Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Just one thing bothering me about preordering, why not on GOG? Is this some silly Estonian-Polish rivalry?
I’m sure I’ve said somewhere even on this board, that we want to have it on GOG as well. Every platform means talks and talks = time. These are crazy times right now bc everything sort of has to happen simultaneously :lol:

Stay tuned for updates on that front, but in terms of timeframe think months not days.

Edit: As for preorders, defo not yet. There should be a demo out a few weeks ahead of official launch. Again - stay tuned.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Please. Conceptually this is a hundred times more ambitious than PS:T. Of course, it could fail--there are a million ways they could fuck this up. But based on the little we've seen so far, if ZA/UM can deliver on the execution, No Truce will DETHRONE Planescape: Torment.

Yes, that's a mighty big if.
A HUNDRED times more ambitious than PS:T? More like a MILLION times!!! You've heard of Wizardry? Might and Magic? Ultima? They're all dogshit compared to this. Trust me: they won't fuck this up! These modern day Leonardo da Vinci's have shown us the Mona Lisa, it's not like after getting all the praise they'd cart her in to a back room and chisel off her arms before releasing her!

I love Torment like other people love their family members, but it was not conceptually ambitious. It wasn’t trying to be. PS:T told an amazing story and inverted a bunch of tropes, it didn’t reinvent the genre. The Disco Elysium guys are trying to reinvent the genre (they say so themselves!). Skills that talk to you (holy shit, an RPG protagonist with an interior life!), equippable thoughts, a staggering amount of reactivity based on your build. They talk about writing games as literature for fuck’s sake. They are as ambitious as they are pretentious, so very, very ambitious.

I’m not saying that they’re going to succeed. They may fail spectacularly. But the ambition is there regardless.

But they are missing the over-the-top jRPG combat.... It was important for PS:T's success... at least for me :)
I'm one of those few weirdos who liked PS:T combat.

cRPG without regular combat? Sounds like blashpemy.
No, wait, sounds like an Adventure game.

Too bad I don't really like adventure games. Or adventure games pretending to be cRPGs, like VtM:B.

Well, the skill system is really rather impressive... so we shall see about that.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Well, the skill system is really rather impressive... so we shall see about that.

QYkd2OF.gif

Challenge accepted.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sounds like a legitimate concern after the T:ToN fiasco, although storyfags can always argue that T:ToN was bad because the story was bad, which is not really convincing to be honest. I hope that the game does well because it is trying to improve non-combat systems in cRPGs, but it will be a divisive game, and if the execution end up being poor, it will receive a lot of heat here on the Codex. Let's see if the love lasts the release.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Please. Conceptually this is a hundred times more ambitious than PS:T. Of course, it could fail--there are a million ways they could fuck this up. But based on the little we've seen so far, if ZA/UM can deliver on the execution, No Truce will DETHRONE Planescape: Torment.

Yes, that's a mighty big if.
A HUNDRED times more ambitious than PS:T? More like a MILLION times!!! You've heard of Wizardry? Might and Magic? Ultima? They're all dogshit compared to this. Trust me: they won't fuck this up! These modern day Leonardo da Vinci's have shown us the Mona Lisa, it's not like after getting all the praise they'd cart her in to a back room and chisel off her arms before releasing her!

I love Torment like other people love their family members, but it was not conceptually ambitious. It wasn’t trying to be. PS:T told an amazing story and inverted a bunch of tropes, it didn’t reinvent the genre. The Disco Elysium guys are trying to reinvent the genre (they say so themselves!). Skills that talk to you (holy shit, an RPG protagonist with an interior life!), equippable thoughts, a staggering amount of reactivity based on your build. They talk about writing games as literature for fuck’s sake. They are as ambitious as they are pretentious, so very, very ambitious.

I’m not saying that they’re going to succeed. They may fail spectacularly. But the ambition is there regardless.

But they are missing the over-the-top jRPG combat.... It was important for PS:T's success... at least for me :)
I'm one of those few weirdos who liked PS:T combat.

No, wait, sounds like an Adventure game.

Too bad I don't really like adventure games. Or adventure games pretending to be cRPGs, like VtM:B.

Calling PS:T combat jRPG (Disciples combat is jRPG like) had me go WTF.

Calling a game without classic combat an Adventure game had me go "Ok you can think so even if you are wrong."

But saying Bloodlines is an adventure game.. RAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
At one point some people also said PoE is REAL successor to BG and some people said WL2 is REAL successor to Fallout 1/2. And we know how that turned out..

False logic - you're comparing false and true comparison, first one when someone wastoo optimistic, and it's the last thing I can be blamed in.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Except people only noticed problems once both games released their beta versions, before that everyone still expected the impossible.

I don't know, how someone can not see what this game is if that's in every article and devblog update?
If you read these devblog posts, tou will see:

they are perceptive - they see things other don't
they are thinking - they think things important other don't care about
they are inventive - they don't scare to reinvent the wheel if they think this wheel too square

Dunno, I saw it immediately.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/disco-elysium/disco-elysium-detective-politics

Like it or not, Disco Elysium won't shy away from politics

Disco%20Elysium%20art.jpg

Disco Elysium is not a regular high-fantasy adventure. Rather than orcs and elves, you’ll be facing a very different kind of adversary in Disco Elysium. “I don't think there's anything special, surprising, or fantastic about a dragon's lair,” Mikk Metsniit says, who is the chief marketing officer and environment artist at developers Zaum Studio. “I mean I live in a dragon's lair right now,” he laughs, pointing around the Disco Elysium’s EGX Rezzed booth, which is currently crowded by a dozen intrigued players.

Set in the urban, paranormal world of Elysium, Zaum’s RPG is a detective story that offers a warped reflection of our own society. This means you’ll be coming face-to-face with foes plucked from sociology textbooks, rather than the works of Tolkien. “Some of them may be communists - these otherworldly creatures from the 20th century,” Metsniit says.

The people you’ll meet in the hardboiled town of Revachol West come from a variety of recognisable, real-word backgrounds and groups. “[You’ll be] talking to a weird fascist person who is telling you racist things,” Metsniit explains. “You can react to it. You can maybe even agree with it and become an unsavoury horrible bad person.”

Zaum are very aware that other developers have tried to distance themselves from real-world politics in past. “They shy away from it,” Metsniit says. “They're worried about what's going to happen. They want to explore these issues by covering themselves with the fig leaf of high fantasy - so [they’re] not talking about black people, [they’re] talking about elves. We don't have that fig leaf and I don't want that fig leaf either.”

Disco%20Elysium%20dock.jpg

Metsniit explains to me some of the scenarios you may face in Disco Elysium. They sound like Louis Theroux documentaries as retold by David Lynch. Elysium is full of characters from all over the political spectrum, and you are free to decide which line you walk. One situation requires you to break into a harbour, but the gates are guarded by a towering figure who has been terrifying the local striking dock workers.

“When you finally go talk to him you understand why they're afraid to go past him - not only is he giant, he's very black, and has very weird theories about race,” Metsniit explains. “He's basically what we call a Semanese supremacist. He wouldn't call himself a racist, he would call himself a race theorist. And if you internalise his philosophy he may let you in.”

Adopting such radical lines of thought is, as we know from the real world, an incredibly dangerous path to walk. But this is where one of Disco Elysium’s most fascinating mechanics come into play. Akin to the ‘mind palace’ of Sherlock Holmes, your detective has a ‘thought cabinet’, which is “a kind of inventory we have for thoughts,” Metsniit explains. “You go around and do other things and then it pops up ready and gives you the answer.”

While the thought cabinet will allow you to come to several important realisations on your journey, it can have lasting implications. Referring back to the Semanese guard, Metsniit explains that one way past him would be to use the results of the thought cabinet to go along with his race theory. “He will grant you passage for that, but you will never get that thought out of your head,” he says. “You have accepted his way of thinking.” It seems even choices confined to your own mind will have far-reaching consequences in Disco Elysium.

Disco%20Elysium%20cafe.jpg

Beyond the thought cabinet, there are several interesting reinventions of long-standing RPG mechanics. Gone are combat and charisma-focused skill categories, and in their place stand a variety of options inspired by police fiction. “We have visual calculus, which lets you reconstruct physical motions,” Metsniit reveals. “Ballistics and stuff. We also have conceptualisation, which lets you become this True-Detective-style, philosophical cop who has their own cultural analysis going on. Or [you can build] a Lynchian character who has weird visions, which turns out to be a crazy skill that allows you to talk to inanimate objects and pretend they're alive.”

Despite the Mulder and Scully feel of the paranormal Elysium setting, the game is anchored in the realities of police work. “We had to reimagine how combat is done, because as a cop you can't go around killing people all the time,” Metsniit says, referring to the fact that in most RPGs you slaughter enemies by the hundreds. “[Sometimes] you do have to take out your gun, and when you do it has to have way more heft and feel than in an RPG where you're a mass murderer. [As a cop] you get to kill people, but you really need to go through the scene. We built this set-piece, hand-animated combat system where you only go through two or three turns, they can go in all kinds of weird directions.”

After Divinity: Original Sin 2 released last year, it appeared that we’d finally found the one true direction for RPGs to head in. But with Disco Elysium, Zaum are proving that there’s far more to bring to the table than replicating the limitless creativity of Dungeons & Dragons sessions. With its unflinching approach to politics, bizzare Lynchian world, and thoughtful reapplication of RPG staples, it seems all but guaranteed that Disco Elysium will be 2018’s most fascinating adventure.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really hope this doesn't turn out to be a shallow series of dilemmas based off of first year social sciences textbooks "discussion topics". I'd be very disappointed.

frajaq

Erudite
Huh, that 3rd picture has a 3rd companion I haven't seen before

do we know anything about her? or even Kim for that matter

vota DC

Augur
Wait, I can play a multiplayer coop cop game? Would be funny. I am already playing divinity original sin 1 with my little brother and he is all time "uurgh me smash", he even killed merchants.

Other questions: I noticed stats in screens usually have a total of 8. That means if you choose the max that is 5 for one stat the other three will have just 1? In that case with only 1 stat if I focus on a single skill it can have a decent amount or a guy with 3 intellect that spread will have more logic than a guy with 1 intellect that focus on logic?

Prime Junta

do we know anything about her? or even Kim for that matter

I take it you mean the second picture? It's been mentioned that she's a temporary companion and is in a wheelchair (and the main reason she's temporary is that animating helping her up all the stairs in Martinaise would be too expensive). Not much else they've shared so far.

But can I play as a commie? I certainly can't recall any western game with a non-caricature communist character. So the fact that ZA/UM is only sorta kinda western (no offense, guys!) gives me some hope.

Other thank that – in Crooked Bee's time we would've seen Disco Elysium on the front page long time ago. :negative:

Prime Junta

But can I play as a commie? I certainly can't recall any western game with a non-caricature communist character. So the fact that ZA/UM is only sorta kinda western (no offense, guys!) gives me some hope.

You certainly can. In fact at least one of your skills is Communist (Rhetoric). And I think we can be pretty confident that it's not a caricature as the lead writer and most of the studio are, in fact, Communists, and have been since way before it was cool.

Prime Junta

In other news, we now know Marat Sar is a better writer than China Miéville, which makes him a hella good writer. He says so himself.

(As an aside, I agree with him about C&tC, and in fact Miéville in general is terrible at endings, his books just sort of devolve into a mumble and peter out. The start and the middle are usually great though, and Embassytown even had a decent ending.)

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
To be honest, all the political thoughts are parodies of themselves in Disco Elysium. The worldbuilding project itself is in many ways a parody of our world, albeit a rather serious parody. As the story progresses you may begin to think: could I be compensating for some personal issues with all this politicking? It's certainly out of place behavior for a cop... Or you may opt for denial and blast your ideology even louder. It's part of the personal storyline of the game, which I'll try not to spoil (Rest assured, it will be painful and familiar to almost all human beings.)

But -- are the ideologies handled so that they won't offend the sensitivities of traumatized men who have been called misogynists and racists by sycophantic liberals their whole lives? Certainly not. You *will* be offended. We've made it a point to offend liberals in equal measure, and communists above all, but from my life experience it's always the liberals and the right wingers who shit themselves the hardest, while communists just wink at their Stalin busts and laugh heartily.

I very much doubt this will be an exception.

You certainly can. In fact at least one of your skills is Communist (Rhetoric). And I think we can be pretty confident that it's not a caricature as the lead writer and most of the studio are, in fact, Communists, and have been since way before it was cool.

Rhetoric isn't a commie per se, he just has a bit of an american leftist bent. When you have, say, Revacholian Nationhood (the main right wing thought) Rhet can also start whispering right wing rhetoric in your ear. Just like it will take a bit of poking for Endurance to start grumbling its fash-agenda.

All and all -- do not expect political stuff to be the main course here. Only one fourth of the thoughts in your thought cabinet are political in nature. Political dialogue options show up at key moments, but not all the time. It's seasoning. Just not the kind you've tasted before in crpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom