Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disgaea 5 Complete released on Steam

Reinhardt

Arcane
30 fps game still better than 1560568947 fps shit. So i'm still with japs on this issue.

Falksi

Arcane
In terms of story and characters, I like Disgaea, Disgaea D2, and Disgaea 5. Laharl, Etna, and Flonne are good characters with excellent voice actors, pitch-perfect personalities for the setting, and fun interplay. The D5 crew really surprised me. I actually liked them almost as much as the originals, and that feeling hasn't faded.

D2's cast are just ho-hum, in my opinion. D3's cast are actively repellent to me and I've never been a fan of the school theme in Japanese media to boot, so that doesn't help. The characters are obnoxious in a bad way and forgettable. Probably a lot was lost in translation to English.

I remember thinking D4's cast were pretty okay, but they did the opposite of grow on me, and I like them less and less each time a new Disgaea game reminds me of them.

Laharl is by far my favorite character because he (voiced by a she) is obnoxious, overbearing, overblown, pigheaded, foolish, and rude in just the correct way to be fun and amusing. Also, he demonstrates why animetard "purists" who insist on original Japanese voices in absolutely everything are often just having a circlejerk. Sometimes, the English voice actors are very good and much better at conveying a tone that resonates with people who aren't Japanese.

I thrive on Disgaea 1 mainly because of the Laharl-Etna-Flonne interaction. With that in mind, is Disgaea 5 up to that standard or anywhere near it?

Also, is Disgaea 2 even worth looking at?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I thrive on Disgaea 1 mainly because of the Laharl-Etna-Flonne interaction. With that in mind, is Disgaea 5 up to that standard or anywhere near it?

Also, is Disgaea 2 even worth looking at?

Yes and possibly yes, although if you intend to play both you should play 2 first, because as you continue into the series the earlier entries with fewer features seem increasingly more primitive, even if they didn't at the time. Honestly, Disgaea's added features have always been pretty good additions overall, although D5 is the "We remember all the unintended exploits people have used in previous games and we've closed all the loopholes and balanced grinding to be a bit less tedious" entry in the series. Of special note, in 5 they've closed innocent exploits but dealing with them is (somewhat) less tedious now, since you can "breed" them in a "farm."

You probably don't know/remember too much about capturing Land of Carnage units or Puppy Paw Stick duping, but yeah, it was super-cheaty beyond the tongue-in-cheek "cheating" (but not really, it's intentional) to Lv 9999. It was fun discovering and testing them, though.

Perkel

Arcane
I like how people think 3 is the worst but don't even mention at all 4 lol. Like it was completely errased from their memory.

3 was ok.

4 one is just straight up fucking boring and all humor is so fucking not on point that it is annoying to even listen.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I like how people think 3 is the worst but don't even mention at all 4 lol. Like it was completely errased from their memory.

That doesn't happen at all. You just made it up.

It was pretty boring, though.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I've only played D1 and got through several chapters of it. I'm on 5th, I think, the one after mandatory Item World.

Probably approached it in a wrong way. I've tried to create proper big party with spare characters covering all kinds of abilities and situations. Getting EXP for healers is a chore so it took some time and no one still approaches the power of Laharl or Etna. Now that I think about it maybe those other non-story guys should remain relatively weak and used for early Item World levels or support main characters and being one-shot by big guys. At least until I get to sidequests and challenges.

Anyway, do I understand correctly that D5 is just a straight up upgrade in every way over D1? No reason to cling to D1 once it's out?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's been a good long while since I've played D1, but in general, there's no wrong way to play through the story. Later on, you'll gain much more powerful ways of upgrading characters, such that the entire story will end up being a drop in the bucket as far as character "strengthening" is concerned.

Anyway, there's no sense in rushing. You might as well finish D1's story and do at least some of the post-game.

deama

Prophet
I played through D1 (almost finished it) and gave up cause the characters and story got too annoying; as well as me having had my fill of the gameplay.
Will I enjoy D5 more?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If you didn't even finish D1's story, then I wouldn't bother. The meat of the game for many people is in the post-game, and is where most of the complexity lies, but if animu gigglesquee omae wa mou shindeiru NANI?! pika pika uguu~ bothers you that much, probably not worth it for you.

Martius

Liturgist
For some reason people got their demos keys/access revoked. I wonder why? I heard that demo gave access to full game but NISA said that was not the case.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They also removed release date from store page. Possible delay is coming...

There's a saying that the demo included the full game files so someone cracked it with help of a beta tester. But I can't find a confirmation or anything.

Looks like NISA is doing NISA.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The demo had the first 3 chapters unlocked, which is 2 more than the Playstation demo circa 2017, and people thought it was the "full game"

Given the fact Disagea isn't flooding crack sites atm you can be pretty sure it's actually not the full game. Also the port =/= localisation although the demo was technically good, it's NISA always be suspicious of NISA.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Delayed to Summer, due to an undisclosed issue: https://steamcommunity.com/games/803600/announcements/detail/1658891645927167741

An Announcement Regarding Disgaea 5 Complete on Steam

Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm regarding the Disgaea 5 Complete release on PC.

As beta testing has been ongoing, we have been fixing bugs and issues as they were discovered. While working on corrections last night, we came across a new issue that requires additional attention that will take more time to resolve. Unfortunately, until this issue can be resolved, the release date will be postponed, and we are now targeting a release for Summer 2018. We offer our sincerest apologies to all who have been looking forward to this release of the game.

Currently, we have had to disable all demo keys that have been distributed. Once we have determined the game is ready for launch, we will open a new demo that will require the use of new keys.

At this time, we would also like to address the concerns of our fans who pre-purchased this title. We will be posting updates as we continue to resolve the issue. The game can be re-installed as soon as the issues have been corrected. We understand that the change in release timing may affect user experience, so as an alternative, we will also be presenting a refund option. Please access the following link to proceed with a refund: http ://bit. ly/ D5CPCRefund (remove spaces for use)

Below is a message from NIS America’s COO, Mitsuharu Hiraoka:

“We thank you all for the support we have been given while we have been working towards the release of Disgaea 5 Complete for PC, and we wish to show our gratitude by providing our fans with the best quality game on the PC platform. We hope that you continue to look forward to this release as we proceed to work tirelessly to correct this issue.”

We will update our community as we progress with fixing this issue.

Sincerely,
NIS America

Reinhardt

Arcane
I thought dlcs already included in game - that's the point of complete edition?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh well that's new, didn't realize. Apparently NISA just can't do anything at all.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
D5 demo contained full game, it has been pulled out already. Meanwhile people are playing with cheat engine to unlock each chapter.

deama

Prophet
So anyone got a tutorial on how to get the demo and "unlock" it?

flyingjohn

Arcane
I hope the new release date is the same date as dragon quest xi,it would be a very nisa thing to do.

deama

Prophet
Wait a second, why did they delay the release date? So the demo has been bypassed, then just remove the demo and release it on May 7th? What will pushing it to summer time do? Piss people off?

Naesaki

Novice
Oh NISA, first you screw up with YS VIII and now you're derping about with Disgaea 5.

NISA....NISA, never changes....

Really is par the course though, NISA screwing up in some way is just inevitable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom