Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Discworld Noir and Under A Killing Moon

MetalCraze

Arcane
worthy?

Fez

Erudite
Discworld Noir is worth playing, especially if you are a fan of the Discworld series. Not bad.

Truth

Scholar
Tex Murphy was the shit. Sadly, all I remember from Under a Killing Moon right now was some guy's head getting warped in your water cooler bottle early on and a cinematic of Tex emptying said bottle outside a window. Worth playing I suppose.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I already got it (Discworld Noir) though didn't install it yet. I just want something like a game stylized as noir detective story with in an unordinary setting for usual noir.
so I decided to look into both game as the first one is about noir detective guy in a fantasy world while the other one is about noir detective guy in a post-apoc san francisco

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Diskworld Noir was pretty good as far as I can remember. The Tex Murphy adventures are very good also, though they're a pain to get them run in winXP, at least pandora directive was. Anyway, get them both.

MetalCraze

Arcane
iirc UAKM is 1994 game or something. I doubt this will cause problems running the game in dosbox. the cd swapping could be pain in the ass though (using 4 cds in dosbox - wicked shit).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
if you can run run it with dosbox, you could just set a folder as your cd-rom and copy the contents of the cd's there, to save you the trouble of swapping disks. With newer games this may no work, but I've done this with Dig, Police Quest 4 and SWOS. successfully.

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Noir is excellent, I highly recommend it.

One common problem with it is that you cant load games, but there's a quite painless way to solve that: just start a new game and than load from the in-game menu, instead of from the main menu, if this problem comes up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
already figured it out. that isn't a problem. the only problem I have is CTD when trying to access options from the main menu.

I like the atmosphere of the game.
sarcastic noir-style remarks of Lewton, the noir-must-have femme fatale, constant night with rain and jazz. the voice-acting is good too. though some secondary characters could've used some better voice-actors.

@ghostdog: thanks, will try that.

visions

Arcane
I liked Noir when I played it but I got stuck somewhere and never finished it. I was younger and dumber then though.

Great atmosphere. Should try it again sometime in the future.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
MetalCraze said:
I already got it (Discworld Noir) though didn't install it yet. I just want something like a game stylized as noir detective story with in an unordinary setting for usual noir.

Grim Fandango.

Westwoods Blade Runner adventure game.

Discworld noir was ok too :thumbsup:

Avoid the tex murphy games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ulminati said:
Avoid the tex murphy games.
You have successfully removed Ulminati from your BRO list :x

Martian Memorandum and TPD are awesome. The others not as much, but none of them is bad, even though UKM is probably the weakest. Why the hate Ulminati?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
MetalCraze said:
sarcastic noir-style remarks of Lewton, the noir-must-have femme fatale, constant night with rain and jazz. the voice-acting is good too. though some secondary characters could've used some better voice-actors.

You don't say. Discworld Noir is the only Discworld game that has an appearance by Sam Vimes, and he sounds like a whiny little twat in it.

But then again, the original Discworld suffered from the same problem: Eric Idle voiced Rincewind, and about 2 voice actors voiced everybody else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom