Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Diary Of A (Mad?) Man - A Codexian Nightmare. (DREAMWEB) - COMPLETED

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
===============================================================
CONTENTS

TITLE.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
< 00 > - < 'DEX, ITZ AND VIDEOTAPES >

COMIC01.jpg

COMIC02.jpg

Front_Cover.jpg

diarypage-01+copy.jpg

KC.png
Sounds like your average psycho... Hmm, what's this ?

Kingcomrade glances at the second item from the package that contained the diary:

tape.jpg

KC.png
A... VHS tape ?!!

VHS players are obsolete today, but as luck would have it Dark Underlord keeps one in his private chambers. He uses it to watch tapes from the old, glorious days, when everything made sense and multiheaded dicks roamed the land. It seems that DU is busy dealing with a server load problem, so KC slips easily by him and enters the basement, where his boss is currently dwelling...

KC.png
Ok, let's see what this is all about...

scummvm00001.jpg

scummvm00003.jpg

"A dwelling of pure thought shaping our futures..."

scummvm00005.jpg

"Watched over by servants..."

scummvm00008.jpg

"For centuries the Dreamweb has been stable, but now evil is about to take control..."

scummvm00015.jpg

"The seven evil powers on Earth are joining forces"

scummvm00017.jpg

otherKeeper.png
Who will be the deliverer ?

TheKeeper.png
SILENCE ! The chosen ones are becoming aware.If they discover their powers they will become too strong !

otherKeeper.png
Has the seed been planted ?

TheKeeper.png
Yes. It has grown strong and he is stirring. The time has come and I shall awaken him.

scummvm00027.jpg

scummvm00029.jpg

scummvm00032.jpg

KC watches mesmerized as the blue orb of light enters the well and...

scummvm00036.jpg

scummvm00037.jpg

...exits through a microwave ?!

scummvm00044.jpg

Further proof that microwaves are infernal machines.

scummvm00048.jpg

scummvm00054.jpg

What comes next is beyond his wildest dreams...

scummvm00056.jpg

scummvm00062.jpg

scummvm00063.jpg

scummvm00069.jpg

ryan.png
This wasteland... so bland, so inane... NO, IT CAN'T BE !

TheKeeper.png
Yes, my brother. Fallout 3. Just one of the horrors the future holds. ITZ coming.

ryan.png
I know what you want from me. I think I understand now.

TheKeeper.png
The seven are becoming stronger.

scummvm00073.jpg

TheKeeper.png
I know. They control the seven points of the Dreamweb.

ryan.png
Must they be destroyed ?

TheKeeper.png
Yes.

ryan.png
I can feel they are all close to me. Who will be the first ?

scummvm00079.jpg

TheKeeper.png
He is the weakest of the seven.

ryan.png
How will I find him ?

TheKeeper.png
He is very near. Arm yourself and begin your search.

scummvm00083.jpg

Time...

...is...

...running...

...short.

scummvm00090.jpg

TITLE.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
< 01 > - < I WEAR SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT >

diarypage-02+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

I wake up feverish. The details of my nightmare begin to fade away, and all that remains is a feeling of impending dread and an urge to act... to act upon impulses I don't trust, or like.

scummvm00093.jpg

Trying to get my bearings I look around. I realize I'm in my girlfriend's place.

scummvm00095.jpg

Eden lies in bed with her eyes half closed and the covers pulled tightly around her. Her dark hair spills out over the pillow. She has a slight frown on her face. As I bring my hand over her cheek, she opens her eyes slightly and gives me a smile. Concern shows in her eyes.

scummvm00110.jpg

eden.png
You feel so hot, your skin is soaking wet. You were dreaming again last night and it scares me when you shout out so loud.

ryan.png
I thought the dreams had gone away, but last night was worse than ever and I don't think it's just bad dreams.

eden.png
What do you mean, not just dreams?

ryan.png
It all seems so real and so vivid. My mind is telling me to do things that I don't want to do.

scummvm00118.jpg

ryan.png
I'll be OK. I just need to sort some things out in my mind.

eden.png
Look, it's late, you'd better get to work or Sparky will be mad with you. We'll talk more when you get back.

ryan.png
Alright, but you will be here when I get back won't you?

eden.png
Of course I will, I'll always be here for you. Now hurry up, you don't want to be any later than you already are...

As I get up, I glance upon the bedside table :

scummvm00129.jpg

The title is "Mortal Mask" by Stephen Marley, author of "Dreamweb". Never heard of him.

I really need a smoke.

scummvm00159.jpg

scummvm00161.jpg

I grab one from the pack and indulge my vice:

scummvm00166.jpg

scummvm00167.jpg

On the desk I find my wallet. It holds my cashcard, a picture of Eden and a note.

scummvm00171.jpg

I check to see if any money have magically appeared in my account :

scummvm00180.jpg

No surprises here.

I grab the small photo between my fingers. It's torn from a strip of prints from a passport photo booth. The picture shows Eden with her face lit up far too brightly by the flash. A message on the back says "Love Eden".

ryan.png
Yeah, love you too, baby.

The other item is a crumpled piece of paper that has barely legible door lock numbers that belong to people I don't even know any more. That includes myself :

scummvm00187.jpg

So this is what it has come to, I don't even trust me to remember my own door code.
Well, at least I should be able to keep track of time. I remove the watch from my pocket and slip it over my wrist.

scummvm00174.jpg

scummvm00199.jpg

10:20. I'm really late. But, goddammit, I fell like a house has just walked over me.

scummvm00298.jpg

By sheer force of will I manage to reach Eden's living room.

scummvm00222.jpg

Maybe eating some breakfast will make me less sluggish.

scummvm00227.jpg

There's milk, orange juice and a cheese dish inside the fridge. I drink some juice and decide to heat the cheese in the microwave oven :

scummvm00247.jpg

ryan.png
Huh ? What's this ?

Inside the oven I spot an old key. How the hell did it end in here ?

scummvm00251.jpg

The intricate carvings fascinate me and I decide to hold on to it.
On a table opposite to the kitchen, sits Eden's Interface :

scummvm00263.jpg

It's the Network interface that we use to connect to cyberspace. There is the usual slot for a cartridge and a large number of connectors at the back. A red cartridge catches my attention.

scummvm00268.jpg

Interplay huh ? One of Eve's clients, I suppose. Something about that name raises an alarm in a dark corner of my mind. Despite my better judgment I decide to keep the cartridge.

scummvm00271.jpg

Eden's Bathroom is clean like always. When I look at the mirror, a spotty fellow looks back at me...

scummvm00273.jpg

I don't have time for a bath, so I'll have to settle for the next best thing:

scummvm00303.jpg

scummvm00305.jpg

Great. Now I'm all set. Something tells me it would be a good idea not to carry excess items, my inventory is limited after all. I place Eden's photo and the list back on the desk and get ready to leave.

scummvm00326.jpg

Wait, have I forgotten something ?

scummvm00331.jpg

scummvm00332.jpg

:yeah:

Eden's apartment connects directly to a lift that brings you straight into the garage.

scummvm00335.jpg

scummvm00341.jpg

She has obviously had some car trouble and she's been repairing it herself. The repairs aren't finished and the car stands here with the bonnet open. Hmm, maybe I could help her...

scummvm00365.jpg

scummvm00371.jpg

Right. Sometimes I wonder why on earth she's with me. Must be my optimistic demeanor...

I decide to prove to her --and the world-- that I'm good at fixing things. I grab a nearby screwdriver and a wrench for future practice. The thought that she might need those tools to fix her car, never crosses my mind.

scummvm00377.jpg

Outside it's raining as usual and heavy smog covers the air. This city hasn't seen proper sunlight in years...

scummvm00384.jpg

This used to be an industrial area. All the buildings are ugly, blocky and metallic. Eden's place is not an exception.

scummvm00385.jpg

I'm already quite late, so a little more won't hurt. Next stop, my flat:

scummvm00393.jpg

scummvm00396.jpg

The lobby shows years of neglect. The floor tiles are broken in places, fittings hang off the walls and the air conditioning clanks and rumbles with age. In the distance I hear a faint drip of water.

ryan.png
Home, sweet, home.

scummvm00428.jpg

scummvm00430.jpg

My mind isn't so fried that I can't remember my own door code. I punch in 5106 and enter.

scummvm00438.jpg

My bedroom is a complete mess and is populated by an odd assortment of furniture. The wooden floorboards are scuffed and dusty and the bed is unmade. My vintage CD player sits next to the door. I realize I need to hear some music.

scummvm00441.jpg

Hell yeah, I love this ancient album.

scummvm00448.jpg

scummvm00457.jpg

"...It's been a long time since I rock-and-rolled..."

Long time indeed.
On top of my desk, a small trinket is glittering :

scummvm00491.jpg

scummvm00492.jpg

I briefly consider the possibility of Eden being a vampire. I quickly dismiss the thought and decide to keep the Ankh for good luck.

Damn, I'm thirsty.

scummvm00499.jpg

scummvm00502.jpg

I guess I didn't have enough money for a six-pack. I take a swig. It tastes cheap and low in alcohol. Just like half of my life.

I had too much drinks today, nature calls.

scummvm00532.jpg

The fact that I keep a replica Wurlitzer jukebox in my bathroom should have alerted people that something is seriously wrong with my head. Unfortunately, people don't pay attention to the fine details.

scummvm00559.jpg

It's time to do what I came here for, check my mail. I enter the CodexNet:

scummvm00589.jpg

scummvm00594.jpg

Let's have a look at my credit situation first. Oh right, I need to log on before that:

scummvm00604.jpg

Now, let's see...

scummvm00612.jpg

Goddammit, I need money and I need it now. I'll have to ask Sparky for some advance.

Hmm ? there's a message from him:

scummvm00619.jpg

:what:

:hmmm:

:rage:

...Stuff like that can seriously push a man off the edge.

TITLE.png

spekkio

Arcane
Quality shiat, as always.

:incline:

I haven't played the game, yet still knew what is this thread about by reading the title - I learned about the diary in the tubes and added it to the game archive.

Technical question: which version do you play (floppy/CD), 'cuz AFAIK, CD version lacks subtitles for some spoken lines:
sauce

Judging by screenshots, you're using the floppy version. Is this correct?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Technical question: which version do you play (floppy/CD), 'cuz AFAIK, CD version lacks subtitles for some spoken lines:
sauce

Judging by screenshots, you're using the floppy version. Is this correct?

CD version with SCUMMVM. I haven't encountered any missing subtitles yet. It could be the fact that in the scummvm options you can choose between subs , speech or subs+speech. Options the original game didn't have.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've updated the 2nd chapter with the soundtrack. It should definitely be checked out, Dreamweb's soundtrack is one of the best cyberpunk soundtracks out there. Matt Seldon's the dude.

The Amiga had a much better sound than the floppy pc version due to them using the ".mod" format. It also had a couple of different tracks. On the other hand the PC CD version was at one time accompanied with a CD that had the OST which was using some tunes from the game but generally it was different and enhanced with actual instruments and effects. Frankly, I like the simpler amiga music better but both are great.

I'll be using both the amiga ripped soundtrack and the official OST and remix them to make them longer and more suited to the LP.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
< 02 > - < NO SHOES FOR THE WICKED >

KC.png
Hey DU, you really need to check this out...

DU.png
Not now. I'm busy.

KC.png
Look, this is some trippy stuff. Its-

DU.png
Dammit, KC ! The servers are fried again. I've disabled search, but it didn't amount to anything significant. I'm running out of options.

KC.png
How about another fundraiser ?

DU.png
Are you living in some goddamned dreamland ? After that P:E clusterfuck where we got a kindergarten instead of a brothel, people don't trust us anymore with their money.

KC.png
Oh, right.

DU.png
I'm seriously thinking of ditching xenforo and moving to hellokitty software... Now kindly fuck off and let me work !

KC.png
It's your loss, man.

diarypage-03+copy.jpg

diarypage-04+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

I'm surpsingly calm after learning that I've been fired. It was a lousy job, but it got the bills paid.
Looking through the mail I see that my friend Trash has send me a message :

scummvm00616.jpg

The rest of it is shameless spam:

scummvm00627.jpg

scummvm00632.jpg

And news are even more depressing from what they've used to be.

scummvm00635.jpg

Economy takes another nosedive...

Financial News said:
The city was in turmoil today as share prices nosedived once again. Analysts blamed the massive fall on today's report by the Government showing increased unemployment figures for the 30th consecutive month. The Vice President issued a statement late this afternoon saying that 'economic recovery is around the corner but these things do not happen overnight' and went on to say that 'any civil unrest will not be tolerated'.

Government critics have said that the economic problems have fueled social problems and the Government was condemning its citizens to an ever decreasing standard of living. The reports today followed last months poor crime figures.

Crime and violence are on a constant rise...

Headlines said:
Police this evening were describing last night as another night of crime and violence. Police Chief Inspector McKay gave a press conference earlier today to call for calm after a string of attacks on civilians and police took place last night. Inspector McKay said that the toughest possible measures would be taken including the upgrading of police weaponry if necessary.

Last night just some of the crimes included the organized raid of almost all homes in the Blandford Square area of the city by a gang of masked men and women who came and went before the police even arrived on the scene. They took valuables and left behind them many injured people and two murder victims. In the south of the city a school teacher was brutally murdered, seemingly at the hands of a psychopath. Car crime once again hit an all time high for a single night.

Vidgaming news are depressing as always...

GameStop said:
Bethesda Enterprises announced that they estimate their last "Elder Moles" game sold over 50 million copies. When vice president and creative lead, Todd Howard, was asked to comment on those unprecedented figures, he simply said "This is the new shit". Questioned about Bethesda allegedly moving into weapon systems manufacturing, he answered cryptically that "All things in life need to evolve". When asked about the rumors about him making a run for the Mayor's position of Codex City, he winked and replied "No comment".

In other news, "Call Of Duty : Sticky Cover Ops" just hit the shelves and sold out in 2 hours. Furious fans that failed to purchase a copy threaten to burn down Vidgaming stores if they don't quickly replenish their stocks.

...and the weather is shit.

Weather said:
General:
As the rainy season continues there will be increased humidity and constant rainfall, although mostly restricted to a light drizzle. Constant cloud cover is expected and temperatures will reach a moderate 20 degrees.

Pollution:
Due to the rain and cloud cover there will be a serious increase of trapped pollution in the air and it is recommended that masks are worn at all times for those in pollution risk category A. The risk should clear in 2 or 3 weeks.

Today's Outlook:
Generally poor, uncomfortable humidity, low levels of sunlight and poor visibility.

Many cartridges are scattered around the room, all of them are empty, except one :

scummvm00672.jpg

My mind is too foggy to remember what it's about, I'll need to have a look :

scummvm00681.jpg

scummvm00684.jpg

What about the cartridge I took from Eden's house ? The name "Interplay" still pushes all the wrong buttons in my mind...

scummvm00698.jpg

scummvm00704.jpg

Hmm....

Anyway, Without any money I'm fucked. My only option is to go and beg Sparky...

scummvm00997.jpg

ryan.png
And this is a job I try to cling on to... That should say something about my life.

Through the torrential rain I can see the neon sign for "Sparky's Bar". Next to this is a doorway that leads to a small flight of stairs.

scummvm00999.jpg

In the pouring rain outside Sparky's bar lays a totally unconscious man. He wears a brown suit that is stained and torn from months of sleeping rough. The man is surrounded by empty beer bottles.

scummvm01007.jpg

scummvm01010.jpg

ryan.png
Can you hear me ?

There is no response from the man, whose face rests in a pool of rainwater.Perhaps he isn't even alive... Another sad victim in the age of decline. I walk down the stairs and enter the bar.

scummvm01018.jpg

There are only a few tables in the bar along with a cigarette machine and an arcade game. The deep red carpet extends up to the bar, behind which stands Sparky himself. Music plays quietly over hidden speakers.

scummvm01021.jpg

scummvm01025.jpg

I decide to feign ignorance.

ryan.png
No, sorry, I mean, sorry I'm late.

sparky.png
That's OK, no problem at all.

ryan.png
Really?

sparky.png
Yeah, you're fired. If you'd bothered to read my message you would know by now.

ryan.png
You can't do that! I really need the money.

scummvm01034.jpg

ryan.png
Look, I'm sorry, I've been having a few problems sleeping recently, I'll try and pull myself together.

sparky.png
I'll tell you what I'll do. Take a couple of weeks off, try and sort yourself out. You aren't any good to me like this.

ryan.png
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Do you think I could have my wages?

sparky.png
Well... I guess so, even though I've ended up having to work behind the bar myself. Just run your card through the scanner.

ryan.png
OK, and I promise I'll sort myself out.

I can't believe I pulled this off ! The job may be lousy, but Sparky is a good lad. I should take the wages before he changes his mind...

scummvm01047.jpg

scummvm01050.jpg

Sparky comes over and types something into the scanner. I sweep your card through the slot in the machine and it adds two weeks wages to the balance on the card.

scummvm01054.jpg

Not bad. I glance at the arcade machine. It's making a frantic noise.

scummvm01083.jpg

scummvm01089.jpg

ryan.png
Hey there Spekkio, How's it going ?

spekkio.png
Just fine, Chefe, just fine. Look, I'm trying to concentrate...

ryan.png
What are you playing ?

spekkio.png
Age of Decadence. It just came out this Thursday.

ryan.png
Are these... flying roman chariots ?

spekkio.png
Yeah, and I have to shoot them down with my spaceship.

ryan.png
Oh. That's great.

spekkio.png
Yeah that's right, now could you just leave me alone?

ryan.png
I guess I should get going anyway, see you later.

There's only one other patron in the bar.

scummvm01099.jpg

He lies with his head firmly on the table. He's asleep and obviously drunk. His jacket sleeve is in a pool of beer and he snores quite loudly. Another regular, his name is Satori.

scummvm01103.jpg

There's no point of trying to talk to him when he's like that.
Ok, now I need to plan my next move.I sit on the stool next to a big dude.

scummvm01066.jpg

ryan.png
Mind if I sit next to you?

BIG+MAN.png
Do whatcha like. I don't care.

ryan.png
Thanks. What's on TV?

scummvm01073.jpg

Hines ? That's the name from my dream !

ryan.png
Who is this guy ?

BIG+MAN.png
Are you living under a rock, or something ? Peter Hines is a famous entrepreneur. He's the figurehead of Bethesda Enterprises. They make video games, among other things.

ryan.png
Oh, right, I think I've heard of them. Something about "Radiant AI" and "Immersive simulations".

BIG+MAN.png
Yeah. the word is they're moving into weapon systems development now. All their years of experience gives them a certain edge in that field. Hines is their main guy, but his real passion is music.

ryan.png
Music ?

BIG+MAN.png
He is also a famous DJ, didn't you know ? Yeah, he's been doing this since his college days.

scummvm01075.jpg

ryan.png
Where's he staying?

BIG+MAN.png
At that fancy brothel, the Regency. Hey! What is this anyway. Why all the questions?

ryan.png
Oh, no reason. The Regency is that big place near the bridge isn't it?

BIG+MAN.png
Er, yeah. Now why don't you shut up and leave me alone?

Was it fate that brought me to this man's path ? I really don't have anything against him, but I feel like things are out of my hands.

scummvm01126.jpg

I... can't back down now. I need to get hold of a weapon. Trash, has always been hanging out with lowlifes (what does this say about me, I wonder ?), he might be able to help me.

scummvm00730_new.jpg

I reach his building. It looks gray and ominous. A couple of steps lead up into the lobby from the street and I can see a glow of light from inside.

scummvm00761.jpg

The neighborhood seems like it's in even worse shape than mine. Let's see if Trash is inside.

scummvm00764.jpg

WHAT

scummvm00768.jpg

THE

scummvm00774.jpg

FUCK ?!!

scummvm00776.jpg

:eek:

scummvm00780.jpg

scummvm00785.jpg

scummvm00792.jpg

scummvm00798.jpg

scummvm00807.jpg

scummvm00810.jpg

:deadhorse:

:sigh: ...This just isn't my day.

TITLE.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom