Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Diary Of A (Mad?) Man - A Codexian Nightmare. (DREAMWEB) - COMPLETED

KickAss

Augur
FLIRT :)

lightbane

Arcane
The (mis)adventures of Ryan continue! Let's see how will he deal with Laidlaw...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
< 06 > - < ALL THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD >

Watchmen+05+-+22.jpg

diarypage-12+copy.jpg

diarypage-13+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

Channel 6 studios. The place where the fates have brought me to do their dirty work.

scummvm02630.jpg

I stand on the pavement and through the gloomy fog of pollution I see a sign that says "Channel 6 Studios" in large lettering. Behind the sign a large building reaches up into the darkness.

scummvm02632.jpg

Army trucks stand parked on the pavement. Laidlaw has come here with his army. I reach the building's entrance.

scummvm02646.jpg

scummvm02648.jpg

The entrance is guarded. The soldier is dressed in camouflage with leather boots half way up his shins and a large machine gun gripped firmly in his hands. He looks as if he's been gritting his teeth like this for hours. He looks around nervously as I watch.

scummvm02651.jpg

ryan.png
Can I go inside, I have an appointment.

soldier-guard.png
No! Nobody is allowed in or out, security regulations.

ryan.png
But I have an important appointment!

soldier-guard.png
You heard me, now please leave.

ryan.png
Right, I get the message.

What are they afraid of, some murdering lunatic that might try to off the general ? Well, they should. Nothing is going to stop me.

scummvm02662.jpg

scummvm02677.jpg

scummvm02686.jpg

scummvm02694.jpg

scummvm02730.jpg

I guess that's not a smart move. I should try to find another way in.

scummvm02752.jpg

The road meets a junction here and follows the TV studio's main building along to what looks like a back entrance or exit. The road leads off into a badly lit area and the rain comes down in torrents.

scummvm02760.jpg

scummvm02776.jpg

The side road leads to the rear of the TV Studio. This is probably where delivery vans gain access. The buildings in either side are high and block out most of the weak moonlight.

scummvm02810.jpg

scummvm02809.jpg

Behind a thick piece of glass is an old man with wispy grey hair that is bald at the top. He has a blue uniform on with gold rings on the cuffs and lapels. There's a nametag on his chest, spelling the name POOPERSCOOPER.

scummvm02814.jpg

ryan.png
Er, I've got an appointment.

POOPER.png
Look, the military have closed us down for the day. No one has an appointment.

ryan.png
But...

POOPER.png
You must have made a mistake. I can take your name and book you in for tomorrow if you like.

scummvm02821.jpg

POOPER.png
Military General Laidlaw has a special live TV interview this afternoon about the Middle East.

ryan.png
Ah, ok. So, what are all these notes you have there ?

POOPER.png
What, these ? Notes for my screenplay. Being on night watch gives me time to write.

ryan.png
Really ? What is it about ?

POOPER.png
It's a Fallout Sitcom. Think of a combination between Twin Peaks, Married with Children and Mad Max.

ryan.png
Er, that sounds great. Why don't you let me in and I'll put in a good word for your script.

scummvm02854.jpg

ryan.png
But I really need to see someone inside.

POOPER.png
If you don't leave sir I'll be forced to call security.

ryan.png
Alright, I'm on my way.

DAMMIT. This old guy wont budge. There must be a way to overcome this obstacle. I check my pockets.

scummvm02859.jpg

scummvm02860.jpg

Nothing. Maybe I could use the gum with the cashcard the Ankh and this nearby plant to develop a plastic explosive and create a diversion (I've seen it in an episode of McGyver2000)...

scummvm02940.jpg

No.

That leaves me only one choice...

scummvm02865.jpg

Goodbye, POOPER. :(

scummvm02872.jpg

scummvm02880.jpg

scummvm02882.jpg

:salute:

I feel bad about the old man, but what really frightens me is that I didn't even flinch while pulling the trigger. What am I turning into ?

scummvm02887.jpg

I push back these disturbing thoughts. I must focus on my mission.

scummvm02889.jpg

The air here smells damp and thick with exhaust fumes. The side of the studio is blank, apart from a solidary doorway. The doorway is now open.

scummvm02898.jpg

scummvm02901.jpg

I stand in the entry lobby at the rear of the TV studio. The desk here is unmanned and I can see no-one around. There's a brochure on the desk.

scummvm02905.jpg

ryan.png
Just a list of news related programmes... Hmm, what this ?

There is something underneath that brochure.

scummvm02920.jpg

scummvm02921.jpg

I put it in my pocket. This will come in handy. I think it's time I located Laidlaw...

scummvm02990.jpg

scummvm02991.jpg

This corridor leads to a set of doors that have a light over them saying "Transmission in Progress". Apart from this the corridor is quiet and empty.

scummvm02997.jpg

This must be where Laidlaw is being interviewed, but I can't get in from here. I search the rest of the area.

scummvm02942.jpg

scummvm02943.jpg

This little room must be used by lighting engineers. Lighting equipment is all over the place and there is a ladder here which may lead up onto the lighting rig. I decide to try my luck with the ladder.

scummvm02956.jpg

scummvm02957.jpg

BINGO!

scummvm02959.jpg

I hide in the shadows and listen.

newswoman.png
So, General Laidlaw, I hear you've been issuing new warfare tactics in your army.

laidlaw.png
Yes. With these new tactics you have every ability you had before in terms of being able to attack, move and position guys. But they're faster, way more fluid, way more comprehensible.

newswoman.png
Some people have voiced concerns that these new tactics may be a bit simplistic, that platoons aren't going to be able to be organized in time.

laidlaw.png
You may have to pause a little bit more to pull off the 'grand strategy,' but you can still pause the action, move between all of your characters... All those things are still there.

newswoman.png
But that's not all the innovation you've brought to our army. Rumors talk about a weapon of mass destruction ready to spread havoc with the push of one button.

laidlaw.png
What I basically said to my combat team was, "Let's get the feeling of when I press a button, something awesome happens." I always want to fire off nice and early. I think the results surpassed even our greatest expectations.

newswoman.png
But what about those who say that such weapons should never have existed. That such attitude can only lead to war and destruction ?

laidlaw.png
Miss Wainwright, these aren't tools for war, but for peace. They will be used to maintain our peaceful way of life. There are some who don't understand that. These people revel on adversity and chaos. We WILL bring them peace, rest assured.

newswoman.png
Safeguarding world peace. Isn't that a nerve-wrecking responsibility ?

laidlaw.png
It certainly is a heavy duty, but I can guarantee that I won't be crushed by its weight.

Disgusted by his smug face and patronizing lies, I try to think of way to rid the world of his presence. My gaze falls on the nearby winch...

scummvm02964.jpg

scummvm02965.jpg

I smile as I realize that the general might be crushed by the weight of his decisions after all... I turn my attention the winch's controls.

scummvm02973.jpg

scummvm02975.jpg

:rage:

Nothing is ever easy. I decide to go back down and see if I can find a working fuse.

scummvm03023.jpg

Eventually, I enter some kind of store room. A few empty packing crates are stacked against one wall with the lids removed. There is a damp musty smell in the room. On the wall I see what I've been looking for :

scummvm03040.jpg

The panel is held by screws, but that won't stop me.

scummvm03043.jpg

scummvm03044.jpg

Inside I find a fuse.

scummvm03049.jpg

scummvm03050.jpg

I go back up the ladder.

scummvm03062.jpg

scummvm03063.jpg

It fits ! It's time to see if Laidlaw can really lift the weight of the world on his shoulders...

scummvm03070.jpg

scummvm03074.jpg

scummvm03078.jpg

scummvm03101.jpg

scummvm03103.jpg

scummvm03105.jpg

I guess not.

scummvm03117.jpg

scummvm03119.jpg

scummvm03121.jpg

scummvm03130.jpg

scummvm03145.jpg

scummvm03149.jpg

scummvm03151.jpg

scummvm03154.jpg

This teleportation trick sure comes in handy.

TITLE.png

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:lol: That Jay Wilson's book is priceless.

This is definitely the best Codex-themed LP in history. Great job, dawg. :salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
D: You killed Pooperscooper in cold blood! Harsh, bro :(

Good stuff tho

He scoopered his last pooper !

Actually I was quite surprised with this one. I didn't remember this particular puzzle and I was trying to combine inventory items, or something, while the solution was "shoot the nice old guy in the face". :eek:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually I was quite surprised with this one. I didn't remember this particular puzzle and I was trying to combine inventory items, or something, while the solution was "shoot the nice old guy in the face". :eek:

This, and some of the little "pranks" you had to pull off to get into Lodge in Harvester are amongst the most memorable experiences of my gaming history. You know, "do something real bad or stop playing the game" kind of C&C.

spekkio

Arcane
You should publish those comic strips separately, dawg. DLC is the future of entertainment industry, after all.
Great job so far.

:salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Haba
Whoa, Harvester looks like a batshit crazy game. :added in playlist:

spekkio
I'm already thinking of changing the [ spoiler] tags into [sponsor] tags, where people will be able to get their day-zero DLC for only $3.99

977be9afe4fb0797136c16077364711d.gif

spekkio

Arcane
I think you should bring this LP to the one-before-final update and then run kickstarter to fund the final one.

:obviously:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
< 07 > - < NOW THEY HAVE A LEADER >

Watchmen+01+-+26.jpg

diarypage-14+copy.jpg

diarypage-15+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

Laidlaw is dead. I'm feeling drained. I step into oblivion. When I come around, I'm within a dream... Dreamweb ?

scummvm03164.jpg

scummvm03171.jpg

I'm surrounded by the hooded figures once more. They represent a finality that horrifies me. One of them emerges from the shadows and beckons me.

scummvm03203.jpg

scummvm03206.jpg

TheKeeper.png
Laidlaw's power has been absorbed by the web, but the remaining five are aware of your presence.

ryan.png
What will they do ?

TheKeeper.png
They will try and stop you. Now they have a leader.

ryan.png
What is his name?

scummvm03213.jpg

TheKeeper.png
His corporation, Interplay, was once a video game developing and publishing firm.

ryan.png
Yeah, I think I've heard of them.

TheKeeper.png
Caen infiltrated their ranks, hijacked the company, dismantled the developing studios and profiteered from selling owned IPs with tampered papers and afterwards suing the buyers for fraud.

ryan.png
Unbelievable.

TheKeeper.png
And that was only the start. With aggressive stock handling and under-the-table dealings he created a colossal enterprise that now bears the name Interplay. He has his hands dipped practically in everything.

scummvm03215.jpg

TheKeeper.png
We feel that he is close to someone you know well. This may provide a path to him.

ryan.png
Must I release Laidlaw's power from the Dreamweb?

TheKeeper.png
Yes Ryan. On your path through the Dreamweb you will find a crystal. The crystal has a power that will protect you.Do not leave the Dreamweb without it.

ryan.png
I'll do as you say.

TheKeeper.png
Now make haste...

I already have the crystal in my possession. Now all that remains is to open the next seal.

scummvm03256.jpg

scummvm03261.jpg

I turn the key and welcome the void.

scummvm03277.jpg

scummvm03298.jpg

scummvm03322.jpg

I find myself outside Sparky's. A drink doesn't sound like a bad idea at this point.

scummvm03338.jpg

scummvm03342.jpg

ryan.png
I just need a drink to help me take the edge off.

sparky.png
Just one, Ryan, I won't serve you anything more.

ryan.png
Thanks Sparky.

The scotch gives me a temporary warmth. Enough to get me to Trash's. I need to straighten myself up a bit and Trash's is the nearest.

scummvm03363.jpg

scummvm03371.jpg

I find him dozing in front of the TV. Occasionally he half opens his eyes and lazily flicks to another TV channel.

scummvm03376.jpg

ryan.png
Trash, how's it going?

Trash+chair.png
Oh, it's you. Did you see Silverman?

ryan.png
Yeah.

Trash+chair.png
Did you get what you wanted?

ryan.png
Yeah, I got what I wanted.

scummvm03384.jpg

ryan.png
Thanks.

Trash+chair.png
You look like you could use some sleep, man.

ryan.png
I don't think I can sleep, I've got too much on my mind.

Trash+chair.png
You can crash here if you like, I'm not moving from this chair.

ryan.png
Thanks but no thanks. Can I use your bathroom ?

Trash+chair.png
Sure man.

I splash some water on my face and I feel somewhat human again. I sit for a couple of minutes to get my bearings and then move on to get to my flat.

scummvm03469.jpg

scummvm03473.jpg

Morbid curiosity makes me look at the news. Is this what all killers do ?

scummvm03485.jpg

NEWSNET said:
A massive police operation has been launched following the
assassination of General Laidlaw on live television.

Flaunting security at Channel 6 studios the gunman, who matches
the description of the man who murdered celebrity Peter Hines
several hours earlier, made his way into Channel 6 using a
delivery entrance.

He shot a 58 year old night security guard in the face and
entered the building where he made his way into the studio
where an interview with General Laidlaw was taking place.

From an overhead lighting gantry the man used a lifting winch to
drop a packing crate, containing lighting equipment, onto the set.
General Laidlaw was killed instantly as television viewers watched.

As with yesterday's attack on Peter Hines, the killer
disappeared without a trace and the police are now examining
television footage to see if there is any evidence of some
kind of teleportation device being used, if any such device
exists.

The famous interviewer, Lauren Wainwright who has won many awards
for journalistic achievement, was narrowly missed by the falling
package and is said to be in a state of severe shock.

Police believe the man is targeting public figures and
extra forces have been mobilized to protect important political
and social leaders. There will be more news as it is received.

So, I'm now officially a serial killer. I wonder if the media will give me a name...

Frankly, I don't really care. I recall that some days ago I took one of Eden's cartridges with me, on a whim. On the sticker it reads "Interplay Enterprises".

ryan.png
Hmm, it seems this Dreamweb has been influencing my decisions a long time now...

Such thoughts make me uneasy, so I push them back. Anyway, I need to freshen up my memory about the cartridge's contents :

scummvm03514.jpg

Great, I know how to get in. Now I only need to find out where Caen is. Next stop : Eden's.

scummvm03400.jpg

scummvm03419.jpg

I find Eden in the bathroom. She is neck deep in bath water and foam bubbles. Her eyes are half closed as she relaxes in the hot water.

scummvm03420.jpg

scummvm03425.jpg

ryan.png
I got the sack. Sparky finally got fed up with me.

eden+bath.png
Where have you been? You look awful.

ryan.png
I've, um, been with Trash.

eden+bath.png
I suppose that explains why you look so bad.

ryan.png
He's my friend, I needed to talk to him.

scummvm03435.jpg

ryan.png
Look, I've just got to sort this out on my own.

eden+bath.png
I worry about you. Why don't you get some sleep? You look terrible.

ryan.png
I know, people keep telling me that.

eden+bath.png
Go and lay down. I have to go to work soon...

ryan.png
Yeah, maybe I will.

I didn't have the guts to ask Eden about Caen. I can't bear the thought of her finding out what I'm up to. I follow her advice and go to the bedroom.

scummvm03448.jpg

As I'm rearanging Eden's clothes in order to lie down, I come upon her organizer. Maybe I can find Caen's location inside !

scummvm03449.jpg

Feeling somewhat guilty I scan through the various names...

scummvm03457.jpg

I exit the apartment quietly.

scummvm03466.jpg

As I descend with the elevator I fell like I'm going straight down to Hell. Caen is just one of the demons I'll have to face along the way.

diarypage-16+copy.jpg

diarypage-17+copy.jpg

diarypage-18+copy.jpg

TITLE.png

Tigranes

Arcane
One day, I too will make it into a Codex LP. :( I'm just not one-dimensionally rambunctious enough.

I love these old games with weird UIs. Having the dude take up 1/6 of the screen is immensely counterproductive, but somehow I wouldn't wish it gone.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I love these old games with weird UIs. Having the dude take up 1/6 of the screen is immensely counterproductive, but somehow I wouldn't wish it gone.

In this case my guess is that the UI is mostly there to fill the space. Time and money probably restrained the developers from making bigger game areas or larger and more detailed pixel art. But yeah, the strange UI definitely adds to the game's style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom