Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's $20 now for the battlechest, will pick it up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You're probably right. Playing now and it's worse than Torchlight 2 in most ways. I think a big problem is to play adventure mode (with all the wacky additions) you have to beat the game once on normal. No idea why.

I watched 10 seconds of that video and some cuck said Diablo was the game that made him "identify as a gamer".

Blizzard is a joke.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I didn't even watch the video, the frame saying "CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF DIABLO" was enough.

In reality, we should be celebrating about 7 years of Diablo.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Yes, I know you can do stuff with shit gear. I finished nightmare with a skystrike and other junk on my amazon. Being able to complete objectives with shit gear does not make the shit gear good. Even (relatively) common uniques like homunculus take forever to farm if you're playing by yourself.

You play the hand you are dealt. If anything, it's kinda interesting that some characters will find one kinda gear and some characters will find another, and there's a ton of it that finding some rare items can be an achievement in itself. Point is, if you can get the highest achievements recognizable in PvM (Hardcore Hell mode beaten with an untwinked character or finishing the Ubers) even with just a really narrow scope of items, then that doesn't mean you're wearing only "shit gear" if it lets you complete the game. I suppose it's a philosophical question on whether shit gear is shit if it lets you complete the final difficulty level comfortably.

And they even helped players out a bit by increasing drop rate on high runes a few patches ago.

Bottom line is that Diablo 2's drop rates are atrociously bad and it it weren't for botters you couldn't even trade for lower grade end game equipment becuase nobody would want to trade it away.
I played when bots weren't a thing and for a single decent-tier rune (like Mal, Um, Pul) or a couple Perfect Gems you could outfit a highly capable Player vs Monster character, with huge killing speed and a lot of shinies. Even items like Tal's Amulet were on the market.

But still, all I'm saying is it really depends on what kinda game you're playing with. You could *always* easily amass a lot of wealth and upper-tier items for any class if you just ran Hell Mephisto a couple times every day, preferrably wearing a lot of Topazes and some crap items that Anya sells that give +30% Magic Find (magic boots and gloves), and be able to outfit characters with good stuff in no time.

But you don't have to and really, really can rely on just self-found stuff, and still win. It was something of a revelation to me way back when, because my first characters were trash in hell and I didn't know what to do with it, so I stuck to farming with sorces and so on, and then understood the game more and realized I'm just a shit player and that any and all item deficiencies can be beaten with smart play.

J1M

Arcane
Tried this anniversary bullshit. They didn't even lock the player movement to a limited number of directions. They just removed some animations.

Played it for a few levels and closed the program due to mounting boredom.

It really shows that they had to look for fan wikis to fuel this "homage" instead of their own experiences.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
When I played Diablo 2 I was ten years old and absolute shit at the game. Beat normal difficulty but never could beat Nightmare or Hell cause the builds I made sucked. So all this end game stuff you guys are talking about is just gibberish to me.

I'm kind of amazed Blizzard went the direction they did. They eliminated the need to create new characters for new builds, cause you get all the skills and can switch between them at no penalty. You can't mess up allocation of stat points because the stats you gain at level up are completely worthless due to the ridiculous number inflation this game has. Even if the numbers were valuable, the stat system is so shallow that the only allocation that can work is 3 points in a stat only useful for one class and two in vitality. This means anyone can reach max level and beat all the difficulties cause there is no need to think about any choices when developing your character. If you can't make bad choices then none of them have any value cause they don't matter. It's such a hollow system that there is no sense of accomplishment or reward for beating any of it.

And yeah that is completely fine. But only if you don't want people to play your game for more than just a few hours. Or have a memorable and fun experience. Which is why I am amazed they haven't changed this system yet. Seriously, they don't have to be original, just copy Grim Dawn or Path of Exile. Just do something that isn't this shit, cause you are just pissing all the work of your animators, programmers, and sound designers down the toilet.

Sykar

Arcane
When I played Diablo 2 I was ten years old and absolute shit at the game. Beat normal difficulty but never could beat Nightmare or Hell cause the builds I made sucked. So all this end game stuff you guys are talking about is just gibberish to me.

I'm kind of amazed Blizzard went the direction they did. They eliminated the need to create new characters for new builds, cause you get all the skills and can switch between them at no penalty. You can't mess up allocation of stat points because the stats you gain at level up are completely worthless due to the ridiculous number inflation this game has. Even if the numbers were valuable, the stat system is so shallow that the only allocation that can work is 3 points in a stat only useful for one class and two in vitality. This means anyone can reach max level and beat all the difficulties cause there is no need to think about any choices when developing your character. If you can't make bad choices then none of them have any value cause they don't matter. It's such a hollow system that there is no sense of accomplishment or reward for beating any of it.

And yeah that is completely fine. But only if you don't want people to play your game for more than just a few hours. Or have a memorable and fun experience. Which is why I am amazed they haven't changed this system yet. Seriously, they don't have to be original, just copy Grim Dawn or Path of Exile. Just do something that isn't this shit, cause you are just pissing all the work of your animators, programmers, and sound designers down the toilet.

It's even worse when the retards try to tell you that D3 has "infinite build possibilities!" and D2 would be limited which was always hogwash considering that Blizzard cannot balance for shit and only a small amount of builds come into popular play even less than in D2.
What's worse the retards claim that attributes in D2 did not matter since all build the same which is again ignorant crap. There were quite a few variations among builds depending on what you needed especially for physical damage dealers and ES/Max Block/Max Vita for Sorcs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fortunately when the season started I was able to make a seasonal character and do adventure mode. Leveling up is about ten times faster than plodding through normal.

Revenant

Man, this D1 anniversary event is total crap. Figured the "kill the Dark Lord starting a game with a lvl 1 character" achievement could be something at least a little difficult to pursue, I created a hardcore seasonal wizard and did it in like 1 hour, maybe less. Gear drops (even on Normal) were so insane that I simply ran through parts of the dungeon to the exit, not even bothering to kill the mobs :decline: Some observations:

- as mentioned before, your charater isn't truly locked into 8 directions. He simply has animations of walking locked into those directions, while he in fact can walk and aim skills 360 degree freely;
- the levels of the "labyrinth" (which is supposed to be the dungeon from D1) use D3 dungeon tilesets, so they're not even remotely faithful to D1 levels (portion 3, or the hell caves, are particularly mismatched). Same goes for monsters. This kinda feels the least bad in the 1st portion of the game (cathedral cellar in D1);
- the levels themselves for the most part are just generic Nephalem rifts of D3, and they are small. Just look at labyrinth level 14, which is 3rd level from the bottom of the dungeon:

359EH29.jpg

That's it. Now remember how sprawling those levels were in D1.

Verdict: this event is bullshit. Now on to wait for the Necro and get bored within an hour again

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah it was fairly underwhelming. Sunk quite a few hours into Derpablo 3 and my biggest issue is with the item sets. They're far too powerful to the extent they're mandatory and you're usually going to want a full six-piece bonus for most leaving very little room for item deviation. This makes most of the legendaries in the game crap since they don't have good synergy with the sets or the abilities they augment.

Sykar

Arcane
And the next update will bring /drumrolls

Primal items!
What are primal items you ask? Why I am glad to ask since Blizzderp in their infinite wisdom made it so that primal items are upgraded versions of ancient items whith better stats at an even lower drop rate! Genius! Game of the year for the next decade!

:discohitler:

Essentially, nothing has changed of their retarded formula, you just get bigger numbers.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Honestly I'm not going to go to Path of Exile, since it is a multiplayer ARPG that allows trading. This means that in order to prevent super powerful legendaries from becoming common and flooding the trading economy they have to have lower drop rates then say something like Grim Dawn designed for single player.

Plus the lack of any kind of respect means I can't really experiment too much with character builds and have to rely on premade builds by other people which I tend to hate.

It's a shame cause Path of Exile looks so fucking cool.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Honestly I'm not going to go to Path of Exile, since it is a multiplayer ARPG that allows trading. This means that in order to prevent super powerful legendaries from becoming common and flooding the trading economy they have to have lower drop rates then say something like Grim Dawn designed for single player.

Plus the lack of any kind of respect means I can't really experiment too much with character builds and have to rely on premade builds by other people which I tend to hate.

It's a shame cause Path of Exile looks so fucking cool.
Solo Self Found is not a terribly rare play style, and will be a recognized option if you play the new temp leagues (it won't change drop rates though). In the permanent leagues you get a full free respec every 3-4 months when the new temp league patch hits. You get some 20 respec points for just playing through the story, and there are also Orbs of Regret drops which give respec points so you can do quite significant changes to your character spec even without the complete resets.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Maybe I will give it a go in the future then.

For now I just want to focus on Grim Dawn, since I am having a blast with that and it is eating enough of my time as is.

But yeah Blizzard really fucked up. If they just kept releasing expansions after Reaper of Souls instead of these piecemeal content updates that no one notices, they might have had at least some chance of competing with Path of Exile. But Fall of Oriath bringing the act count up to ten and making a single playthrough of the content has just taken Diablo 3 and shot it in the back of the head.

That was probably the best trailer reveal I have seen in ages. I was expecting Act 5 but when they kept going I was like "shut the fuck up" and blown away.

Revenant

Necro footage:

Blizzard implemented monster corpses into the game just for the Necromancer class. There's also some story content announced along with the DLC.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Blizzard implemented monster corpses into the game just for the Necromancer class

That's sad.

What's even more sad is that Path of Exile is giving 6 more acts ad shitload of new skills for free and Grim Dawn giving a large expansion probably cheaper than D3 necro.

also that melee necromancer (...) looks hella boring.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Honestly, I don't have a problem with the artstyle. It's just the terrible rpg system the game has.

That and the ridiculous number inflation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom