Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Digimon World, good or bad?

Zorgfin

AndhairaMCMXCVI
I like the Digimon universe, since I used to watch the show a lot as a kid, but I want to know if the actual games are good or not.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
The show was a pretty neat event for Saturday mornings as a kid, true, but my experiences with the games has been underwhelming. There was this PSX game where you could pick either the pre-rookie form of Augumon or Gururumon and spend some game -days training them at a "gym," feeding them, taking them to the bathroom, and fighting other low-level mons in order to try and get them to digivolve into something that doesn't suck (like somehow getting one of those green slugs instead of Augumon..... somehow skipping rookie form to get a horrible -stated champion that it shouldn't be able to become...). However, I did play this a lot (never getting everything far because my mon often died if I got in too deep, but I can't remember if I could just reload or not) so maybe some fun was in this odd take on Digimon after all.

Then there's this Digimon Championship (?) for DS that all my younger siblings were really addicted to. I think it concentrated on sim and maybe RTS elements (I remember something about moving on hexigons).

Sorry, if this doesn't help, but it sure has been nice to remember fondly this childhood show.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Digimon World 1 - Most unique of them, you chose a baby digimon and train/digivolve him to various forms, to lame sukamons to glorious metalmamemon or skullgreymon's. Hard as fuck, digimons dying of old can become a bt frustrating, but it's a solid game with nice world & exploration.

digimon-world+cenario.png
54787809.jpg

Digimon World 2 - Aweird game, the combat is jRPG's 3vs3, but the exploration became a very tiring tunnel drilling & dungeon crawling stuff, that gets boring REALLY fast... Avoid this one.

DigimonWorld2Screenshot86.png
Digimon_World_2_Walkthrough_Part_7_You_Slimeball_.jpg

Digimon World 3 - A full-fledged jRPG, train you group of 3 digimons, travel the world, do quests, etc... definetly the best Digimon game.

digimon+world+3+cidade+2.jpg
Beelzemon3.png

I spend like WEEKS as a kid trying to get Beelzebulmon on my team, and was tottaly worth it. :D

Digimon World 4 - Retarded beat'em'up, really bad and boring, avoid at all costs.

digimon1.jpg

DS Games - They copy the DW3 model, but are waaaaaay weaker, I never managed to play much of them...

digimonds_inline_1164241568.jpg

There is one PS2 game and a new DS one that I've never tried, but they are full of popamole new-digimon generation shit, didn't excite me enough to download... Also, Digimon Digital Card Battle (PSX) is suprisingly solid.

TL;DR: Try DW 1 & 3, 1 is harder & more action oriented, while 3 is more a classical jRPG.

lightbane

Arcane
The DS games aren't that bad, the problem is that they're grindy. A LOT. You pretty much need a few cheats and/or codes to speed up the xp gaining and to decrease the encounter rate, otherwise you'll go crazy. However, you can obtain nearly any digimon you want, it uses a system reminiscent of Shin Megami that allows you to evolve, devolve and fuse your monsters to receive new ones.

Also, Digimon World 1 received a remake for the PSP.

Ermm

Erudite
The games are somewhat undeservingly panned for some reason. Digimons 2 has advantage that you can catch any digimon and train it. Exploration could've used a bit more variety, but it was kinda ok for me.

Don't know about the original.

Digimon World 3 is a good one also, it's flaw is that you can't catch digimons, and you have to play with the same 3 digimons. Also, it has cool card battle side activity. Remember those?

Digimons Card Battle was also pretty neat.

Zorgfin

AndhairaMCMXCVI
Digimon World 1 - Most unique of them, you chose a baby digimon and train/digivolve him to various forms, to lame sukamons to glorious metalmamemon or skullgreymon's. Hard as fuck, digimons dying of old can become a bt frustrating, but it's a solid game with nice world & exploration.

digimon-world+cenario.png
54787809.jpg

Digimon World 2 - Aweird game, the combat is jRPG's 3vs3, but the exploration became a very tiring tunnel drilling & dungeon crawling stuff, that gets boring REALLY fast... Avoid this one.

DigimonWorld2Screenshot86.png
Digimon_World_2_Walkthrough_Part_7_You_Slimeball_.jpg

Digimon World 3 - A full-fledged jRPG, train you group of 3 digimons, travel the world, do quests, etc... definetly the best Digimon game.

digimon+world+3+cidade+2.jpg
Beelzemon3.png

I spend like WEEKS as a kid trying to get Beelzebulmon on my team, and was tottaly worth it. :D

Digimon World 4 - Retarded beat'em'up, really bad and boring, avoid at all costs.

digimon1.jpg

DS Games - They copy the DW3 model, but are waaaaaay weaker, I never managed to play much of them...

digimonds_inline_1164241568.jpg

There is one PS2 game and a new DS one that I've never tried, but they are full of popamole new-digimon generation shit, didn't excite me enough to download... Also, Digimon Digital Card Battle (PSX) is suprisingly solid.

TL;DR: Try DW 1 & 3, 1 is harder & more action oriented, while 3 is more a classical jRPG.
Judging by felipepepe's description of them, I'd probably take Digimon World 3 as my safest bet. Since the first one looks like a farm raising game, where you raise digimons and stuff and the second looks like a dungeon crawler, the third one is the only one which looked like an actual RPG. I remember my also how my big brother used to be such a huge Digimon fan and he bought all the Digimon games and played through all of them at once, with me sitting next to him and watching him play as a little kid, but our Playstation soon broke down due to playing it too much. I also played the DS games and I remeber having fun with them, but yes, like it was said, they require a lot of grinding.

The show was a pretty neat event for Saturday mornings as a kid, true, but my experiences with the games has been underwhelming. There was this PSX game where you could pick either the pre-rookie form of Augumon or Gururumon and spend some game -days training them at a "gym," feeding them, taking them to the bathroom, and fighting other low-level mons in order to try and get them to digivolve into something that doesn't suck (like somehow getting one of those green slugs instead of Augumon..... somehow skipping rookie form to get a horrible -stated champion that it shouldn't be able to become...). However, I did play this a lot (never getting everything far because my mon often died if I got in too deep, but I can't remember if I could just reload or not) so maybe some fun was in this odd take on Digimon after all.

Then there's this Digimon Championship (?) for DS that all my younger siblings were really addicted to. I think it concentrated on sim and maybe RTS elements (I remember something about moving on hexigons).

Sorry, if this doesn't help, but it sure has been nice to remember fondly this childhood show.
I'm glad that I made you feel warmth in your heart, because it returns back warmth to my heart as well.

I'm trying to think of something to say about DW 1, but all I remember is dragging Agumon through a forest so he can take a shit. If you can't do it, he eventually turns into a piece of shit. This is not an expression.

Digimon World Data Squad (basically the "real" DW4, the actual DW4 is a Diablo clone) looks like it could be decent, but it's so S L O W . T H E R E S A L O A D I N G S C R E E N F O R E V E R Y T H I N G .

DW3's NTSC version is also quite slow, for some reason. If anyone wants to play it, grab the PAL edition (which is called Digimon World 2003, because Europe)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, it has cool card battle side activity. Remember those?
Those were cool, but I REALLY enjoyed playing "curling" against the penguins on DW1. :P

Zorgfin said:
I'm glad that I made you feel warmth in your heart, because it returns back warmth to my heart as well.
Same here. :)

lightbane said:
Also, Digimon World 1 received a remake for the PSP.
Hum, will look into it, but it seems they didn't change the combat system... it was ok for the time, but looking at the PSP videos it just looks retarded now, massive digimons dancing around a small space until they decide to attack, in a really slow & lame RTwP system...

Also, that starting shot in the trailer was mean, I did the exact same bicycle ride from Tokyo Sky Tree with a (female) friend there... I miss those times... :(

damicore

Augur
I could only play DW1 as a kid, and would play it again out of nostalgia but that's pretty much it.
I would avoid them like the plague.

I would however be really willing to give the PSP "reimagining" of DW1 a spin though. Just for the sake of nostalgia.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Digimon World 3 is a good one also, it's flaw is that you can't catch digimons, and you have to play with the same 3 digimons.
you can kind of catch new ones for the party, there are also some evolutions that count as new digimons

but our Playstation soon broke down due to playing it too much.
:hmmm:

Zorgfin

AndhairaMCMXCVI

sorrowofwind

Novice
Personally I think 3 was extremely boring, didn't play 2. The first game felt more interesting but as others said, it was too hard at times and can be unforgiving.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
this shit was way cooler than pokemon
Yup, the guys nailed awesome mentality:
- Gentleman, we need a product to beat Pokemon. How we make a monster cooler than Charizard?
- Give them weapons!
- And metal plating!
- And wings!
- And missles!
- And obvious myths references!*
- And let's make them slightly grimdark, so everyone will see this is not stuff for kids around 8 years old, but for MAN (around 10 years old)!
:yeah:

*funny to see how Digimon had better enemy design & mythos usage than most MATURE AAA games...

lightbane

Arcane
Slightly grimdark?? :lol:
Much more than that, especially the shows. The 1st season had like 60% of the supporting cast dying, the 3rd one same AND there was a literal man-eating, digital eldritch horror. Plus the original manga wasn't much better.
However, the games are somewhat lighter (depends of which one).

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
one thing I remember about the animes was that in one of them one of the children was a psychopath that abused cats because he had something in his neck or some shit...

also, later on they had something of a obsession with showing nude/semi-naked children, fucking japs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They were grimdark ideas & themes, but the execution was always very harmless... I remeber that Agumon turned into SkullGreymon due being heavily forced to eat and train to become stronger, and that's very heavy to think of, but watching the episode again, it was downplayed into "some kind of indigestion, haha, never do that again bro, lol" ... also, too much Shonen's nakama cliches.

And then there's shit like that Pinocchiomon manchild playing "hide-and-seek" with that little kid, with an actual revolver, and shooting two of his subordinates in the fucking face when they lie about the kid's hiding place (they didn't lie, he just got away). The mood was all over the place.

Oh, and there's this guy too.

picture hosting

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
nakama cliche?
You know, that awkward japanese FRIENDSHIP... how they keep constantly talking about how they are bros and must work together and BFF and whatever... at least as a BR it always sounded retarded, I've been more friendly to people I've talked while waiting in lines than those kids are after 2 seasons of life changing experiences...

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
That's the key to understanding Japanese people.
From what I've gathered interacting with some of them in a hostel for 4 months it can be safely simplified as such: the closer you are the more formal they become, UNLESS something that I cannot yet fathom makes them understand that you TRULY mean what you say and is not just being said for the sake of conversation.

Then trying to know what is wrong with a friend of yours that got screwed by his boss about payment it took several beers 1 box of fries (big) and 4 hours.

Technically the Nakama is more of a "companion" thing. You might not really be friends, but you are bros. But for westerners the concepts are more or less interchangeable so it results in weird power of friendship speeches.

- WHY ARE YOU HELPING ME

- BECAUSE WE ARE BROS

- WTF NO WE HATE EACH OTHER

- YEAH BUT WE ARE BROS MAN

- :eek: BRO :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom