Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if Dishonored's character art direction was inspired by this photo: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2012/apr/06/roger-ballen-photographer

Roger-Ballen-Dresie-and-C-008.jpg

latest
AdmiralHavelock.png

Dishonored's characters faces were inspired by britbongs. It fits pretty well tbqh.

tormund

Arcane
Jokes aside, I'm not sure that their character designs translate well to highly detailed graphics. It worked well in first Dishonored due to its relatively low detail, slightly cartoony visuals.
When I look at that close up of guard's face from few pages ago, with detailed "realistic" skin texturing, first thing that comes to my mind is this
la-gorra.jpg

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
It's cool to hate on Bethesda around these parts, but take a look at their line-up of AAA games and tell me if you can imagine some of them being published by any other major publisher: Dishonored and its even more ambitious sequel, several old school shooters with AAA production values (Doom and latest Wolfenstein games), old school survival horror from the creator of RE series (Evil Within), and if rumors prove to be true they will publish a spiritual successor to System Shock series (Prey 2). And then we have insane level of support for PC versions and endorsement of modding, which is once again something you won't find elsewhere.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They need to make the switch to blu ray discs for PC already because I can't play any of these things unless they make a definitive edition that has all the info on discs. :M

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
I'm not sure if you are being serious, but you do realize that PC gaming market has switched to digital distribution to a point where so called retail releases only contain Steam codes (or Ubi store or Origin codes in case they come from those two publishers) instead of disks with complete game data?
There is no point in asking for switch to blu ray for retail releases of PC games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not sure if you are being serious, but you do realize that PC gaming market has switched to digital distribution to a point where so called retail releases only contain Steam codes (or Ubi store or Origin codes in case they come from those two publishers) instead of disks with complete game data?
There is no point in asking for switch to blu ray for retail releases of PC games.

My copy of Dragon Age Inquisition came with everything except a 1-2 gb patch. Witcher 3 also just requires a 1-2 gb patch. GTAV ships on something like seven discs and requires a 5gb update, but that's still better than Bethesda style "one disc with 4 gb, you have to download the other 30-40+."

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Bethesda has some of the finest in-house studios under it's wings. Bethesda Game Studios itself only makes overrated bland shit, but the works of Arkane and MachineGames alone and the creative freedom and integrity these studios enjoy makes up for all the other shortcomings.

Divinity: Original Sin
It's cool to hate on Bethesda around these parts, but take a look at their line-up of AAA games and tell me if you can imagine some of them being published by any other major publisher: Dishonored and its even more ambitious sequel, several old school shooters with AAA production values (Doom and latest Wolfenstein games), old school survival horror from the creator of RE series (Evil Within), and if rumors prove to be true they will publish a spiritual successor to System Shock series (Prey 2). And then we have insane level of support for PC versions and endorsement of modding, which is once again something you won't find elsewhere.

Dishonored is a good game, but far from the magnificence of thief. I believe this second one will be better, but still no shadows and lots of OP abilities. To make it easier.

NuDoom and nuWolf may be good games, but it's a stretch calling them oldschool.

Can't say a thing about evil within, but i would guess it's closer to modern survival horrors and resident evils past 4.

About S.S.S.S. (system shock spiritual sequel), we already had Bioshock...

They're just bringing names from the past and slaping on their modern console based games.

mod suport is present only in TES and fallout. Nothing relevant for dishonored 1, nuDoom, nuWolf.

You can't even have good Antialiasing in nuWolf.

Back to topic, this new dishonored seems like the original one with better graphics. I just hope the game comes with default non-disappearing corpses after 3 or 4 killings/knockouts.

Dishonored never was meant to be Thief.

Oh, of course not. Marketing campaings even made an effort to distance itself from thief. Also, it's more of a spiritual sucessor to thief than bioshock ever was to ss2. There's no denying the similarities (down to the people involved and mission design elements). And even though it is its own thing, it still is inferior to thief. I also mentioned shadows because I believe they considered that at some point in the game development.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I believe they cut shadows because Harvey Smith felt that it wouldn't make sense for you to be able to hide in the shadows in plain sight and not be spotted.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
I believe they cut shadows because Harvey Smith felt that it wouldn't make sense for you to be able to hide in the shadows in plain sight and not be spotted.

Lighting based stealth of the sort that is used in Thief and Splinter Cell already demands heavy suspension of disbelief. And then there is the fact that large part of Dishonored & its DLC missions, and Dishonored 2 ones by the looks of it, is happening during the day.

And even though it is its own thing, it still is inferior to thief.
Does not compute.

We have two games with wholly different focus, You might prefer one over the another, but you cannot claim how one is objectively inferior because they are trying to do different things. Imagine saying how Deus Ex (original game) is inferior to Thief because it has inferior stealth mechanics...

And even though it is its own thing, it still is inferior to thief.
Does not compute.

We have two games with wholly different focus, You might prefer one over the another, but you cannot claim how one is objectively inferior because they are trying to do different things. Imagine saying how Deus Ex (original game) is inferior to Thief because it has inferior stealth mechanics...

Thief is a masterpiece. Dishonored may have never tried to be thief, but when you see the "loot" game-play, in-game terms like "ghost" (a term originated by thief community), and the people involved in development, you see that thief is the main inspiration. Even corvo now has garrett's voice, and one final mission is a copy Thief dark project final mission. Even level progressing structure is similar to thief. Dishonored is more thief-like game-play wise, than D44M is to doom 1 and 2. Dishonored is more thief then Thiaf ever was. If you want a modern day AAA title that is the closest to thief game-play, dishonored is your bet. The difference is that with dishonored, they rewarded reckless gameplay also, which is what makes it sufficient to be classified as not thief, therefore, more accessible to players that are not fond of stealth gameplay.

Oh, and if you take arkane's history, their first game is also a ultima underworld spiritual sequel (arx fatalis).

That being said, it's is inferior to thief, and fuck the focus. Also, i stand corrected on my stance in agreeing with Morgoth:

Dishonored never was meant to be Thief.

Oh, of course not. Marketing campaings even made an effort to distance itself from thief. Also, it's more of a spiritual successor to thief than bioshock ever was to ss2. There's no denying the similarities (down to the people involved and mission design elements). And even though it is its own thing, it still is inferior to thief. I also mentioned shadows because I believe they considered that at some point in the game development.

Due to the evidence I just presented myself above, it was never meant to be thief, but surely the game really tries to be thief and actually it almost succeeded.

Oh, I'm not saying dishonored is a bad game. I liked dishonored. I'm inclined to buy dishonored 2, actually it could be a D1P, but bethesda games prices are a rip-off here in Brazil, I have money to buy but i disagree with this policy.

In any case, dishonored is not made by bethesda anyway.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I mentioned this in the Dishonored 1 thread: shadows do still play a part. They will affect enemies' ability to detect you. How it differs from Thief is that it no longer completely conceals you unless you put some distance between yourself and the enemy. I like this system, but I also like the light gem one. Both have their pros and cons and work well with the game that they're implemented in.

What's more retarded in Dishonored 1 was the inconsistency of sound-based stealth elements. Shooting a crossbow bolt into a mattress alerts half the map but shooting it into flesh when there's an NPC not far away from the target doesn't. Likewise, enemies sometimes scream when hurt but that doesn't do fuck all for his nearby friends until he screams "Help! Assassin!" Hopefully they improve on this in Dishonored 2

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Um, I never said that shadows don't play any role, I said this: "environment lightning almost wholly removed from the picture"- Emphasis on "almost". It is handled so subtly that you can notice how most people aren't even aware that there is some effect of lighting on how visible you are.
I like this system too, as it is more realistic than Thief and SC one so to speak. In those games, shadows provide safe spaces for player and thus harm the tension of sneaking, not to mention how unbelievable entire system is.

Doktor Best

Arcane
And Thief is inferior to Deus Ex or Dishonored if you want a stealth/fps mix.

I am really looking forward to Dishonored 2. Dishonored was a surprise hit for me, i really liked it.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Same here, Dishonored was one of the best new IPs of previous console gen.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Um, I never said that shadows don't play any role, I said this: "environment lightning almost wholly removed from the picture"- Emphasis on "almost". It is handled so subtly that you can notice how most people aren't even aware that there is some effect of lighting on how visible you are.
I like this system too, as it is more realistic than Thief and SC one so to speak. In those games, shadows provide safe spaces for player and thus harm the tension of sneaking, not to mention how unbelievable entire system is.

I wasn't talking to you.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-smith-refuses-to-dumb-down-dishonored-2.aspx

Why Harvey Smith Refuses To 'Dumb Down' Dishonored 2

It's a nebulous genre, but Arkane Studios and Dishonored 2's creative director Harvey Smith have an undying passion for "immersive first-person" games. With our June cover story detailing Dishonored 2, we break down what's exciting about the sequel's gameplay, and while visiting the studio we spoke to Smith about the game's place within the evolving genre. We discuss the importance of voicing the protagonists this time around, how much attention the developers can demand from players, and the impact that Smith hopes the game has on the industry. If you want to ask Harvey Smith something about his career or Dishonored 1 or 2, head here to leave your comment and we'll ask him on an upcoming podcast.

Watch the video below to learn more about Dishonored 2 and why Smith believes that, "you don't have to dumb down your game."

Yeah watch the video you fags because I cannot into inserting this shit here.

Ash

Arcane
"Why Harvey Smith Refuses To 'Dumb Down' Dishonored 2"

But Dishonored 1 was already dumb...or are we going all-in this time? I'd jump with joy if that were the case, and yeah, you don't need to dumb down your game when you have the Bethesda/Zenimax marketing powerhouse and company image (popular among the popamolers) backing you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom