Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity 2 ending

Vagiel

Augur
So i just finished divinity 2, all in all a good game, the first part was certainly better but it managed to remain fun to the end.

Anyway the reason of the post is the ending were you actually lose, you were tricked you were a fool and you lose. I was saddened thinking i must have messed up somewhere. After a little research i find out that there is only one ending and you lose by default. My respect to Larian they have climbed a long way to my appreciation list with this. It takes courage to insult the average princess boy gamer who wants to WIN at every opportunity.

So without further ado listen to that boys endless whinnying over his inability to gain closure....

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139829

Highlights

Your entire adventure adventure was just... a waste of time. And you lost. Hardcore. Just... lost. Nothing you did helped you out in the end. I don't mind dying at the end of a game, or even getting screwed over. But you never never make an entire adventure pointless.

And that's what this game did.

And it made me RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

I wish I had a picture of a loli screaming RAEG just to show how much it made me rage!

Murk

Arcane
I agreed, likewise, and the setup into the add-on (direct continuation) worked rather nicely.

If you haven't, definitely get the expansion - very much improved albeit concentrated game play.

Aothan

Magister
an ending is not to be strictly thought of as closure so much as change. Whether through resolution of challenges or a new arrangement of setting, if only that of forces and/or circumstances. To blatantly redefine the situation, with no precedent basis or without novel insight into the previous 'reality' (etc) is not going to be compelling, one way or the other. It is too obviously an expedience with little care to presentation.

I'm not too sure if the 'god-king' ending that is so often expected is naturally justified or not within a fantasy context. That's a more difficult issue than my immediate inclinations could properly address.

having briefly read the linked thread, I don't think anyone talked about gameplay for the sake of continuation. Everyone wants or hopes for resolution, no one (from what I read) mentions if they enjoyed the game or if they would like to continue playing..

Zlaja

Arcane
Mikayel said:
If you haven't, definitely get the expansion - very much improved albeit concentrated game play.

I didn't enjoy the expansion much myself 'cause of the skill-point rain. The challenge was non-existent...untill the horseshit ending.

I did enjoy the original game though.

made

Arcane
While I was certainly surprised by the unusual ending, it still left me quite cold. Normally I'd root for the underdog evil wizard, but Damian's (sounds more like a gay vampire tbh) characterization was so bland and boring throughout the game, I just didn't give a damn about him and his plans. Maybe it works better and makes more sense if you played DivDiv, I dunno. Plus the expansion was already out when I finished ED, so the cliffhanger was obvious.

Angthoron

Arcane
By the by, could someone enlighten me - is Damian out of Beyond Divinity or how does he fit into all this? I've heard horrid things about BD so I never played it, thus I might be missing out on a bit of lore.

As for the ending - well, you could really see it coming right at the point where the wizard goes "So, we resurrect the woman and win!" because sure, nothing can go wrong with a plan like that, especially when you have a bald smug T-1000 look-alike having plotted her resurrection for years.

And yeah, the antagonist was a bit underdeveloped. His motivations on repeatedly not killing the player were not quite clear - unless of course it was his plan to goad someone into resurrecting the girlfriend through taunting, but in that case, he's either an awesome psychologist and strategist, or counts too much on pure luck.

Still, despite its shortcomings, the game turned out very enjoyable. Considering that it wasn't backed by a strong publisher with a big budget, or showered in hype to sell, it did pretty well. Maybe the next chapter will get a proper budget even.

Murk

Arcane
Damian:

At the end of Divinity 1 you defeat the Demon of Lies and what is left is its soul encapsulated into a human baby, the Divine one (Lucian in Div 2) decides to take pity in the true "paladin always does good" way and decides that he will triumph over evil not by slaying it but by converting it to good. That Baby is Damian.

The true evil in Divinity 2, however, is not Damian but rather Ygerna. That twist near the end, one that I realized as soon as I heard her voice in the Hall of Echoes, made me smile a strange satisfied smirk.

You never truly face off against Damian... he's more of a conceptual evil, your enemy remains the same as before -- the black ring itself, with Damian just being the figurehead. I kind of liked that, but disliked how often he showed up in person and just never bothered to stomp you out. If they had pulled the "just a thought projection" route, I would have been much more content with it but as it is, the game was either poking fun at every James Bond style "super villain" (legitimate possibility with Larian) or was just a silly plothole.

EDIT: Damian never planned to use the protagonist -- that was purely Ygerna.

Expansion's Terminator entrance was a nice touch tho, hehe.

Angthoron

Arcane
Ah, thanks - I also looked up the BD plot synopsis and apparently

the protagonist paladin is soulforged with a death knight who is indeed Damian, so in a way he's the Beyond Divinity protagonist

And yes - the Black Ring as the enemy is quite good - better if it was just Damian. It does make it feel more dangerous, like the Black Ring resurfacing itself again, and again, it sort of makes it clear that you don't get rid of it just by killing off its figurehead(s). I liked that as well.

Murk

Arcane
Hah, I'm at chapter 3 of Beyond Divinity but stopped playing for a while -- didn't know that about the Death Knight.

Angthoron

Arcane
So how is BD compared to DD? Is it as bland as I heard it was, or is it actually okay?

Murk

Arcane
A lot more linear, sillier, and at times clunkier, but still pretty similar.

the skill system sucks but stats are slightly more fine-tuned, though you end up abusing luck all the same. For example my main hero has over 100 luck right now and any 'semi tough' enemies I kill end up dropping incredible loot with something like 10+ bonuses, money's flowing like crazy too. I liked the old unique skill system that div1 had, BD kind of breaks it down to the point of "what kind of damage do you want to do?". Magic is damn near unusable considering its absolutely ridiculous mana costs. Many skills/abilities themselves are also useless past a single point. For instance in 2-handed weapon proficiency the first point you put in accuracy gives you +80%, damage gives you something like +8-12 damage where-as subsequent points give about a tenth of that, so you end up with a single point in quite a few skills. Good thing is you can 'delete' skills whenever for a gold-cost and just redistribute your skill points -- pretty useful when all of a sudden you desperately need lockpicking or alchemy or whatever.

You also can't put points into a skill until you learn it from books or NPCs, many such trainers will say teach you "level 8 1-handed weapon proficiency" which allows you to put 8 points in any 1-handed weapon proficiency which goes something like: 1 handed -> damage type -> accuracy, damage, crit, death blow, etc. So you relegate all bonuses to damage type given (there are elemental weapons a plenty).

Then there are some skills like 'sharpen' which add an incredible damage bonus with an added Agility requirement to the weapon -- you can easily triple the damage done with only a half-dozen points in this skill.

Roughly put, loot/equipment is pretty fluid in the game and you never really get a "favored" weapon, which is itself cool cuz you just end up using whatever you want -- or on the flip side -- you end up re-analyzing your equipment every 10 minutes when some new Great Shadow Axe of the Dire Hound is found, or whatever.

The battlefields are basically Diablo-spoofs, its item naming schematic is also equally absurd, but the main game itself is relatively entertaining. I would say that if you were okay with the Aleroth Catacombs in Div1 then you'll be fine with BD -- as it is pretty much that just expanded on. Really long dungeons that have traders/interactable NPCs in them with lots of silly humor. The first actual 'village' you come across is the imp village in chapter 2, chapter 1 takes place entirely in the citadel but it too has shops and people you can talk to and trade with.

The quests, when you finally come to them, are just as varied and multi-pathed as in Divinity 1 -- sneaking around, gathering evidence, using your brain before you proceed, all that good stuff.

It also has surprisingly more gore spread around as part of the scenery than Div1 did.

Voice acting is wayyyyyyyyy sillier.

I don't mind endings where you lose as long as you can take something from the story/ending but the trapped in the hall of echoes thing didn't feel like an ending, just like the game's story arch got abruptly cut. I only played the DKS version so maybe ego draconis presented it differently.

The thing that set div 2 apart for me was the humor, hadn't seen that in a game since old adventure games, any other rpgs that compare in the funny department?

Achilles

Arcane
I greatly enjoyed Div 2 DKS but I've never played the first one. Should I? Codex, I request your advice.

DraQ

Arcane
Mikayel said:
the game was either poking fun at every James Bond style "super villain" (legitimate possibility with Larian)
Merely a possibility? This game pokes fun at almost everything it touches, why should it suddenly get straight-faced with that?
This game mixes over-the-top fantasy, with over-the-top drama, with over-the-top cliches and hearty amount of lulz, stopping a hair-breadth short of degenerating into comedy as a whole, so it somehow retains the atmosphere.
It belongs to the same intentionally-campy-yet-awesome category as Wiz8 and Anachronox in this regard.

Murk

Arcane
I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not, DraQ, but judging from the content of your post it seems we're both on the same page.

Alexandros -- yes, yes you should. Do not be put off by its first dungeon nor by the seemingly "diablo" like gameplay -- it is very much a proper RPG and has a wayyyy bigger world than Div 2, and wayyyyy better music. One of my biggest complaints about Div 2 was how it was much smaller and the music was much worse :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom