Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

opium fiend

Augur
I also dislike the NPCs 'alignment' having an effect on chaos in the city. An asshole still has a family to feed, his corpse still stinks and feeds rats and overall contributes as much to the desperate mood of the plague-ridden city.

I tried to play mostly non lethal and used the heart to decide who to try to spare. Loved the moments like 'he spends every night trying to learn to read', to bad he also insists not moving from that doorway

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Official version:

After showing a bloody, brutal gameplay demo at QuakeCon 2016 featuring the game’s original assassin, Corvo Attano, Arkane Studios moved the spotlight back onto to Empress Emily Kaldwin, the game’s newest assassin. See some new highlights of both Corvo and Emily in action in the new gameplay video.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Written explanation from Bethesda.net: https://bethesda.net/#en/events/gam...2016-dishonored-2-prey-legends/2016/08/19/180

At Gamescom, Emily Kaldwin took center stage, showing off her all-new powers in a new setting: the Clockwork Mansion. Originally teased in the game’s announce trailer at E3 2015, the Clockwork Mansion is a signature themed level in which the player can trigger a series of switches to literally change the mansion around them. The walls move. The floors shift. New pathways are revealed with every alteration. Savvy assassins can even find their way through the mechanics embedded behind the walls, offering even more freedom to navigate through this complex and detailed level.

The demo begins with a look at the surrounding areas, showing off the lush, sun-splashed setting that differentiates Karnaca from Dunwall. Through narration delivered by her ally Meagan Foster, Emily is warned about the mansion’s owner, Kirin Jindosh: “The Duke’s circle is full of clever bastards, but no one is like Jindosh. His home is supposed to be full of marvels, and there’s a reason people are afraid of his mansion. Jindosh won’t care who you are or what you want. He looks at you like you’re a puzzle, to be taken apart.”

Dishonored2_Karnaca_GamesCom_730x411.png

Emily arrives at the outskirts of the mansion to see a courtyard crawling with guards. She uses Shadow Walk to sneak by, brutally eviscerating two of them while still in shadowy form. Once she materializes again, she links together three guards with her Domino power and slices off the head of her nearest foe – causing the remaining pair to part with their heads as well.

Upon entering the mansion, Emily triggers the first switch she sees – and even within that initial room the possibilities are dizzying. Walls drop. The floor slips away. A Clockwork Soldier rises up from an opening below. A majestic staircase emerges, leading to an upper level that’s lined with curio cabinets. Doors materialize. Pathways appear – both within the clockwork of the walls themselves, and in the newly formed room. A closed chamber gives way to grand hall. And we hear Jindosh’s voice, welcoming Emily with an overly solicitous tone that drips with menace.

Dishonored2_QC_03_730x411.png

Moving from room to room, triggering switch after switch, Emily is accompanied by Jindosh’s voice – until she spots him walking toward her, safely behind a glass barrier. Jindosh comes closer, puffing on his ceramic thumb (which doubles as a pipe). He recognizes Emily. And then the chase begins.

Jindosh sets his Clockwork Soliders against Emily, who uses a combination of her abilities, her weapons and the building itself to dodge her foes and destroy a few of these mechanical menaces along the way. At another point she summons a Doppelganger to help fight off a human guard and Clockwork Soldier. Later, we see Emily take down a human guard with her sword, before using Far Reach to pull herself through the space between the shifting walls. In an expert flurry of motion, Emily triggers a change in the mansion and rushes through the moving walls to emerge on a balcony with a stunning view of Karnaca below. She then navigates her way along the outside of the mansion, heading back inside via a vent that brings her ever closer to Jindosh himself. The demo ends with Emily capturing Jindosh, battling a series of Clockwork Soldiers… and making a tough choice about whether to finish him.

Dishonored2_Combat_GamesCom_730x411.png

Also shown at Gamescom to select media: a first look at the Royal Conservatory – a new level in which Emily faces off against the mysterious Witches. These slithery, magical foes originally appeared in the Dishonored DLC, and return with a vengeance in Dishonored 2. In another high-chaos demo, media saw a fast-paced display of Emily’s abilities in action, as she slices, shoots and powers her way through witch after witch – until an unexpected ending. (Want to know more about the Witches? Pre-order Dishonored 2 and you’ll get a free copy of Dishonored Definitive Edition, which includes the DLC where the Witches are first introduced.)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I also dislike the NPCs 'alignment' having an effect on chaos in the city. An asshole still has a family to feed, his corpse still stinks and feeds rats and overall contributes as much to the desperate mood of the plague-ridden city.

I tried to play mostly non lethal and used the heart to decide who to try to spare. Loved the moments like 'he spends every night trying to learn to read', to bad he also insists not moving from that doorway
My thoughts exactly. I'm currently replaying Thief Gold and Dishonored side by side (one mission from one and one from the other) and I'm somewhat skeptical of Dishonored 2 providing stealth gameplay options that will be more than an afterthought. No bad feelings. but that's the way it seems to me.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My understanding is that killing a jerk does still add to chaos, just not as much as killing a saint. Am I wrong?

opium fiend

Augur
My understanding is that killing a jerk does still add to chaos, just not as much as killing a saint. Am I wrong?

No, you're not wrong. I just like it better that ever counts the same. As someone else said, it's about Corvo/Emily, not making the world a better place.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

No, killing a saint will add more to chaos than killing a murderous bastard.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I was bit pissed with Dishonored. All that talking about Victorian era. And then you have only two choices and... Well I expected one of ending would be rats disappeared and Corwo as evil murderer, and with the daughter that would be emperess which would drive the country to prosperity while being completely evil and nice.

Logic said without few murders at correct places things will not become better. But murdering even these who can bring cure, or finish vacation and rat would follow, that should bring disaster as well. So happy ending should be only when Corvo would do thing with brain and right, and kill correct people.

But instead, we have rescuing a daughter. In next game we would have musings of old man about his daughter and stuff... Honestly I'd be playing FFXV and either someone beat some brain into developers, or put me at leading developer for story position. Honestly Daugh was somehow fine even if too slavishly repeating mistakes of classic era theatrics play.

But the main story of Dishonored... It's really primitive, and that sucks balls.

Latelistener

Arcane
But the main story of Dishonored... It's really primitive, and that sucks balls.
Especially when you found out the motivation behind the actions of the main villain.

The dude decided to import the plague with rats to get rid of poverty (basically, all of the poor people in the city), and when the Empress was about to find out he killed her too. Of course he recorded all of his thoughts on "tape" so you could use it to uncover the truth.
That's the Bethesda level of writing, and why I think they need as much Avellone as they can get to make Prey really good.

Last edited:

opium fiend

Augur
Well, it's heavily implied that the spoiler guy above is completely obsessed with order and cleanliness and equates poverty with laziness and irresponsibility, which somehow explains how the hell he planned on having a functional country without working class.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Especially when you found out the motivation behind the actions of the main villain.

The dude decided to import the plague with rats to get rid of poverty (basically, all of the poor people in the city), and when the Empress was about to find out he killed her too. Of course he recorded all of his thoughts on "tape" so you could use it to uncover the truth.
That's the Bethesda level of writing, and why I think they need as much Avellone as they can get to make Prey really good.
Actually that's quite realistic. There were people in high position who are thinking like that. Typically rich especially these who get into positiotion by luck and thinking everyone could.

In fact, there is a current large example of state that tries to kill unwanted citizens. Ukraine moved theirs low income to front lines and is hoping that rebels would kill them by artillery.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://bethesda.net/?hootPostID=07...ed-2-visit-karnaca-at-pax-west/2016/08/24/183

Dishonored 2 – Visit Karnaca at PAX West
If you’re heading to PAX West in Seattle, you can experience all the atmosphere of Karnaca (minus those pesky bloodflies) with a few blinks over our community experience. We’re taking over the Center for Wooden Boats and turning it into Dishonored 2’s Dust District. You’ll meet a variety of characters from the game, enjoy delicious food & drink, and take part in Karnaca’s vibrant street life.

Your visit to Karnaca starts at 7pm on Sunday, September 4. Attendees will be able to check out a special showing of Dishonored 2 gameplay, presented by Arkane Co-Creative Director Harvey Smith. We’ll have additional information on Dishonored 2 events, giveaways and more at PAX West soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-with-arkanes-harvey-smith-about-dishonored-2

Gamescom appointments are, by and large, a hurried affair. Get in, ask questions, get out, write up. Everyone, from developers to journalists to exhibitors, has a harried look in their eye and half a mind on where their next caffeinated beverage is coming from. So, sometimes it's nice to get a chance to sit down in an air-conditioned room and have a slightly longer, more relaxed chat about a game you're genuinely looking forward to playing. In this case, it's Dishonored 2, and I spoke to co-creative director Harvey Smith about, well, pretty much everything to do with the game, to be honest. The thought processes that led to the sequel, the reasoning behind having Emily and Corvo as dual (but not intersecting) protagonists, the nightmare that is designing levels that can be played not only with different sets of powers but also no powers at all, and certain incidents that may or may not involve drowning chambermaids.

It's a long chat, but an interesting one if you have the time. It's also funny listening to Smith talk about his experiences with the original Thief and the pleasures of discovering the 'rules' of an in-game world - I had the exact same experiences with the original Dishonored. Hands up if you got cheated out of the Clean Hands trophy for leaving an unconscious body somewhere the rats could get to it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Join Hugo Martin (id), Harvey Smith (Arkane), Ricardo Bare (Arkane), Andrew Reiner (Game Informer), Scott Porter (Actor) and Rick Malambri (Actor/Streamer) as they discuss the creative process and differences behind entertainment. Moderated by Andrea Rene and Geoff Keighley

Ivan

Arcane
that men cut their hair shorter on the sides than on the top is starting to concern me.

Modron

Arcane
that men cut their hair shorter on the sides than on the top is starting to concern me.
Isn't that generally how most men cut their hair or are you just waxing nostalgic for the era of afros, perms, and mullets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom