Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, you found a Romanian street, probably near some coach station, and it's a ghetto. Btw, Warsaw and Krakow were both pretty clean when I last visited.

KevinV12000

Arcane
Boss, bad news.

What is it this time?

Marketing says that people keep misreading our AWESOME NAME as "No Truce with the FURRIES".

Seriously? Are people that dumb?

According to Marketing, yes, sir.

Okay, we'll change the name then.

Gotcha, sir. To what?

At this point, I don't give a damn, just make sure it's a better name.

(Two Weeks Later)

Boss, bad news.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Nah, that's not my pic, and the bag is fine. But if you want better, here:

maxresdefault.jpg

58a46ed125000034080b925e.jpeg

Looksl like some ghetto for rapefuges.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nah, that's not my pic, and the bag is fine. But if you want better, here:

maxresdefault.jpg

58a46ed125000034080b925e.jpeg

Looksl like some ghetto for rapefuges.
Looks like Berlin to me. Must say that it was the dirtiest city i have been to. I am not talking about some ghetto in it. There was some park near the berlin wall,it looked like garbage pit. I take it that the german cultural enrichment is going fine.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

norolim

Arcane
Ok, you found a Romanian street, probably near some coach station, and it's a ghetto. Btw, Warsaw and Krakow were both pretty clean when I last visited.
Polish cities are generally clean. Much cleaner than most Western European ones, which is frequently confirmed by surprised visitors. 25 years ago things were exactly the other way round. When I travelled to Germany, Austria* or France I was shocked how clean cities and roadside areas can be.

*I guess Austria is still pretty clean or at least it was when I last visited 4 years ago.

Looks like Berlin to me. Must say that it was the dirtiest city i have been to. I am not talking about some ghetto in it. There was some park near the berlin wall,it looked like garbage pit. I take it that the german cultural enrichment is going fine.

That's central Paris, actually. Avenue de Flandre if I'm not mistaken.

Master

Arbiter
Patologic is absurd theater but there's no Slavic shit in it. Where?

The developers boast of 1000 of history? Shit, will there be soil erosion too?

The conflict between personofications of rationality, wisdom, and faith seemed very Dostoevskian to me, to give one example.

Also, original title is Mor. Utopia = (Thomas) Moore, Utopia. That is about as obviously referential as you can get.
It was more Gogolian.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Kasparov - what games (other than the obvious) have you guys played the most of for inspiration - anything dating to the DOS era?

;)

EDIT: Also, does Rostov sell prints of his work? The"Strugatsky" sphere is so awesome :salute:
I've notified the man. You're not the first to ask for prints so something might go into the works at some point.

As for the games and as for direct quotes - you might recognise a hat tip to Tiny Echo ;) Interestingly enough I've been inspired by MUDs. MUME more specificly - the vivid descriptions and the mechanics that governed exploration have informed the way I think about game world or "levels".

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kasparov - what games (other than the obvious) have you guys played the most of for inspiration - anything dating to the DOS era?

;)

EDIT: Also, does Rostov sell prints of his work? The"Strugatsky" sphere is so awesome :salute:
I've notified the man. You're not the first to ask for prints so something might go into the works at some point.

As for the games and as for direct quotes - you might recognise a hat tip to Tiny Echo ;) Interestingly enough I've been inspired by MUDs. MUME more specificly - the vivid descriptions and the mechanics that governed exploration have informed the way I think about game world or "levels".

Did you ever play the Stormbringer MUD back in the day? Practically taught me to type.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I think I gave it a short run (and some others) but I was a Tolkien nerd through and through back then and MUME reigned me in every time. My vocabulary expanded during that period around three or four times.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think I gave it a short run (and some others) but I was a Tolkien nerd through and through back then and MUME reigned me in every time. My vocabulary expanded during that period around three or four times.

I have to cite Moorcock’s Epic Pooh whenever someone mentions Tolkien.

The Lord of the Rings is a pernicious confirmation of the values of a declining nation with a morally bankrupt class whose cowardly self-protection is primarily responsible for the problems England answered with the ruthless logic of Thatcherism. Humanity was derided and marginalised. Sentimentality became the acceptable subsitute. So few people seem to be able to tell the difference.

The Lord of the Rings is much more deep-rooted in its infantilism than a good many of the more obviously juvenile books it influenced. It is Winnie-the-Pooh posing as an epic. If the Shire is a suburban garden, Sauron and his henchmen are that old bourgeois bugaboo, the Mob - mindless football supporters throwing their beer-bottles over the fence the worst aspects of modern urban society represented as the whole by a fearful, backward-yearning class for whom "good taste" is synonymous with "restraint" (pastel colours, murmured protest) and "civilized" behaviour means "conventional behaviour in all circumstances". This is not to deny that courageous characters are found in The Lord of the Rings, or a willingness to fight Evil (never really defined), but somehow those courageous characters take on the aspect of retired colonels at last driven to write a letter to The Times and we are not sure - because Tolkien cannot really bring himself to get close to his proles and their satanic leaders - if Sauron and Co. are quite as evil as we're told. After all, anyone who hates hobbits can't be all bad.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
As a teenager I didn't see the world in these terms so it was never an issue. I was drawn to the literary form like a moth to a flame. The language, the fantasy, pure aesthetics.

Prime Junta

I went and looked at the original and the new cafeteria screenshots side by side. I thought it was gorgeous when I first saw it but they've taken it to the next level.

15491.jpg

hereyago.jpg

There's a ton of subtle detail in the new version that wasn't in the original, the floor and the countertop for example are pretty different. The aesthetic has shifted too, somewhat -- the new one is a lot more subdued and to my eye it suggests watercolour where the first version was more tempera or maybe acrylic. The lighting is subtler too.

I think it was a smart move to go with a 3D scene and a fixed camera. The Pillars pipeline with prerendered maps would make it really expensive to iterate on the art like this, whereas a free camera would make it impossible to paint in stuff like the shine on the countertop. This way it's possible to blend hand-painted and rendered lighting in a uniquely beautiful way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom