Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it possible to lean while zoomed in? I can lean first, then zoom in, but I cannot do it the other way around. Glitch maybe?
I can't either. Looks like crappy console design strikes again. Why would you want to be able to do two things at once?

Israfael

Arcane
Finished the game in 17 hrs, no kills (well, somehow I killed 2 or 3 people in total despite not really doing it - I guess it was random guards walking into rewired Wall of lights (i did not know that they attack everything before mission 7) or maybe dogs (not sure about it, it seems dogs are not counted as 'kills' and i wasted probably the most of my sleep darts on those beasts). Gameplaywise it's definite improvement over the first part, but it's story and the atmosphere is actually worse. Not sure why, probably it was just a novelty and a treat to play a 3d-game in a Victorian/19th century setting in D1, but this time it was either less coherent (thanks to the start of the game, it's super atrocious) or just less depressive. Sunken district, brothel, boyles' mansion were coherent, interesting places to visit, while there's sort of more 'genericity' in the locations in D2 (except last mission, that was actually sort of weird and even a bit scary). If only they did a construction set or an SDK for 3rd party missions, hopefully there'd be some DLCs like Bridgemore/Knife, but if DXMD serves an example, it's highly unlikely.

Some recollections:
- Dust district (it's actually a great example of how the missions should be done - a lot of ways to do it, including your own brains, lots of branching inside the chosen path(s). It really payed off to wait and listen to get a better path to the objective and decide what to do.
- Castle. A big level, unorthodox enemies, again, several ways to do it, a somewhat unexpected way of dealing with the boss (I'd admit that I spent around 20 mins trying to kill the images but then i started fooling around and noticed what I really had to do and felt smug about it).
- Conservatory/Cyria gardens. Not sure why people thought it was generic, there was a lot of ways to get to the conservatory and several ways to 'solve' the problem (including ignoring the chief witch, I suppose, as I noticed that you can get to the storage without her key)

Well, and Jindoshes lair and Aramis mansion were also really good, although it's hard to explore the latter because of annoying nest keepers and dogs (I'm still not sure if killing them counts as a kill, so I had to either avoid them or waste darts)

PS. Actually, the mansion is probably the biggest shout out to Bioshock Infinite and an example how it should have been done. I wonder how many retards could not finish it

Last edited:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished the game in 17 hrs, no kills (well, somehow I killed 2 or 3 people in total despite not really doing it - I guess it was random guards walking into rewired Wall of lights (i did not know that they attack everything before mission 7) or maybe dogs (not sure about it, it seems dogs are not counted as 'kills' and i wasted probably the most of my sleep darts on those beasts). Gameplaywise it's definite improvement over the first part, but it's story and the atmosphere is actually worse. Not sure why, probably it was just a novelty and a treat to play a 3d-game in a Victorian/19th century setting in D1, but this time it was either less coherent (thanks to the start of the game, it's super atrocious) or just less depressive. Sunken district, brothel, boyles' mansion were coherent, interesting places to visit, while there's sort of more 'genericity' in the locations in D2 (except last mission, that was actually sort of weird and even a bit scary). If only they did a construction set or an SDK for 3rd party missions, hopefully there'd be some DLCs like Bridgemore/Knife, but if DXMD serves an example, it's highly unlikely.

Some recollections:
- Dust district (it's actually a great example of how the missions should be done - a lot of ways to do it, including your own brains, lots of branching inside the chosen path(s). It really payed off to wait and listen to get a better path to the objective and decide what to do.
- Castle. A big level, unorthodox enemies, again, several ways to do it, a somewhat unexpected way of dealing with the boss (I'd admit that I spent around 20 mins trying to kill the images but then i started fooling around and noticed what I really had to do and felt smug about it).
- Conservatory/Cyria gardens. Not sure why people thought it was generic, there was a lot of ways to get to the conservatory and several ways to 'solve' the problem (including ignoring the chief witch, I suppose, as I noticed that you can get to the storage without her key)

Well, and Jindoshes lair and Aramis mansion were also really good, although it's hard to explore the latter because of annoying nest keepers and dogs (I'm still not sure if killing them counts as a kill, so I had to either avoid them or waste darts)

Dogs definitely don't count as kills, I murdererd a ton of them. A more detailed statistic of killed enemies would be nice, I also got one or two corpses at the end without ever touching anyone. Probably rats or bloodflies.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gonna play this game this weekend, just have some questions.

1. To play with or without magic? What is most fun, and makes more sense in the story?

2. Play as Corvo or the girl? Best for story?

3. What is recommended, lethal or non-lethal? I played the first game as non-lethal but it was kinda boring. All the cool stuff was designed for lethal. But it made sense story-wise I guess, not murdering everyone...

DeepOcean

Arcane

1. To play with or without magic? What is most fun, and makes more sense in the story?

2. Play as Corvo or the girl? Best for story?

3. What is recommended, lethal or non-lethal? I played the first game as non-lethal but it was kinda boring. All the cool stuff was designed for lethal. But it made sense story-wise I guess, not murdering everyone...
1. Without magic

2. Girl

3. Both

1. The powers allow you to abuse the AI and they can't defend themselves, they completely destroy the difficulty. Being without powers means the Ai becomes a decent enough of a threat and you can't just jump around the level skipping the encounters.

2. The story doesn't make much of a sense with Corvo, even with Stephen Russel. It is obvious they wanted to make this game with a woman protagonist and then chickened out. If you play with Corvo, it will be boring if you played Dishonored 01 already as the powers remain exactly the same.

3. Even without powers, the AI is still completely incompetent into being a threat, unless you are an old lady with arthritis and completely suck at aiming . There is very little of variation on enemies what makes fighting them kinda samey really fast. Just go hiding and when you fail, just go on a rampage then go back stealth.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter

1. On your first playthrough, you'll want to accept the Outsider's mark. Some really fun stuff you can do.

2. Play as Emily, the story was made for her and makes the most sense that way.

3. Go non-lethal and don't sweat it if you have to go lethal on someone here and there on your first playthrough. The game is more challenging if you go for stealth and non-lethal.

DeepOcean

Arcane
To me, the powers are cheat mode, where is the fun if you can just one shot all the guards on the room with the pressing of a button? Some of those powers would require cheat codes to unlock on the past. If you are the sort of the player that really enjoy doing things on less efficient ways when you aren't really required to do it, its okay, if you wanna the game to push back sometimes, don't pick the powers.

Be aware that without powers, the game becomes alot slower as you can't freely move around ignoring enemies. So it is speed and sandboxy gameplay vs challenge, take your pick.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is recommended, lethal or non-lethal?
I guess I could see doing NL "for the achievement" as a challenge, but that's not fun for me. I think it's most fun to "play God": you've got super powers and you can get away with murder, so what do you do? I guess some people will kill everyone in sight just because they can, but I ask myself who should live and who should die. Those two guards about to murder that citizen by shoving him through the Wall of Light? Boom, dead, leaving the world no poorer. Those guys patrolling the wall just doing their job? They don't deserve to die for that. Maybe it's too LARPy for some but for me it keeps things way more interesting than just popping moles.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Emily, non-lethal/ghost. I thought ghosting could be challenging enough at times, but maybe it's just me. (EDIT: But Zombra has a point too, if you want to play that way.)

As for powers vs no powers: if you only acknowledge pure stealth games and hate the idea of superpowers, sure, go for the latter; but if you're okay with enjoying this game for what it is (i.e. a hybrid genre where each level is more of sandbox in which to play around and try out various fun things and approaches) then I'd say do accept the Outsider's gift for your first playthrough - some of the powers are fairly fun, and the game's concept is designed around them.

You can also accept the gift but choose to stop using the powers at any point if you end up disliking them. It's not like the game is terribly hard either way.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Kay, finished it on highest difficulty as Corvo. Non-lethal all the way with a few accidental kills, and managed to 'Ghost' 50% of the missions. Got a few detections due to not properly understanding how the clockwork robots worked. Apparently, you can lop off their heads, but they'll still detect you if you make noise and don't move away from the spot in which the noise was made--this causes them to 'see' you.

So general thoughts are kind of what have been echoed by others here:

Good:
+ Level design is consistently varied. I enjoyed myself thoroughly in this aspect. There are just so many ways to get to your objective even without powers.
+ There were many options to overcome obstacles, again even without powers.
+ AI is pretty good. They spot missing patrols, open doors, missing items, and even your bullet trajectory. They're also not as blind anymore.
+ Ambient music is nice.

Bad:
- Inconsistency of the sound design. What you hear is not necessarily what enemies do, and this is even more glaring once you get the less noisy running and sprinting upgrades. This was also the case with Dishonored 1. Seriously, if there's a weakest link, it's the sound design.
- Game lags after about 2 hours in.
- Lol Arkane still doesn't understand what 'Ghosting' means.

Neutral:
= I'm fine with the story. It's a simple revenge tale. It's the final few scenes that I thought could have been better.
= Graphics are alright. Everyone still looks stylishly ugly. However, it annoys me that there is a filter on certain textures, like glass, which affects my vision but not that of NPCs. It's also tough to spot NPCs in dark places up close, but they can see you just fine from that same distance. Wish they'd shortened the distance in which darkness starts to affect your visibility to NPCs.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I got this and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for £20. Both on PS4. Hopefully, I will play it this weekend.

These guys are working on the Prey franchise? Hopefully they're hard at work, trying to create alien geometries!

You think they can pull off stuff like portals and antigrav floors? And more importantly, new stuff? I hope so.

Wait, WTF, why no Arx 2?

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
RIP Dishonored 2 DLC, Dishonored 3 and Prey 2. The last one died twice it seems.
And I was waiting for a truthful continuation (not the sequel crap with the same characters), set in Tyvia, with this thief girl as a main character:

latest

lXSWGjR.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom