Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Pilgrimage

Esquilax

Arcane
Why not engage the hobos in combat in hopes of drawing out their hobo brethren, then toss the firebomb once they're out of the fortress?

:troll:

This option reminds me of playing Myth: The Fallen Lords and killing off entire armies with molotov wielding dwarves. Meh, I'd rather not pick 5) just yet - strikes me as a little lulzy, and I think the girl might serve as a decent guide. She's been around these people presumably for a while, so she might have learned the lay of the land from overhearing them. Our guy is good at picking herbs and plants, so I don't think we'll be too fucked for food sources even if we get her to tag along (we might just say "tough shit, you're on your own" after saving her, tho)

3. 2. How quick acting is the poison anyway - could be used on the blade? Firebombing would only serve to draw everyone alive (or not) to us. I could understand the risk if it is to save the woman, but it's not. So, what's the point? We will kill a couple of (probably low-level) monsters only to get the attention of all of their friends. We would be better off avoiding them completely.

Gondolin

Arcane
the girl might serve as a decent guide. She's been around these people presumably for a while, so she might have learned the lay of the land from overhearing them.

This is a root LP. If we save her, the girl will stab us in the back and eat our soul. If we don't, she will prove crucial to the plot and we will die a bad death later on.

Esquilax

Arcane
Heheh, you might be right, Gondolin.

for those of you who recognize the reference, the soundtrack for this update is somewhat more relevant than the others.

It is said that Maiden Astraea discovered the truth about God’s existence - or lack thereof - and thus explains why she accepted the Soul of a Demon in order to ease the troubled abandoned. Hers is ironically referred to as the most impure Soul. Yet still, Garl will never leave her side.

:troll:

Maybe these hideous swamp-dwellers were trying to execute an evil witch, and we're just going to set her free this way. I dunno, metagaming speculation is just kinda silly. I'm sure the choices are different enough, otherwise there wouldn't be five of them. In any case, I'm certain that there's more to her than just being a damsel in distress.

Gondolin

Arcane
it's not just a root LP, so i resent the implication of fake choice.

the girl's role has already been determined in any case.

I'm not implying just a fake choice, but also GRIMDARK choices which ever way we go. THERE ARE NO INNOCENT DAMSELS IN DISTRESS IN ROOT LPS!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Who's learning to be a hang(wo)man in the best tradition of her Papa's work.

Yeah, can we please leave that stuff to the W40k LPs? This setting might not be as grimdark as that.

OK, not even I believe that. For all we know, this is the W40k setting. But seriously, what is option 5 supposed to do? We kill these two in such an obvious way to get more of them on our back? And we haven’t saved the woman, and we have used some of our (very limited) supplies not doing so. Anything is better then that.

Boris

Educated
Queued
1. ruuuuuuuuuuuuun

Btw, I voted 3. before but it seems the garbos wont let me post.
When times are a cometh they will pay.

Monty

Arcane
As you pass through the town’s gates and the old oak, your eye is drawn to something you noticed before but ignored: the hanged men all have burns on the palms of their right hands.
Whenever a traveler comes by, he gets somebody to take their shit. Then, seeing as he's one of the town's head honchos, the options for said traveler are either to go on Issus' fucked up little errand or die. Anything a man does in the name of God cannot be wrong, so if they have to go insane to gather the Godsblood, that's perfectly fine.
Yes, a great racket which nailed us perfectly. And makes one wonder whether the hanged men were those who came back insane from the mountain or those who tried to break the oath.

I also don't get the point of option 5, apart from the lulz. We attract maximum amount of attention (when we've been trying to avoid it), use up all our supplies, and don't rescue anyone who could be of use to us as we burn everyone.

Unless we're just trying to create as evil a character as possible it's a ridiculous choice.

Voting 2.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
3. Although if possible we should ingest some herbs that will block out their foul stench before leaping to battle.

Baltika9

Arcane
I just can't see how choosing this
2) You have a blowdart in your belongings, though you were never very good with it. It’d take but a few drops of curare to paralyze both these creatures and save the woman. You can only hope you won’t waste the darts and bring their attention upon you, or hit the woman by accident.
over this
3) Engage these foul abominations in battle. They’ve barely any muscle or tendons beneath their skin and a soft breeze would blow them over. You’ve wrestled a bit in your youth and had to fight more than once for survival in the wilderness. Not a dab hand at it, but a knife and your arm behind it should be more than enough.
Is a good idea. The texts pretty much say which one we're better at. Besides, first we kick troglodyte ass and if the woman is a witch, we use her to distract their buddies, since she'd be heretic and all. If not, we just hightail it together.

Monty

Arcane
2) You have a blowdart in your belongings, though you were never very good with it. It’d take but a few drops of curare to paralyze both these creatures and save the woman. You can only hope you won’t waste the darts and bring their attention upon you, or hit the woman by accident.
over this
3) Engage these foul abominations in battle. They’ve barely any muscle or tendons beneath their skin and a soft breeze would blow them over. You’ve wrestled a bit in your youth and had to fight more than once for survival in the wilderness. Not a dab hand at it, but a knife and your arm behind it should be more than enough.
Is a good idea. The texts pretty much say which one we're better at. Besides, first we kick troglodyte ass and if the woman is a witch, we use her to distract their buddies, since she'd be heretic and all. If not, we just hightail it together.
True, if you are willing to entirely trust the description. The 'abominations' look weak, does that guarantee they are weak?

And if the darts fail and we attract their attention, then we have to take them on with the knife anyway. Might as well give the darts a go.

Baltika9

Arcane
...or we kill the one we're trying to save, or they call for backup. Personally, I'd rather take "have some skill" over "don't know what you'er doing."
As for the "never killed before," no time like the present, so might as well start preparing with the low-level degenerates for the trials that will come ahead.

I don't think we've played a paladin/priest character yet, so fighting/burning them is the right place to go here for that.

ScubaV

Prophet
A quibble: I found the jumping between first and second person perspective kind of jarring, but otherwise a very atmospheric update.

Let me see if I can guess the consequences:
1) We stumble through the deeper swampwater and fall on a spineback toad. Ruptured spleen!
2) We miss with the darts and attract their attention. In a panic we accidentally poke ourselves with the curare. Paralyzed!
3) The abominations are deceptively strong and we struggle to kill them. Broken arm!
4) They are too far gone for diplomacy. We spend the next 3000 years being tortured (oh wait, wrong LP). Bad stuff!
5) We ignite the abominations and the woman who held plot-critical information. Every beast in a 5 mile radius is attracted. Chase scene!

:smug:

Seriously though, I'll vote 2. 5 seems needlessly wasteful and a big risk for attracting unwanted attention. 3 seems like a better choice than 2 for this update, but I like the potential character-building ramifications of 2 more than 3.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
over this
The choices we make right now are defining our character. Going with the blowgun hopefully means it will be more effective in the future.

Rumsfeld

Scholar
2 : If we were in the middle of nowhere I might consider the 'love the smell of napalm in the morning' option, if that was the way we wanted to develop our character. But we're right next to a fortress, whose attention we're trying avoid. And we're seriously contemplating a molotov cocktail?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom