Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Huh, they weren't kidding about that bit with inventing the future of dance music. :dance:

uDwE5ZI.jpg

Prime Junta

Some snippets of internal dialogue leaking. Spoilered in case there's anyone here who wants to hold on to their virginity a while longer.

Electrochemistry looks like bad news. Definitely maxing it for my first playthrough.

Last edited by a moderator:

lophiaspis

Arbiter

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So this is the REAL successor to PS:T.

Please. Conceptually this is a hundred times more ambitious than PS:T. Of course, it could fail--there are a million ways they could fuck this up. But based on the little we've seen so far, if ZA/UM can deliver on the execution, No Truce will DETHRONE Planescape: Torment.

Yes, that's a mighty big if.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So this is the REAL successor to PS:T.

:bounce:

I said it first (almost). And long ago! :nocountryforshitposters:
At one point some people also said PoE is REAL successor to BG and some people said WL2 is REAL successor to Fallout 1/2. And we know how that turned out..

Difference is, anyone could see those games were going to be mediocre early in the process.
Except people only noticed problems once both games released their beta versions, before that everyone still expected the impossible.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Retards, maybe. Anyone with brains could see it as soon as they put out the Hwrpa Dwrp map for PoE, and even earlier with the 'Design Document' (that read more like a bad 90s back of the box marketing blurb) for W2.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Please. Conceptually this is a hundred times more ambitious than PS:T. Of course, it could fail--there are a million ways they could fuck this up. But based on the little we've seen so far, if ZA/UM can deliver on the execution, No Truce will DETHRONE Planescape: Torment.

A HUNDRED times more ambitious than PS:T? More like a MILLION times!!! You've heard of Wizardry? Might and Magic? Ultima? They're all dogshit compared to this. Trust me: they won't fuck this up! These modern day Leonardo da Vinci's have shown us the Mona Lisa, it's not like after getting all the praise they'd cart her in to a back room and chisel off her arms before releasing her!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

A HUNDRED times more ambitious than PS:T? More like a MILLION times!!! You've heard of Wizardry? Might and Magic? Ultima? They're all dogshit compared to this. Trust me: they won't fuck this up! These modern day Leonardo da Vinci's have shown us the Mona Lisa, it's not like after getting all the praise they'd cart her in to a back room and chisel off her arms before releasing her!

I love Torment like other people love their family members, but it was not conceptually ambitious. It wasn’t trying to be. PS:T told an amazing story and inverted a bunch of tropes, it didn’t reinvent the genre. The Disco Elysium guys are trying to reinvent the genre (they say so themselves!). Skills that talk to you (holy shit, an RPG protagonist with an interior life!), equippable thoughts, a staggering amount of reactivity based on your build. They talk about writing games as literature for fuck’s sake. They are as ambitious as they are pretentious, so very, very ambitious.

I’m not saying that they’re going to succeed. They may fail spectacularly. But the ambition is there regardless.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just one thing bothering me about preordering, why not on GOG? Is this some silly Estonian-Polish rivalry?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom