Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

Sankarihauta

Prospernaut
Thanks to this thread I just had the beginning of a genius/impossibly retarded idea. Ok it's really retarded I guess.

If the ideal goal for Diablo3 is to eliminate the power of the Internet/wikis in allowing people to merely look up and max out all their shit, then the solution is to create slight random variation in the stats of basic spells, passive attributes, items, timings. Boss attacks should have slightly larger surprises in their damage/protection offsets. It has to be made blatantly obvious via the UI what the deviations on everything are, and these deviations have to remain fixed throughout a game started by a specific person.

In Diablo2-style game this shit wouldn't fly, but in Diablo3, you have no fixed tree of skills, so that would actually play along with that design decision and PUT IT TO USE.

Now that this amazing genius is out there, I await until someone implements it in an online ARPG.

This can also be implemented into first person shooters. suppose that enjoying the game = its story not being driven by twitch-action. i'd argue that going a step further we can make every thing uncertain in an fps but also still fun. imagine an experience where no matter how good you are or the momentum you've gained everything remains balanced and random. i've tested this idea on arpgs such as diablo in my mind.

the model works better if our decisions matter all the time. this can be achieved by following ironically the lore of games like diablo and doom. they both feature hell.

HELL IS BEING ABLE TO BUY ITEMS FROM AN OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED STORE BUT STILL DYING EASILY.
HELL IS RUNNING FROM A THORN MONSTER WHILE YOUR NERVOUS SYSTEM SAYS YOU'RE ON FIRE AND THAT IF YOU DIE IT'LL MAKE YOU IT'S ROMERO. (no offense john)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started playing this shit again after my butthurt over blizzard ruining the time stop wizard set subsided. requirements for extra stash slot are crazy stupid. blizzard = assholes.

Many long nights await me. :negative:

abija

Prophet
You do that shit in 20-30h of play on a new char, how the fuck is it even remotely crazy?

D3 is still the only game that managed to make me literally fall asleep at the keyboard - and this after the expansion. What a stellar distinction.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
You do that shit in 20-30h of play on a new char, how the fuck is it even remotely crazy?
you need to hit torment 13. I play a few hours a day at most (which IMO is plenty as is), I don't want to obsessively grind with 1 character just for that.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
PaBHaEK.png

:prosper:

Black

Arcane
Wait, why busy day? I thought pretty much everything blizzard but overwatch was losing on popularity.

I still play it after so many years and it's the only one I managed to play with every character. Sure ,I miss the more Gothic graphics and character progression but I have to say that Blizzard did actually improve the game on every aspect since launch. What I like the most is that even if they have the game on consoles, PC is still the best way to play with seasons. I really love that after a hard day at work I can just have some fun on greater rifts and get some level up for the gems. This is not Bethesda, Blizzard still patches the games like crazy and tries to keep fans happy.
It's very addictive and it makes connecting with other players so easy, although I like Grim Dawn better for example, it can't beat the matchmaking that D3 has.
Really curios to see what Blizzard has in stored this Blizzcon since Diablo reached 20 years since the making.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
I still play it after so many years and it's the only one I managed to play with every character. Sure ,I miss the more Gothic graphics and character progression but I have to say that Blizzard did actually improve the game on every aspect since launch. What I like the most is that even if they have the game on consoles, PC is still the best way to play with seasons. I really love that after a hard day at work I can just have some fun on greater rifts and get some level up for the gems. This is not Bethesda, Blizzard still patches the games like crazy and tries to keep fans happy.
It's very addictive and it makes connecting with other players so easy, although I like Grim Dawn better for example, it can't beat the matchmaking that D3 has.
Really curios to see what Blizzard has in stored this Blizzcon since Diablo reached 20 years since the making.

The only improvement was the removal of the AH. The rest stayed fundamentally pretty much the same with the exception of item progression now being heaviy focused on sets instead of uniques/rares which are almost phased out as well now.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
legendaries are still very important. i like the current balance between legendaries and sets, I just wish there were a lot more of both, but blizzard seems to have abandoned the game.

in unrelated news, season 8 started less than two hours ago and I forgot how shitty starting a new character completely from scratch is. All I ask for is my crafting materials and a level 25 gem of ease.:negative:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, they brought back paladin, and now it's necromancer's turn. Hope the amazon will also return.

Fired up D2 on battle net last night. I didn't get to play it online back in the days so my initial thoughts are:
Diablo 2 LOD is 10 times superior in every single way over D3. D3 feels like a spin-off.
In order for D3 to even mach D2 , they would have to change a lot. Char progression for once, skills, pvp, 8 players and so on....and then still won't be enough because trading is not allowed.
D2 is better because it is much closer then 1, and 1 was initially thought as a turned based RPG and it shows. We have chance to hit in both games.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm still betting it'll be a Diablo MMO. I think an expansion is unlikely considering how old the base game is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom