Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 3 - Reaper of Idiots

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I know they patched it... I just doubt they fixed anything of value...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Won't be seeing Diablo 4 for awhile. Hearthstone makes tons of money for almost zero creative output. Heroes of the Storm doesn't make Hearthstone money but it's still another F2P cash cow. Unless they figure out some way to make D4 (which will probably be the final Diablo game called Diablo Universe or something) a F2P cash grab bonanza you likely won't see it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Vanilla D3 is currently $10 on Amazon. Might grab it, dunno. If only Grim Derp were $12 during the summer sale.

nomask7

Arcane
Vanilla D3 is currently $10 on Amazon. Might grab it, dunno. If only Grim Derp were $12 during the summer sale.

You don't want Diablo 3 without the Adventure Mode, trust me.

Also, it's a very fast-paced game compared with the previous Diablos. Grim Dawn is relatively fast-paced too. If you're OK with fast, both are decent enough games in their own ways.

nomask7

Arcane
The game is now playable, for what that's worth. The itemization and overall design is still boneheaded though, and no degree of revision is going to change that.

Once you get to Torment difficulties and paragon levels, the actual game starts, and I'd say that the loot aspect of the game becomes maybe more interesting than in many comparable games, because you no longer have to update all of your equipment all the time - when you find something really good, it stays really good.

And you won't accidentally find the best-ever equipment before you've played the game much at all, because those are rare sets; and the RNG will make sure you also won't find a ton of ancient legendaries before you have some good unique 'normal' legendaries, and you won't find tons of unique legendaries before you have some good non-unique ones.

Now maybe they could have more unique legendaries - I mean legendaries with those unique abilities like making Time Stop have all the supporting skills - but the itemisation and equipment progression is not exactly bad, at least compared with other games of this type, from what I can tell.

I'd prefer it if character building actually existed in this game as separate from choosing what skills to use and what equipment to use, but that's where Grim Dawn shines (or at least used to).

Zerginfestor

Learned
I still think the game is pretty shit for how it pigeonholes most builds into just just a couple builds, that and without proper PvPing, there's really no point in doing the rifts, or play after the campaign. It's just there for fashion statements on who can make their hero look like an edgy clown the most.

nomask7

Arcane
I still think the game is pretty shit for how it pigeonholes most builds into just just a couple builds, that and without proper PvPing, there's really no point in doing the rifts, or play after the campaign. It's just there for fashion statements on who can make their hero look like an edgy clown the most.

The point is seeing what is the highest Torment difficulty that you can achieve and manage for bounties, rifts, greater rifts, uber bosses, and so on. The point of rifts is to get keys for greater rifts so you can get legendary gems.

Not necessarily less fun than doing the same campaign over and over again as in the previous Diablo games.

Zerginfestor

Learned

The point is seeing what is the highest Torment difficulty that you can achieve and manage for bounties, rifts, greater rifts, uber bosses, and so on. The point of rifts is to get keys for greater rifts so you can get legendary gems.

Not necessarily less fun than doing the same campaign over and over again as in the previous Diablo games.

The point (at least in Diablo 2) was to make a build, and challenging yourself into more difficult trials until you were ready for PvP shenanigans. PvP was basically the end when it came to Diablo 2, once you were done with Nightmare and Hell. Problem with D3 is that what's there to do afterwards? In the end, it is less fun than D2, honestly, because your goals strive towards absolutely nothing. What's next? Grab the next level of the gem? For what? To get to the next greater rift level? For what? To get the next level of a gem? It just goes on and on, never really having a goal for people, which, a great example is games like Evolve, just sort of makes you slow down in interest until you come into a screeching halt, never coming back to it. When you have a goal (PvP), it will always bring you back to it just to try new things, or enjoy the fun with others. D3 doesn't really do that, and I doubt they'll ever focus on PvPing to become the ultimate end-goal for players to strive for and make some crazy/hilarious builds.

Zerginfestor

Learned

Angthoron

Arcane
I dunno, I'd be a lot more butthurt about D3/RoS being what it is if there weren't actual competent Diablo-likes released during the same period.

As it stands though, there's PoE (the good one), Grim Dawn, Victor Vran, Adventures of Van Helsing, Depths of Peril, Din's Curse and several other titles that pretty much fill the "void" that D3 created by going super casual.

That's not to say that D3 isn't an enjoyable game in its own right at the moment - if you want bubble gum for your brain and something to contribute to your carpal tunnel syndrome, RoS definitely fits the bill. If you want something that has character building, well, there's all those other games to find out about and give money to instead of fat cats at Blizzard.

And you know what, I guess I'm fine with that.

nomask7

Arcane
I dunno, I'd be a lot more butthurt about D3/RoS being what it is if there weren't actual competent Diablo-likes released during the same period.

As it stands though, there's PoE (the good one), Grim Dawn, Victor Vran, Adventures of Van Helsing, Depths of Peril, Din's Curse and several other titles that pretty much fill the "void" that D3 created by going super casual.

That's not to say that D3 isn't an enjoyable game in its own right at the moment - if you want bubble gum for your brain and something to contribute to your carpal tunnel syndrome, RoS definitely fits the bill. If you want something that has character building, well, there's all those other games to find out about and give money to instead of fat cats at Blizzard.

And you know what, I guess I'm fine with that.

From what I can tell, Path of Exile is even more a loot whoring game, what with being probably the easiest, and thus the most brainless, Diablo clone I've played. (I've heard though that it used to be more challenging, so maybe you're thinking of some older version of the game?)

Angthoron

Arcane
From what I can tell, Path of Exile is even more a loot whoring game, what with being probably the easiest, and thus the most brainless, Diablo clone I've played. (I've heard though that it used to be more challenging, so maybe you're thinking of some older version of the game?)

I've not played it for a while, and the one quick peek I had did look like they massively nerfed the difficulty of the early game.

The stat/slot/skill system was really neat though, and opened a road to a lot of potential building. Then again, I suppose if I'll go theorycrafting sites now, I'll find out that I either play Build XYZ2016 or I'm a braindead retard, at which point I'll play Build XYZ2016 like everyone else.

Actually you know what, it could well be that Diablo-likes are really shafted by internet, theorycrafting, wikis etc - compare how easy it is to just google the best fucking build ever for your barb now vs what it was like in 2000. You could and had to experiment with your builds. Now you get "1-60 quick level guides" from youtube and reddit.

So yeah... I dunno. There's also that. Worth noting that when I played PoE the most, it was still in "beta" stages, so there wasn't so much info on builds, and a lot was getting tuned.

I have a feeling that Marvel Heroes is probably the best Diablo clone out there right now. Just a feeling though.

It's not. I sunk a good amount of time in it maybe a year or two ago?

For some reason they decided to make WoW-style raiding the end game. That was enough of ruin it for me. Rage timers have no place in an ARPG imo. But what eventually made me quit was too many carrot-on-the-stick promotions. They introduced a bunch of currencies that were necessary to buy the top-end gear, but you could only get those currencies doing certain daily promotions. If you didn't play the game during Wolverine Wednesday you could never farm 2000 X-Men stones to buy your Power Cosmic which was the best in slot item. For this week and this week only XP rates are quintupled if you play this game mode, make sure to do all your daily quests and XP boosters are 50% off! Buy this Storm skin for $100! It's a great value!!!

There were things I liked about it, certainly. The combat was for lack of better term more 'visceral' than POE, your attacks had weight and really satisfying feedback that felt appropriately arcadey. It just became too scummy for me, though. Maybe things have changed since I played it but I doubt it.

bonescraper

Well, your arguments are no longer valid. The game has changed a lot since then.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Thanks to this thread I just had the beginning of a genius/impossibly retarded idea. Ok it's really retarded I guess.

If the ideal goal for Diablo3 is to eliminate the power of the Internet/wikis in allowing people to merely look up and max out all their shit, then the solution is to create slight random variation in the stats of basic spells, passive attributes, items, timings. Boss attacks should have slightly larger surprises in their damage/protection offsets. It has to be made blatantly obvious via the UI what the deviations on everything are, and these deviations have to remain fixed throughout a game started by a specific person.

In Diablo2-style game this shit wouldn't fly, but in Diablo3, you have no fixed tree of skills, so that would actually play along with that design decision and PUT IT TO USE.

Now that this amazing genius is out there, I await until someone implements it in an online ARPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom