Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dishonored by Arkane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This. Otherwise, they should just forget about stealth, and make the new game about flipping out like a ninja and superpowers and shit. Fuck stealth, go full on X-Men fan fiction.

Stealth is a power fantasy too, on par with "flipping out like a ninja and superpowers and shit" and "full on X-Men fan fiction". I guess you haven't you noticed that pretty much every third person popamole game coming out today has "stealth takedown" gameplay.

You're going into this with an old-fashioned Thief mentality, "stealth means this is supposed to be a SMART game, right?". Well, no it doesn't. (Even though it's still smarter than most.)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fun facts:
1)Arkane never promised making a Thief sequel, this was obvious since the beginning that stealth was optional.
2)Dishonored is an AAA game, expecting codexian approved challenge from an AAA game is a hopeless expectation not even worthy being butthurt about.
3)Since Dishonored was made with the "no children left behind" design philosophy so common these days it requires at least some moderation on the powers to be fun.
4)If anyone think Dishonored is a shitty game, please go play Thi4f and get enlightened.
5)At least we got a stealth game that the developer didn't get everything wrong like *cough* Thi4f *cough*.

Stealth is a power fantasy too, on par with "flipping out like a ninja and superpowers and shit" and "full on X-Men fan fiction". I guess you haven't you noticed that pretty much every third person popamole game coming out today has "stealth takedown" gameplay.

You're going into this with an old-fashioned Thief mentality, "stealth means this is supposed to be a SMART game, right?". Well, no it doesn't. (Even though it's still smarter than most.)

I think this explains a great deal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMb9IHao_Sw

Takedowns should be done from behind in a full stealth game. Otherwise, it should be impossible to take down anyone. Letting us go full frontal assault did not feel very stealthy, nor were the enemies tough enough to force me to play in a stealthy manner. I felt overpowered, so screw stealth, this game is more fun when I go around killing everything. Arkane, this is the first time you've let me down. :'( I hope for a worthy successor to Thief, someday.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I think this explains a great deal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMb9IHao_Sw

Takedowns should be done from behind in a full stealth game. Otherwise, it should be impossible to take down anyone. Letting us go full frontal assault did not feel very stealthy, nor were the enemies tough enough to force me to play in a stealthy manner. I felt overpowered, so screw stealth, this game is more fun when I go around killing everything. Arkane, this is the first time you've let me down. :'( I hope for a worthy successor to Thief, someday.

1. They never pretend to be a Thief successor, they mentioned Looking Glass but Deus ex was the most referenced. That is your fault not theirs.

2. They made a grand total of 3 games in a decade, how can you be let down by them?

3. Dishonored worse than DM? Please stop before you cut yourself on all that edginess.

Dishoroned is a good game. Not great, not amazing and certainly not as creative as its influences but it was a decent experience overall.

Tigranes

Arcane
Fun facts:
1)Arkane never promised making a Thief sequel, this was obvious since the beginning that stealth was optional.
2)Dishonored is an AAA game, expecting codexian approved challenge from an AAA game is a hopeless expectation not even worthy being butthurt about.
3)Since Dishonored was made with the "no children left behind" design philosophy so common these days it requires at least some moderation on the powers to be fun.
4)If anyone think Dishonored is a shitty game, please go play Thi4f and get enlightened.
5)At least we got a stealth game that the developer didn't get everything wrong like *cough* Thi4f *cough*.

So what exactly IS good about Dishonoured?

I don't know a great deal about it, because I tried it, realised you can stand on some railings and shoot people in the face and they will congregate to watch their colleague burning to death and go "I say, chap, he looks a little bothered" while you jump up and down on the railing directly above them singing La Marseillaise. At that point I assumed it was either a terrible stealth game or just a straight-up FPS with tricks, neither of which seemed particularly appealing.

MapMan

Arcane

The levels (including graphical design) and the powers if you do a lethal non stealth playthrough. The game is a complete flop if you try to stealth it, even much worse than DXHR. They failed to find the middle ground between both enjoyable stealth and full blown lethal. Stealth is just too easy, simplistic and boring, because you do the same thing over and over and over again.

Also:

DeepOcean

Arcane

I don't know a great deal about it, because I tried it, realised you can stand on some railings and shoot people in the face and they will congregate to watch their colleague burning to death and go "I say, chap, he looks a little bothered" while you jump up and down on the railing directly above them singing La Marseillaise. At that point I assumed it was either a terrible stealth game or just a straight-up FPS with tricks, neither of which seemed particularly appealing.
The level design, while not as great as Thief it makes the other modern stealth popamole games look like shit, it is as close as an AAA popamole game will get to the old Looking Glass games level design. It just shares the same flaw that every modern stealth game has, intentionaly shitty AI, just look to the Metal Gear Solid V thread with pople complaining about the Ai. This major flaw happens because Arkane didn't want to frustrate shitty players with guards bellow detecing them and shooting the crap of them as they should and because they didn't implement a shadow based stealth because Bethesda retards would think it was too much immursion breaking, it is the same thing with the AI on Metal Gear solid that just "forgets" you very fast if you run a little. When games are made for Down Syndrome kids, you can't do anything, you just accept and ignore the retardation or you give up on the game and I think Dishonored has more good than bad because mostly of the level design.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Fun facts:

So your argument is that because Thi4f is a bad game, it makes Dishonored good?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Even in Daud DLC you were forced to play as a pussy to get the "good" canon ending regardless of Corvo's actions in main game.

Even though Daud had like a million cool finishers.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Fun facts:
Wrong.
First screenshots only suggested what kind of shit would happen if you were discovered. Most of the first screenshots were focused on stealth.
Also, superpowers were announced a lot later.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Even in Daud DLC you were forced to play as a pussy to get the "good" canon ending regardless of Corvo's actions in main game.

This is what broke the game for me - they narratively encouraged low chaos gameplay (ghosting) while in fact the game mechanics are strongly supporting high chaos gameplay (kill everything).

I suppose they wanted the game to be played multiple times over but this is the wrong way to do it - the game should not reward any gameplay styles and only stick to objectives rewards.

Alfons

Prophet
Stumbled across this guy's videos:

Some of the shit he does is so slick I'm not even sure if it's real.

Ghost killer was definitely the most fun way for me in Dishonored. In expansion they added more tools to be non lethal so that might've been fun too but at that point I just continued with silent kills. Perhaps time to replay the expansions.

DraQ

Arcane
Also, shit popamole setting.
Canny_Edge_Detection.png

baturinsky

Arcane

This is what broke the game for me - they narratively encouraged low chaos gameplay (ghosting) while in fact the game mechanics are strongly supporting high chaos gameplay (kill everything).

I suppose they wanted the game to be played multiple times over but this is the wrong way to do it - the game should not reward any gameplay styles and only stick to objectives rewards.

I actually like that game gives a weight to choice of not killing.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Arkane Studios' Sebastian Mitton discusses the pre-production process for designing the city of Dunwall in Dishonored in this 2013 talk. Showcasing everything from pre-production sketches, to on-location research, Mitton breaks down how the Arkane Studios team created a visually compelling original setting for their original IP.

Mozg

Arcane
Someone that liked Dishonored 1: when does the game hit its stride, the early stuff is so boring and corny

Mozg

Arcane
Got off the boat to the hideout place, like 20 minutes in

I feel justified in judging corniness at this point because the plotting is so bad and puerile, gameplay obviously is pretty early but leaning around corners to wait for patrolling video game men to turn around isn't wowing me

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got off the boat to the hideout place, like 20 minutes in

Up till now was the prologue. The first mission for the Loyalists will be your first look at the lauded Dishonored level design.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom