Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did you travel the whole world in Arcanum?

ColCol

Arcane
I always felt that due the locals visited (desert, Jungle, etc.) and the fact that the next game was called "Journey to the center" that the player character in Arcanum traveled across the entire world. Anyone know if this is the case?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I loved it when I first got to the world map and I ended up in a temple full of demons that were max level. I laughed at my own helplessness.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Once or twice, both cases never reached finale, that was for different playthrough.
Just find the way to cross mountains (Hardin Passage or something like that, just avoid gorillas, then run and run and run run run run until map icon turn blue, congratulations, now you can find smurf village and elf tree kingdom full of assholes).

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Actually, one of the things that kind of bugged me was that Arcanum had fairly few locations that were well defined and worked out despite the vastness of the super continent.

You really encountered only one barbarian tribe, sons of kree I think, and absolutely no Orc tribes or Ogre tribes of any sort.

That lack of depth made the world feel a bit empty at times, which I found to be a trifle disappointing. But that was a disappointment that was more in the long run for me.

I would have loved to see, with the serpent people for instance, some sort of remnant of their temples and shrines to foul gods that were more like monsters than true gods.

The age of legends was wondrous and monstrous after all. With ancient wars and false gods as well as real ones such as Velorien the All Father.

I would have also enjoyed random encounters when taking the train, of train robberies. Or pirates when taking ships. Or some sort of sea monster.

There's a lot to be said about what could be added to Arcanum and what's missing in the game world.

Drog Black Tooth

Think you could do anything of the sort?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Arcanum's world is incredibly empty and oversized. I remember one quest that had me traveling to a farm "just outside" Tarant. It took me two weeks to get there. It seems like the devs were still in the mindset of Fallout where the world is in fact desolate with wast stretches of wilderness between points of interest.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Arcanum's world is incredibly empty and oversized. I remember one quest that had me traveling to a farm "just outside" Tarant. It took me two weeks to get there. It seems like the devs were still in the mindset of Fallout where the world is in fact desolate with wast stretches of wilderness between points of interest.
This. This is a major issue with Arcanum. Even in the midst of the industrial revolution, the countryside had a big population of farms and such.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
This. This is a major issue with Arcanum. Even in the midst of the industrial revolution, the countryside had a big population of farms and such.

I agree with all of this, as this bugged me too. The land was HUGE but the you'd almost never randomly run into a location. Think Fallout 1. You move across the world and if you went through the right square, the village or whatever would show up, and you stopped over. But you didn't have to be explicitly on that pixel to have your discovery register. So as someone who has finished Arcanum and had multiple other starts, I barely discovered anything. In probably over 80 hours on this, I think I discovered 2 altars. Felt like a waste of content.

Think one thing someone could do if they modded this game would be to simply make the undiscovered locations register on your map at a greater distance, rather than make the map smaller. On the other hand, who knows. Maybe discovering the Elf Cemetery before given the Quest to steal the tombstone might break the damn game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom