Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Dishonored 2 - Emily and Corvo's Serkonan Vacation

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Level design of Thief 1/2 is certainly more complex but the gameplay isn't.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Thief comparisons are redundant, Dishonored is a DX clone through and through gameplay-wise.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dishonored had these two problems: 1. they didn't had proper evil is better ending. 2. They didn't shown proper Victorian 14 year old mistress settings.
Actually there was another problem, they wanted to use a small girl to create emotional feelings, instead of going into smart adolescent gild with its own mind and ideas, some of these quite nasty.

Father rescuing girl that looks like his daughter is a theme which is aimed at retards. Could they do better? For surely yes.

Athos

Arcane
Actually there was another problem, they wanted to use a small girl to create emotional feelings, instead of going into smart adolescent gild with its own mind and ideas, some of these quite nasty.

Play high chaos style

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
But Thief isn't any more complex than Dishonored, really, besides its light-and-shadow system.
Footsteps sound depending on the surface type was a fairly complex system to implement. Basically every horizontal surface needs a type property attached to it and you must make sure the type always matches the texture.

Not saying it was a bad thing of course. It was a nice step towards more realistic physics (because physics isn't just destructibe objects) and modern stealthers definitely could use that feature.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Play high chaos style

Yes this is what I was talking about, childish scribbles. A simplistic attempt to cover story deficiencies by playing the "small children" factor. But, it doesn't feel right for the story.

BTW have you noticed from which book/movie has been ripped the alternate ending of Lady Boyle's Last Party?

Athos

Arcane
Yes this is what I was talking about, childish scribbles. A simplistic attempt to cover story deficiencies by playing on "small children" factor. But, it doesn't feel right for the story.

BTW have you noticed from which book/movie has been ripped the alternate ending of Lady Boyle's Last Party?
Eh, I think it was more like an attempt at "show, don't tell" storytelling, since the player can't interact extensively with characters. Besides, in my opinion, Emily is better as a little girl. Giving her agency in the story as a teenager totally indipendent from the player would have ruined the "frame-like" story the writers wanted as a basis for the assassination missions. It looks like she will be on her own in the sequel though.

About Lady Boyle...
you mean the kidnapping with the mysterious perv? No, I haven't noticed anything. Where did they take that from?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Derpshonored is easy on low chaos/stealth and laughably easy on high chaos/super powers/kill-kill.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You mean Thi4f ... err Dark Project, Abu?
No, people should play the new Thief and then truly despair. I think I played the first level before deleting the game. I tried it out because it was one of the games on offer for PS+ some time ago.
:outrage:
Dishonored is a perfectly fine game, although a bit on the easy side, even on the highest difficulty. I still had a lot of fun with it. Enough to buy both story DLCs (when they were on sale). I see it as a mix between Deus Ex and Thief, just not as good but enjoyable. The new Thief, l don't even have words for how much I hated it. It's in Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel awful territory.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.examiner.com/article/bet...2-was-green-lit-and-when-it-could-be-launched

Bethesda Softworks is full steam ahead when it comes to getting Fallout 4 ready for launch this coming November, however, things do not stop for the publisher as they have a slew of other major titles slated for release in early 2016: Dishonored 2 and DOOM. As of now, they are due to launch during the first six months of next year, but as we all have seen with development, things can happen that change that.

Examiner.com recently had the opportunity to catch up with Bethesda's Marketing and PR boss Pete Hines to discuss the major game that was revealed at E3 2015, Dishonored 2. In Hines' opening monologue at E3 he said all of the games we would see were coming from Bethesda over the next year, implying that both Dishonored 2 and DOOM would be out before E3 2016, right?

When we asked Hines this, he simply replied with, "Dishonored 2 and DOOM," which is an expected answer especially when you consider the fact that Bethesda is committed to shipping games when they are ready and games can be delayed if need be. The former though was a project that was quickly green-lit after the original Dishonored had turned out to be a success.

"Pretty much. Based off of the success of Dishonored, and it’s not like it was the next day where we thought okay it’s green-lit, they had to go design it and figure out what it was, in addition to doing DLC [for the first game]. They had multiple things going on, but it was not long after launch that they said 'okay, here’s what it will look like and here’s what we’re doing,'" Hines said.

The team was able to get cranking on what would eventually be the next iteration in the Dishonored franchise. For developer Arkane Studios, they didn't have to waste any time on foundational concepts for Dishonored 2 because they already knew what the series was. That's usually not true when it comes to creating a brand-new IP.

"The process of what’s going to be new, what’s going to be different and what will change, that process took a bit because they spent a lot of time looking at the feedback on Dishonored from fans. They compared that to their own internal ideas. One of the things you have to appreciate is when you are doing new IP, you often spend a ton of time, as Arkane did, just figuring out the rules of the world. What is Dishonored? What is the DNA of this franchise? Even as you’re a fair ways down the road, you’re still figuring it out," Hines said.

Development will be different for Arkane Studios, though the fact that they haven't yet worked with the PS4 and Xbox One will certainly make development a bit more challenging than if it was a game coming to last-gen. Studios have to learn how to best utilize consoles and when it comes to a new-generation, that process takes time.

The team working on Fallout 4 didn't have to waste time on basic concepts because they knew what the game was about and Arkane will be able to enjoy the same benefit when creating Dishonored 2. Hines spoke about what Arkane gains by not having to spend time on foundational elements.

"Whereas when you compare that to Fallout 4, they haven’t spent a lot of time figuring out what Fallout is, right? They’re figuring out what they’re doing in the game and what they want Fallout 4 to be about. So with Dishonored 2, part of it is being free from having to figure out what the rules of the world are or what the tone is. It’s being able to say ‘okay, now we can spend more time and energy focusing on how to evolve this, how to evolve that. What if we add this thing? What if we add that thing?'" Hines said.

As we have seen with any gaming franchise, the second installment seems to progress and evolve a franchise further than the original did. The first iteration is always a solid start to what a brand can be, but the second iteration is where developers can really wow people. Hines spoke about the studio's focus and what they didn't want to do with Dishonored 2.

"[Arkane] was able to spend a lot more time deciding those kinds of things and how Dishonored 2 is going to move things forward. To your point, you could’ve just re-skinned it and put out Dishonored 2 the next year if that’s all you wanted to do, but we aspire for our games to hopefully do a bit more than that," Hines said.

Dishonored 2 will be releasing sometime during the early part of next year, though unforeseen development challenges can always change things. The game will be a PS4, Xbox One and PC only title.

That's a lot of text for basically saying nothing.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So, last year the Art Ludqiue museum in Paris had an exhibition on art in video games, and there were some Dishonored paintings and clay sculptures presented, too. Some dude by the name of Pauolo went there and took some snapshots, and also bought the exposition's book with some exclusive Dishonored 2 artworks in it.

You can find more of his stuff here (scroll down to ~middle of page):
http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:X-Machinist-X/Dishonored_random_stuff#comm-52164

But I'm gonna post the Dishonored 2 related concept art here:

2475603.jpg

dish3elk8a.jpg

dish25oxfw.jpg

dish1feb4w.jpg

Love it. Serkonos looks sexy as hell.

Ivan

Arcane
what's up with the frankenstein, robot and the dude in the hazmat on the left?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom