Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Latelistener

Arcane
This settles it. I'm not buying this shit.
It surprises me how forced replayability met with so much negativity.
fixd
Well, what do you know. Games like VtMB and AoD have "forced" replayability, as player not even meant to see all of the content in a single walkthrough, and turns out that it was always a massive decline.
Never thought I will be reading something like that on Codex.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

fixd
Do explain, is the player forced to replay the game or something?

No, the player is not forced to replay the game.

And I think players won’t understand Dishonored 2 till they play it twice, because there is so much overt conversation that you can miss, and lore to read and even just understanding the environment’s impact on the storytelling. Plus, there are all these powers and you don’t get enough runes to buy all of them; you can’t even buy half of the powers in one playthrough.

One play-through requires the player to choose one of the characters (Emily or Corvo) and that means: different dialogues and runes for each character, paths which are accessible to one character and not the other one. Basically different story-lines for each character.

This sounds good in theory but depending on the implementation it can be frustrating: you will never get the full story in one play-though and you will never know what is canon or not (only Arkane knows). As such there will be no definitive Dishonored 2 story and that lessen the value of Dishonored 2 experience as a whole.

I just don't want to finish the game and miss-understanding the ending just because I did not play twice. Cause maybe I don't have the time or the mood to play it twice. And I certainly don't want to know this considering that maybe the game will be as boring as the previous one.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

fixd

And I think players won’t understand Dishonored 2 till they play it twice, because there is so much overt conversation that you can miss, and lore to read and even just understanding the environment’s impact on the storytelling. Plus, there are all these powers and you don’t get enough runes to buy all of them; you can’t even buy half of the powers in one playthrough.

One play-through requires the player to choose one of the characters (Emily or Corvo) and that means: different dialogues and runes for each character, paths which are accessible to one character and not the other one. Basically different story-lines for each character.

This sounds good in theory but depending on the implementation it can be frustrating: you will never get the full story in one play-though and you will never know what is canon or not (only Arkane knows). As such there will be no definitive Dishonored 2 story and that lessen the value of Dishonored 2 experience as a whole.

I just don't want to finish the game and miss-understanding the ending just because I did not play twice. Cause maybe I don't have the time or the mood to play it twice. And I certainly don't want to know this considering that maybe the game will be as boring as the previous one.
Is there something wrong with multiple endings in general? Dishonored 1 already did this Low/High Chaos, even though it affected the final mission the most.
Not letting the player experience every single thing in one playthrough is one approach to replay value, and has been used in many RPGs. Otherwise you end up with Fallout 3 where you finish as God himself with maxed skills and SPECIAL stats as there is no reason to replay the game in the first place. Did you dislike Age of Decadence too?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the fuck? You'd rather play a game with only one path and only one ending because being "canon" more important to you than player choice? What the hell is wrong with you?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

fixd

Is there something wrong with multiple endings in general? Dishonored 1 already did this Low/High Chaos, even though it affected the final mission the most.
Not letting the player experience every single thing in one playthrough is one approach to replay value, and has been used in many RPGs. Otherwise you end up with Fallout 3 where you finish as God himself with maxed skills and SPECIAL stats as there is no reason to replay the game in the first place. Did you dislike Age of Decadence too?

There is nothing inherently wrong with multiple endings. But Dishonored's implementation was bad.

I don't like AoD but for different reasons. AoD implemented real C&C while Dishonored does not. AoD replay value is big while Dishonored replay value is shit ... unless you like to do the same thing again and again.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
What the fuck? You'd rather play a game with only one path and only one ending because being "canon" more important to you than player choice? What the hell is wrong with you?

I did not say that but enjoy your projection.

I was speaking about Dishonored. Did you know that low chaos is the canon ending? I didn't. What is the value of one ending if the developers will over-write it anyway!? Just saying.

Edit:

http://t.umblr.com/redirect?z=http:...xPOXhWc3RYZA==&m=1&b=t:Fwe39n8QgJpUd8jPQIXHSg

There is no canon ending for the first game. GG.

Last edited:

pippin

Multiple endings don't add anything of value by themselves. True replayability should be considered if the game changes dramatically when you are playing it (The Witcher 2 or New Vegas, for instance), not if the only consequence you will see is a marginally better cutscene at the end. This is why some games let you continue playing after you have finished the main storyline.

Latelistener

Arcane
RPG Codex > Choices and Consequences are shit
759.gif

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was speaking about Dishonored. Did you know that low chaos is the canon ending? I didn't. What is the value of one ending if the developers will over-write it anyway!? Just saying.
So for any game with multiple endings, if a sequel is made, then multiple sequels must be made to continue the stories of all different endings. Good luck with that mandate!

pippin

So for any game with multiple endings, if a sequel is made, then multiple sequels must be made to continue the stories of all different endings. Good luck with that mandate!

That speaks volumes about the laziness of videogame companies in general, both devs and publishers, and how "multiple endings!" is something meaningless. Remember how in a Wizardry game you could have different starting locations according to the endings you chose in the previous game.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

That speaks volumes about the laziness of videogame companies in general, both devs and publishers, and how "multiple endings!" is something meaningless. Remember how in a Wizardry game you could have different starting locations according to the endings you chose in the previous game.

It's not really laziness as compared to just how expensive and time consuming it is to pull that off nowadays as compared to how it was during Wizardry's development.

pippin

It's not really laziness as compared to just how expensive and time consuming it is to pull that off nowadays as compared to how it was during Wizardry's development.

Video games are the most profitable entertainment industry nowadays, or one of the most profitable at least. MOst of the things that change with current "mutiple endings" are just lines of dialogue and visual effects. I insist this is due to laziness more than anything else, and also because players demand games that aren't difficult to understand and play.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2016/09/28/dishonored-2-preview/1

Dishonored 2 Hands-On Preview
Dishonored 2 clicked with me in seconds. It's mostly the feel of it. The slick sensation of vaulting over a wall, sliding under a table or dashing down a corridor. With Dishonored 2 putting this much care into the way you move around, I couldn't help but be excited for what came next.

What came next for me, failing at stealth fairly hard during my EGX 2016 hands-on, was some combat. I'm playing Emily Kaldwin, and although I'm told that Emily favours the stealthy option, you couldn't tell when I started cutting loose - a quick use of her Domino power tied the fates of two guards attacking me. When I hit one with a grenade, the other pinwheeled away too, hurt by the blast as if he'd held the explosive to his own chest. Making the most of that aforementioned agility, I was able to quickly cut off enemies' routes of escape or dash to safety myself.

Most of the guards never stood a chance. The only thing evening the odds in their favour were the Clockworks. These guardians stand at various points in the giant clockwork mansion players are tasked with infiltrating, and they react to noise. If you make a noise they come alive, hunting you down mercilessly. They can kill you in a single strike and move faster than you, so they're an enemy to be respected and feared, but they can be killed easily from behind. They encourage stealthier play, or the judicious use of the game's grenades and exploding pistol ammo. Destroy their head and they can't see you anymore, hunting entirely by sound instead.

In this playable hands-on, if anything the problem is that I feel too powerful: I don't have to worry about the amount of chaos that will occur if I leave a stack of severed heads laying in a hallway, and similarly if it's anything like the hands-on for the original Dishonored, it will have been tweaked to give me access to a 'safe' set of powers that mesh together well to give me the best chance of success.

Regardless, there's an unmistakeable feeling of quality to certain games, and Dishonored 2 has it. The way you can scale one of the mansion's moving walls without clipping into anything and the easy way you slide across the floor between the swords of attackers mid-fight all reinforce the feeling that this is one hell of an adventure game. Bit-gamer alumni Joe Martin was (and still is) a fiercely enthusiastic fan of the original Dishonored, and I can see myself falling in love with the sequel with that same enthusiasm. 2016 has been packed with stellar AAA releases, but this looks like it's going to stand shoulder to shoulder with any of them in terms of quality. Keep an eye on it.

So the Clockwork soldiers can run faster than you and kill you with a single strike. Informative!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As long as playing a full ghost stealth playthrough is moderately challenging

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom