Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
Wow, I gotta say, I'm picking up quite a lot of toxic masculinity here. Did insecurities with your own sexuality get in the way of noticing the most revolutionary character sheet in the history of RPGs? (Featured in the video for 3 whole seconds, at 0:44?)

Tsk-tsk-tsk.

Mustawd

Did insecurities with your own sexuality get in the way of noticing the most revolutionary character sheet in the history of RPGs? (Featured in the video for 3 whole seconds, at 0:44?)

No.

What an odd question.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
New title ain't bad, but I preferred the Furies. It reminds me of this video:

About the trailer: I agree on the narrator not being good at all. Also, why is there no disco music?
Still stoked about this, though.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, I gotta say, I'm picking up quite a lot of toxic masculinity here. Did insecurities with your own sexuality get in the way of noticing the most revolutionary character sheet in the history of RPGs? (Featured in the video for 3 whole seconds, at 0:44?)

Tsk-tsk-tsk.

Hey, I forgot all about my hatred for the new name when I watched the trailer as it was meant to be watched: obsessively pausing the video every few seconds whenever there was any text on the screen.

I don’t see why anyone’s bothered by the narrator. Presumably they just have bad taste. Maybe they haven’t obsessively read everything on the website yet.

But the METRIC sheet begs the question, what is Savoir-Faire? I say it’s when you walk in on your wife sleeping with your best friend and you tell them to carry on. That’s Savoir-Faire.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

Tsk-tsk-tsk.
I'll show you some fucking toxic masculinity.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
But the METRIC sheet begs the question, what is Savoir-Faire? I say it’s when you walk in on your wife sleeping with your best friend and you tell them to carry on. That’s Savoir-Faire.

Strangely enough it's a Motoric skill that makes you a generally stylish rogue type james bond han solo character, both physically and mentally. There's sneaking, light acrobatics and just plain old looking cool thrown in there, but also verbal cool and getting out of a sticky situation. I'd say: "cool nervous system" as a compliment to someone who has high SF. It's definitely one of the more esoteric skill concepts in the game.

One of the first things you can do with SF is slip out of a conversation when someone asks you to pay the bill. The failure has you run away, jump backward, flip two birds at him and scream "fuck you asshole" as you crash into... I won't spoil who or what. But it's not stylish to do so.

Long story short it means "style".

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Does no one know the what is savoir-faire joke? I was setting someone else up to deliver the punchline.

Here is one version:

The story is as follows. An American teacher travels to Paris and visits the French Academy, in order the learn the meaning of “savoir-faire.” The Academicians number forty called “les quarante immortels” (the forty immortals) because when on dies, he or she is replaced.

One académicien described savoir-faire by giving an example.

The First Académicien
A first Académicien attemps to help our American professor. He says “When a man, ‘e goes ‘ome and ‘e finds ‘is wife in bed wit’ another man, ‘e says: “Oh, pardon !” (Sorry!). Dat is savoir-faire.”

The Second Académicien
“Pas exactement” (not quite) said another académicien. Stroking his beard, he refined the example. “When a man, ‘e goes ‘ome and ‘e finds ‘is wife in bed wit’ another man, ‘e says: ” Oh, pardon, continuez ! “ (Sorry, carry on!) Dat is savoir-faire.

The Third Académicien
“Pas exactement” said a third académicien. Stroking his beard, he refined the example further. “When a man, ‘e goes ‘ome and ‘e finds ‘is wife in bed wit’ another man, ‘e says: “Oh, pardon, continuez ! “ (Sorry, carry on!)Now if de man in de bed, ‘e can continue, dat is savoir-faire.”

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of the first things you can do with SF is slip out of a conversation when someone asks you to pay the bill. The failure has you run away, jump backward, flip two birds at him and scream "fuck you asshole" as you crash into... I won't spoil who or what. But it's not stylish to do so.
Another example of why I'm so excited to build a character who fails as often as he succeeds.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Does no one know the what is savoir-faire joke? I was setting someone else up to deliver the punchline.

Here is one version:

The story is as follows. An American teacher travels to Paris and visits the French Academy, in order the learn the meaning of “savoir-faire.” The Academicians number forty called “les quarante immortels” (the forty immortals) because when on dies, he or she is replaced.

One académicien described savoir-faire by giving an example.

The First Académicien
A first Académicien attemps to help our American professor. He says “When a man, ‘e goes ‘ome and ‘e finds ‘is wife in bed wit’ another man, ‘e says: “Oh, pardon !” (Sorry!). Dat is savoir-faire.”

The Second Académicien
“Pas exactement” (not quite) said another académicien. Stroking his beard, he refined the example. “When a man, ‘e goes ‘ome and ‘e finds ‘is wife in bed wit’ another man, ‘e says: ” Oh, pardon, continuez ! “ (Sorry, carry on!) Dat is savoir-faire.

The Third Académicien
“Pas exactement” said a third académicien. Stroking his beard, he refined the example further. “When a man, ‘e goes ‘ome and ‘e finds ‘is wife in bed wit’ another man, ‘e says: “Oh, pardon, continuez ! “ (Sorry, carry on!)Now if de man in de bed, ‘e can continue, dat is savoir-faire.”
What?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
First, the translation: savoir-faire, literally know-how-to-do, implies knowing how to unravel oneself from a situation or life in general. Se débrouiller.

The explanation:
In the first proposition, the man that upon watching his wife cucking him, asks for forgiveness to the couple, is said to be the one with this know-how.
This gets corrected in the second, whereas the "carry on" is added as a mean to portray how a man of skills would actually play his cards.
The punchline is that in the third case the center of attention shifts: it's the man that after being found fucking an other's wife and being told to carry on, actually does it, that's got the moxie.

It's a shitty and pompous joke. We'd all be better off had it never been told, but there's my grain of sand anyways to dispel your confusion.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
The punchline is that in the third case the center of attention shifts: it's the man that after being found fucking an other's wife and being told to carry on, actually does it, that's got the moxie.

No, that's not it. If you can tell them to carry on so convincingly that your wife's boyfriend is able to stay, ah, firm of purpose, that's savoir-faire. The test is whether they believe you.

I don't see what's pompous about the joke--it's a notoriously difficult concept to translate into English: style, finesse, sauve(ness? sauvinity?), the ability to do/say the aesthetically right thing at the right time. I prefer the version about the american, the brit, and the frenchman:

An Englishman, an American and a Frenchman were discussing a good example of savoir-faire.
"Ok," said the Englishman, "if you came home and found your wife in bed with another man and you didn't kill him, that to me, is savoir-faire."
"Not quite, fellas," said the American. "If you came home and found your wife in bed with another man and you said, 'Please carry on', that's savoir-faire."
"Mais non," said the Frenchman. "If you came home and found your wife in bed with another man and you said, 'Please carry on', and he could, that's savoir-faire."

http://www.jokebuddha.com/joke/Savoir-Faire#ixzz59QEciW8Q

Anyway, I like how they're implementing it in No Truce, along with a skill for drug abuse and all sorts of other fun stuff. Marat Sar has delusions of grandeur, but he's right that METRIC looks like it has the potential to be the greatest character creation system ever devised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom