Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sub-par how? Dishonored was pretty good action adventure game, nothing suggests that Dishonored 2 is any worse

I will admit that it has a certain charm, it brings back things like vertical exploration and the stylized visuals are solid.

But stealth it shit (no real shadows (!?), Blink level design) and the combat is easy - there is no challenge in being the Predator in a world of retarded AIs.

In my opinion, the game has potential but unfortunately it doesn't excel in any department. That's why I don't expect Dishonored 2 to be more than mediocre because I don't think it will break the mold.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Dishonored's game design was oozing with stuff made by ambitious and talented creators that were only held back by shitty console hardware. I expect Dishonored 2 to be less inhibited thanks to more memory and raw power. Arkane definitely got their shit together.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Arkane can never reach their full potential as long as they're constrained by Bethesda.

Nobody can ever reach their full potential. That would be a fantasy. But at least Harvey and Raph aren't complete tools that bow down to Bethesda's retardedness unconditionally. They fight for every tiny bit and feature they want to have in their games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's probably a good thing they don't revamp rape Arx Fatalis.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Dishonored 2 is going to be a 10/10 GOTY, haters gonna butthurt.
The haters are just a bunch of oldskool Thief fanboys that still cannot get over the fact that Thi4f sucked donkey balls while Dishonored was a great game all around.

P.S. Replaying The Brigmore Witches right now - so much fun.

The haters are just a bunch of oldskool Thief fanboys that still cannot get over the fact that Thi4f sucked donkey balls while Dishonored was a great game all around.

Troll Harder.

Dishonored is the creme de la creme of AAA gaming as far as I can tell, but the honest-to-God truth is that it doesn't even come close to the gameplay of Thief 1/2.

Ivan

Arcane
It can't inherently satisfy Thief fans because it empowers you too much. I do wish Emily, as opposed to Corvo, were perhaps more tool-reliant, that would be awesome. My mind was blown when I played Thief for the first time in 2014 and learned how to play with rope arrows. Dishonored does have very good movement though. I loved the controls. Blinking is fun. I love watching those crazy combo videos. But no way in hell does it reach the lore, atmosphere, ingenuity of Thief.

But yeah, here's to hoping Emily plays much differently than Corvo. I would love her to feel more human, like Garret, octo-arm notwithstanding.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dishonored did have shadows, did it not? I remember it having them. It's not like you couldn't stand right in front of people in the best stealth game of all time, Thief 2 when there were shadows. I don't know how many times I looked guards in the face that couldn't see me because the area was darker.

Dishonored is no Thief and I don't see them saying that it is. If you guys want thief, go play the new game. :badnews:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Dishonored does employ the use of shadows; however, you'd have to take distance into account too. Standing in pitch darkness vs being in a lit area plays a part in your visibility, but you'll still need to be like 20m away in the former to be unnoticeable.

I think what annoyed me more was how unreliable sounds could be. You could shoot an enemy and he'd scream, but it wouldn't register as a sound to other NPCs simply... because. Likewise, a missed crossbow bolt gets more attention than a sword clanging against a wall.

Athos

Arcane
Dishonored was originally supposed to have "light gem" based stealth like Thief but it was scrapped.

Exactly. Another leftover is the possibility to snuff candles but as udm said darkness' role in the stealth mechanics was reduced and must be coupled with distance to be effective. Also, Dishonored doesn't want to be Thief 2.0, its main inspiration was clearly Deus Ex.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Actually, most Thief fans prefer Dishonored over Thi4f because it's a good game, while they hate nuThi4f.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Dishonored is the creme de la creme of AAA gaming as far as I can tell, but the honest-to-God truth is that it doesn't even come close to the gameplay of Thief 1/2.
Old Thief games had a more complex stealth system, no doubt, but you mistake sheer complexity for superiority. Employing simpler systems does not necessarily mean inferior gameplay or easier experience. With Dishonored it generally boils down to using or not using powers. Because powers are optional and there's a certain gratifications in denying the Outsider and relying on your own faculties.

spekkio

Arcane
But you mistake sheer complexity for superiority. Employing simpler systems does not necessarily mean inferior gameplay or easier experience.
:bro:

Too bad that most of the Dex suffers from this condition (complex = good automagically). :roll:

Declinator

Arbiter
Old Thief games had a more complex stealth system, no doubt, but you mistake sheer complexity for superiority. Employing simpler systems does not necessarily mean inferior gameplay or easier experience.

He did not say a single word about complexity being the reason for the superiority of Thief's gameplay...

:1/5: A pretty gnarly strawman

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dishonored is about assassins, killing people from behind, or front, without leaving trace is important. It would be bad idea to compare it with a pure stealth game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But Thief isn't any more complex than Dishonored, really, besides its light-and-shadow system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom