2 has this weird thing with the XP anyway.

And I totally swear I didn't fall for the necro, I read all the posts in the thread first and noted the date but then decided to respond because I was happy I knew the answer.

DraQ

Arcane
I didn't fall for the necro. I replied to a newfag asking about damage scaling.

And yeah, FOV/DKS apparently either removed or reduced damage scaling.

Turjan
True, though damage scaling in itself isn't nearly as crippling as level scaling as it doesn't explicitly and transparently fuck the gameworld logic and may even support it in certain over the top settings (powah levels!!!1).

Last edited:

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
3. This also means that the game has the worst form of grinding. You have to find every nook and cranny, kill all mobs and do all possible quests to be able to survive the next area. Don't like the flying fortresses? Too bad, no Hall of Echoes for you.
Actually, I thought that was one of the better aspects of the King's Bounty series on Impossible difficulty. Battles and quests were all the more rewarding for it. It made you plan your next move and sometimes re-evaluate your current setup. Problem-solving at its finest.

In the end game design is a balancing act, some features are mutually exclusive with one-another and amidst all that, there is the story/atmosphere the devs are trying to convey. You can't have pure non-linearity without some form of bottlenecking at certain parts of the game (otherwise you get a hike sim). On the other end of that spectrum is the popamole, where the game plays itself for you. You can say "I don't want either", but that doesn't really define what you actually want. D:OS manages to get a lot of things right considering what it sets out to do.

Unuson

Barely Literate
I got this game on sale, and I'm glad it was cheap. There was no enjoyment to be had after trying to get past the Broken Valley. It reminded me of a cheap mmo. I liked many things about it, but I suffered too much and gained very little by playing this game. Of all the RPGs I have ever played, none have ever pissed me off like this game. Everyone gives this game positive reviews, which is ironic given its poor sales figures on release. Time has allowed this game to run much better than previously reported in the past, from most likely bug fixes and better systems. I thought that there were several interesting quests and locations, but it involved carrying around a ball-and-chain that was the leveling and combat system of this game. Not only was it completely uninspired, but it included a superficial damage system based on sheer chance of gaining a good weapon. I was lucky to get a rare weapon leading up to Broken Valley, and the tomb boss was fairly easy. Immediately afterwards, the Broken Valley was an annoying and difficult area. I took around 20 damage or so at a fairly high rate. You can dodge it, being almost excruciatingly careful, but there is nothing fun at all in the combat system, and it becomes drastically apparent when you get one shot or hit off and instantly dodge right after in a nauseatingly repeated fashion. I'm genuinely sorry that you liked this game, because you missed out on how easily broken it is by not following a character build guide. Granted, some games tend towards that, like Path of Exile, but I can guarantee that an isometric game can provide many times more excitement and enjoyability than this failed attempt at three dimensional combat. This game offers no remorse in any individual wanting to play this game for fun, for something worth enjoying and not for fist-pounding a keyboard. For the same price, I got a game called E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy at around the same time. Ironically, death is easy in that game, yet it is enjoyable to actually reload and try again. Of course, they are different genres, yet it is a key element that makes a game at least re-playable for a single level. Hell, I love the Original Sin game that Larian made, but I am soo glad how much better they are nowadays. Honestly, I agree with the original poster, most of it has been true for four years. I play plenty of rpgs, many old, many new, and I know when a game is made to be enjoyable or a hassle. This is not necessarily a difficult game, but one with a huge flaw in its game-play design.

Frozen

Arcane
I really liked it for what it was. It may look like MMO but it doesn't play like it-there are no MMO fetch quests, not that I remembered anyway so they are no 99% of side quests.
This is what Diablo should look like-action h&s but still RPG not an arcade game. You have individual quests not copy paste boring filer.
And NO respawn thanks god.
Its not perfect but its Kingdoms of Amalur/ DAI done right.

Perkel

Arcane
it's called bloat.

Cause of bloat of damage, health and other shit they need to do stupid shit like in DOS. Funneling someone into linear path according to level isn't problem with lack of scaling but design of the world. For example in Gothic world was not scaled. It just naturally had places were you would be outright murdered until you would have some proper armor weapon and skills but world was created in such a way that reaching major hubs were not a problem after short while. XP scaling imo has some sort of logic behind it as killing same mob over and over should give you anything (what is left to learn ?) though i wouldn't implement it like this.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's this about needing good weapons anyway? I beat the game on a bare-handed build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom