Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity is the best shit game I have ever played

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Almost finished, will try the Two World 2 (tried to finish first part but got bored halfway) Game is good better than Inquisitor partly cause of lower resolution, better pause and and quicker combat (enemies are not HP spoonges), partly cause they pussied out in Inquisitor and you can't burn inocent people and join the cult, while many quests in DD offer some sinister path (I love replay games as evil Womyn Rogues :lol:) . Graphic looks somehow better than in Arcanum which huge map fealt empty.

P.S. Both My GoG and Piratebay versions have nasty bug after you gather the council of races... At first I didn't died... OK removed armor and jewelery, died but ended up in black void north of the map. Not much lost except grindfest epilogue anyway... and Avoid Beyound Divinity DLC/Expansion. Game with all its grind and bugs is worth playing.

CorpseZeb

Learned
If you played TW1, you will be disappointed. I came from TW2 to TW1 only to discover that first game is simply superior to the second one (is somewhat similar situation to the Morrowind-Oblivion infamous decline combo).

Snufkin

Augur
This game have a good feel when you first try it, but once you progress its just endless grind. Never finished it. That scorpion trap skill was hilarious, you use it, go afk and wait when summons kill whole map. GG O_O

catfood

AGAIN
This game have a good feel when you first try it, but once you progress its just endless grind. Never finished it. That scorpion trap skill was hilarious, you use it, go afk and wait when summons kill whole map. GG O_O
Actually they nerfed the scorpion trap to the point that it's almost useless now. :P

Iselor

Educated
Divine Divinity is very good game. Great "atmosphere" (Diablo + Ultima), good story, good system of creation and promotion hero, very good music, bit of humor....Only low level of difficulty. One of my favorite cRPG ever.

McLovin

Novice
Actually they nerfed the scorpion trap to the point that it's almost useless now. :P
What patch was that in? I just played it through and I finished Iona's dungeon by spamming scorpion trap at 7 levels below recommended, and I'm pretty sure I had the newest patch?

From my personal experience of two playthroughs I have to say I think it's a good game with obvious flaws. It is one of the more prominent games of the era for me.
The skill system is mostly shitty and not too encouraging for trying things out, and if you don't know exactly what to use you will pick a lot of useless skills and waste points, though you never really finish up with a lack of them. It has pretty nice sprites and the graphics imo have aged really well, but it does have a downfall of genericness when it comes to the areas around it. The combat is spamfest unless you try to play an archer, because then it's just an ass pain. The world has lots of detail and attention to it, and there are bunch of hidden things for it, which I fucking love in RPG's.The story is above average, and even though it was kinda generic I found it enjoyable, I never felt like I was a generic hero since there were others. There are plenty of quests and things to do in the game, and you can see a lot of attention and love went into writing them.

It contains some voice-acting which turned out pretty well, so it isn't cringy to listen to.

Though, this comes from a person who BOUGHT Two Worlds 1, but I do admit it was shit. It was my shit though, so I played it through three times. Kill me.

catfood

AGAIN
What patch was that in? I just played it through and I finished Iona's dungeon by spamming scorpion trap at 7 levels below recommended, and I'm pretty sure I had the newest patch?

I played it with the GOG version which was v 1.5 or something. Dunno I personally found it useless. The scorpions died quickly and did not inflict much damage as far as I could tell.

Murk

Arcane
Archery is actually very OP early on because bow damage scales different than melee weapons. You can find bows that do upwards of 90 damage in the first dungeon, and often I would use them to kite/kill the more powerful Guardian skeleton mini-bosses.

Once you get poison weapon, bow = insta-win as you only need shoot 1 poison arrow and let the poison do the trick. I remember running in circles around the heart of the orc camp and just poison-popping them to quickly clean them out, as otherwise it was possible to get overwhelmed (at my level). After doing so I did go up something like 10 levels tho, heh.

I think one of my favorite parts is when you're forced to cut your way out of the reinforcements' palisade in the Rivertown warcamp. Damn shame you don't get branded a traitor or something but eh, it was pretty neat. You go in thinking "SWEET, FREE GEAR" and suddenly it just shits all over you.

Last edited:

McLovin

Novice
Archery is actually very OP early on because bow damage scales different than melee weapons. You can find bows that do upwards of 90 damage in the first dungeon, and often I would use them to kite/kill the more powerful Guardian skeleton mini-bosses.

Once you get poison weapon, bow = insta-win as you only need shoot 1 poison arrow and let the poison do the truck. I remember running in circles around the heart of the orc camp and just poison-popping them to quickly clean them out, as otherwise it was possible to get overwhelmed (at my level). After doing so I did go up something like 10 levels tho, heh.

I think one of my favorite parts is when you're forced to cut your way out of the reinforcements' palisade in the Rivertown warcamp. Damn shame you don't get branded a traitor or something but eh, it was pretty neat. You go in thinking "SWEET, FREE GEAR" and suddenly it just shits all over you.

That's why I feel it's an asspain I guess, the amounts of backtracking you have to do after spamming everyone with poison. Ugh, It felt sometimes slightly pointless. They might as well let my bow be the divine one, he's the one who did all the work for me.
It was pretty amazing feeling going through the map to the forest and just leveling up with the death of 4 trolls, because your bow was so powerful you could just attack and run and they'd fall after some time. Even though the game made you feel like it was a spamfest you did feel you needed some skill during those times.

You basically will be branded as a traitor later, so doing it twice would be pretty pointless (or was it before?) by lord manchild.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROSW DD WAS KINDA BROKEN AND UNBALANCED IN SOME WAYS BUT YEAH IT WAS A VERY ULTIMA LIKE EXPERIENCE IN TERMS EXPLORATION WORLD INTERACTIVITY ETC

TWO WORLDS ONE WAS A BEARABLE HACK AND SLASH WTH LOW PRODUCTION VALUES THOUGH EXPLORATION AND CHALLENGTE PROGRESSION WERE NICELY DONE

kazgar

Arcane
About to start playing this, i've skim-browsed this thread but tried to ignore spoilers, any general tips to make it emotionally engaging more fun?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About to start playing this, i've skim-browsed this thread but tried to ignore spoilers, any general tips to make it emotionally engaging more fun?

You can savescum to get spellbooks from bookcases. Just save before you hover over them with the mouse.

haraw

Educated
Played this few years ago till the council thingie in the end. After that it was shitty brainless hacking through endless dungeons. Exploring the world before the endgame really felt great tho.

One thing. You guys playing this should avoid frost weapons altogether if it's still "bugged" (it can't be working as intended, right?). That one enchantment makes combat in the whole game irrelevant. Or maybe that's just what some of you want judging from your posts.

Murk

Arcane

Bear through the first big dungeon -- learn to use the pyramid teleporters as they are an amazing stress and tedium reducer. It's a good idea to leave one next to a bed and a barrel or chest so you can store your spare items in it and rest up before returning to whatever dungeon.

White potions heal %, red and blue heal absolute value. Meteor Strike level 1 can reduce the difficulty of a lot of battles that are initially too difficult (melee wise) as you can spam it dozens of times even with a warrior's mp.

@haraw frost weapons are indeed still broken as fuck.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I agree with the title of this thread.

Get Burning Wall up to level 5, use on mobs. Actually, use on everything.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I played this game thru once, it has it's moments. Over the years I have tried three times to replay it, I got bored within an hour each time.

So I guess this game is dead to me.

:Flash:

Arcane

Bear through the first big dungeon -- learn to use the pyramid teleporters as they are an amazing stress and tedium reducer. It's a good idea to leave one next to a bed and a barrel or chest so you can store your spare items in it and rest up before returning to whatever dungeon.

There is no need for a pyramid near a bed if you put THE bed in your inventory.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

There is no need for a pyramid near a bed if you put THE bed in your inventory.
Still need a place for loot-hoarding.

Murk

Arcane
^ I meant the advice for the beginning area specifically but yes, later, you can just snag _the_ bed and keep a place for storage. I liked using the abandoned house to the south east of the market area as there is both a teleporter there and plenty of shops to unload loot and check for magic books and what not.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Nice game. Missed a lot of fun 10 years ago as it appears.
Wondering about few things. Is there any point to snarky/asshole dialog options other than get 'bioware evil' type consequences? As in, no exp. NPC hates you. Bad rep. That is all. Enjoy role-playing eevul d00d trololo.
Armor's 'armor' vs '+x defense' charm - which is better and why. Up till now i was using the very first armor i obtained, the chain-mail with +2 constitution and +2 defense modifier and armor class of 90. Is an armor of 140 armor class, but no bonuses better or worse than that?
I'm using warrior and not really sure if there is any point into specializing in more than one type of weapon, which would be sword anyway?
(i did put one point into mace as i found one p. good whacker in the first dungeon, because it was a better help against undead bosses than the ''new short sword'' even with two points in at the time)

Btw, BED doesn't seem to have a ''weight'' and thus doesn't go into my inventory. I tried to backpack the one in the starting basement, but it seems my rucksack is a tad too small for it. :M

Arcane
There is only a single bed in the entire game that can be inventorized. Can't remember which, though.
It was a bug and they intentionally never fixed it, because it became a hit on the forums.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Heh, ok. One more. What the hell is arrow for? There are few in the game and when it's equipped the protagonist keeps making weird spinning moves one in both ways like a fucking metronome. Another bug?

Arcane
AFAIR arrows are needed when you equip a bow (but I'm not even sure about that, it's been a long time).
I have never heard of equipping arrows.

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
Played the DKS version on console. Liked it a lot. The characters were funny and i enjoyed exploring the world. Pre-ordered Divinity Original Sin but I'm not going to play it until it's ready for release

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom