Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Pilgrimage

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And then, rocks fall, everyone dies. The end.

oscar

Arcane
Woo the one I had as lowest preference. I must be getting good at interpreting root.

Internet

Scholar
I'm getting a bit of an "Apocalypse Now" vibe from this situation...I guess working with Lord Kurtz and his troglodytes could be interesting...

seems you're the only one :(

People have been exposed to too much over-the-top grimdarkness over the years and can't recognize genuinely fucked-up situations anymore. They end up beaten and imprisoned by a weirdo that rules over a bunch of savages with a demented chick and their reaction is: "Cool, maybe we can work our way up from here and lead troglodytekind to greatness!".

Monty

Arcane
I'm getting a bit of an "Apocalypse Now" vibe from this situation...I guess working with Lord Kurtz and his troglodytes could be interesting...

seems you're the only one :(

People have been exposed to too much over-the-top grimdarkness over the years and can't recognize genuinely fucked-up situations anymore. They end up beaten and imprisoned by a weirdo that rules over a bunch of savages with a demented chick and their reaction is: "Cool, maybe we can work our way up from here and lead troglodytekind to greatness!".
Or maybe the reaction is 'we're in a cage, possibly not the best time to try to kill our captor or try a heroic escape. Let's bide our time, learn more about him, see if he really will heal our disease... and wait for a more opportune time to make a move'.

I like the Apocalypse Now analogy though.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
no. I always wanted to have a go at writing an evil protagonist.

And I wouldn't mind playing an evil protagonist, as long as it was done properly. Too much evil derp can kill the mood quickly, but with proper motivations, who wouldn't want to play a smug bastard whose only interest is more power/knowledge for himself?

The start is already there. He was screwed over by some lowlife who stole his goods, then Issus fools him into a suicide mission, and now BLOBERT here is mocking him while offering a shady deal on the side. I can see plenty of motivation here to build power and then exact petty vengeance. :smug:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm all for playing as an evil character, just not the Biowarian "More of a needlessly dickish dark and edgy asshole than a villain" kind. May as well just roll with becoming the potato king's apprentice now, I guess.

Rex Feral

Prophet
And if we just got up and left we would have been raped by a minotaur, no ?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Precisely.

Ever since a simple mission of clearing out the Black Holds turned out into a daemon-fest with Chaos Space Marines, root is officialy suspect of indulging in excessive grimdarkery.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Well losing an eye is not really that good. How would you rate our choice ? Marginal success, crtical failure, etc ?

You have a better perspective than us, and understand our choices better in the long run.

Precisely.

Ever since a simple mission of clearing out the Black Holds turned out into a daemon-fest with Chaos Space Marines, root is officialy suspect of indulging in excessive grimdarkery.

I rather recall that.:love:

Though I didn't quite get what ultimately happened to Cassius. After the exorcism.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Ah, don't worry, both of those stories, although flawed from a certain point of view, were truly original and intriguing. Taking the less obvious or sensible path, making a wrong turn here and there, fucking up horribly from time to time only adds to the dramatism and suspense of the story. It takes you through various and diverse emotional states which, in my opinion, is exactly what a story should do. And well I have faith in both of you that even if we fuck up again, we will do it in the most heart wrecking way possible.
:love:

As for the character. I want to see a story from a sympathetic villain's point of view. Like an anti-villain.

And I'll vote consistently.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
I really liked all the Warhammer LPs! Few things are perfect, but I, for example, loved Baldurs Gate 2.

I think our choice was okay, so we tried to be clever with a more primal sort of godling. In the end we got a presumably beefed up 'blackfire' power(we haven't really used the old fire or the current one yet) with probably some special new abilities, along with some sort of weird arm curse blight thing? Perhaps the arm blight causes the blackfire?

In terms of villainy or heroism, I don't think our character's motivations are well established. He is an herbalist's son and he completed the sacred coming of age task he had to do, I guess. Though it seems unclear how old he is and how long he has been on the journey, or if he has a village to return to. Somehow he has a special sword from the Ashguard - Witcher-like faction who seem like a knightly order from before whatever Armageddon is going on or already happened. We helped the priest (Issus?) but we were sort of reluctant, either because we didn't trust him or because we didn't want to go out of our way. I don't totally get the setting or our character's past, but I'm sure much will be revealed in time.

Anyway, I'm interested. MOAR, please.

Rex Feral

Prophet
yeah, well, then either of the three choices could work for you, really. the first choice was certainly the most villainous since you were essentially killing something without reason to do so; that is, you were not scared for your life or for somebody else's or nothing like that. you hoped that a live sacrifice would give you power. in a way, it did. the power the statue deemed you deserved.

the other two were more faith choices...which i trust most? the old church, the old myths, or the new enlightened church?

any three of the choices could have lead to you becoming an anti-villain. the first one certainly speeds up the process tho

Actually, I was under the impression that the foul creature tried to kill us and that we sacrificed it for power only because we hated it's guts. Anyone foolish enough to attack us deserves not one but a thousand deaths.
As for the other two options, sacrificing our eye seems like an irreversible choice. And for so little power. Let's leave that for later.
While leaving the shrine without doing anything would have made the journey there irrelevant and would have made us look insecure.

Rex Feral

Prophet
All in all, I believe we did the best, even though violent and evil, choice. We are not fanatics or zealots bending over for one church or another. And sacrificing our own eye for power, even if it was the right choice, was too much a gamble for my liking.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
All in all, I believe we did the best, even though violent and evil, choice. We are not fanatics or zealots bending over for one church or another. And sacrificing our own eye for power, even if it was the right choice, was too much a gamble for my liking.
Yeah, I would think that a mage would need depth perception for ranged attacks, right? Or even for melee, two eyes are useful in a fight at any range.

Rex Feral

Prophet
It's not about that eye, or it's usefulness, it's about the idea in whole.

In sacrificing parts of ourselves, do we become more than human ? Or less than so ?

Although I get the idea that by not sacrificing our body we are sacrificing our soul, our moral guidelines, our humane side. And in so we are becoming even more the monster we are trying to avoid.

oscar

Arcane
That's sort of the problem. Some people want to make us a DEVOUR SOUL monster, some people want to go for pragmatic "whatever it takes to survive" decisions, some vote for whatever seems lulziest while others want to steer us to the light and heroic and it all leads to schizophrenic choice making with no long-term planning or real thought about the risks and rewards of decisions.

Baltika9

Arcane
That pretty much sums up every LP we played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom