Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Median XL Ultimative

Greatness

Cipher
Looks very clusterfuck-y to me..

That's just Diablo in general. It wouldn't be edgy enough if people with epilepsy could play it. ;)

I put some time unto this mod awhile back. It is the best form of Diablo if you're into that sort of thing. Far more depth than D3 and a nice improvement over vanilla D2. Dunno why this would be posted in "General RPG Discussion" though.

ASTRAL

Arcane
I tried it once and it seemed to really up the clusturfuck ( including basic player skills ) tenfold so I didn't stick.

Siobhan

Arbiter
I tried MedianXL many years ago, but don't remember much about it. That being said, your description does make it sound like it fixes some of my main gripes with vanilla D2's single player experience (slow character progression, underwhelming loot, low enemy density), so I might give it one more try. Btw, how do you feel about the Back to Hellfire mod? As someone who greatly prefers D1 over D2, I have a soft spot for it, but it's very different from MedianXL regarding how it solves some of D2's problems, e.g. replacing skill points by books rather than reducing the time between level-ups.

Raapys

Arcane
Eastern Sun is excellent. Haven't tried MedianXL, but I struggle to see how it could be better than ES.

400*300px (half game-size) screens don't do this game visual justice, they're only for illustration of concepts. Real-time hardware accelerated lighting and perspective effects from Glide Wrapper are not seen properly, Median XL must be seen in motion for appreciation, and preferably not at 240p on youtube.

What exactly does the Glide wrapper add? I use DirectDraw since it's the only thing supported by the High Res mod. Do you have comparison pics?

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
There is plenty of sprites of other games in this one, Baldur's Gate, Age of Wonders, Planetscape,etc

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I tried MedianXL many years ago, but don't remember much about it. That being said, your description does make it sound like it fixes some of my main gripes with vanilla D2's single player experience (slow character progression, underwhelming loot, low enemy density), so I might give it one more try. Btw, how do you feel about the Back to Hellfire mod? As someone who greatly prefers D1 over D2, I have a soft spot for it, but it's very different from MedianXL regarding how it solves some of D2's problems, e.g. replacing skill points by books rather than reducing the time between level-ups.

B2H is a great mod, but the difficulty and cool-factor just isn't there for me. The mod will only run on post-XP Windows without sound (-ns), if you want sound you need Sanboxie or Virtual Box, and that's annoying.

Eastern Sun is another great mod, but isn't as actively maintained (or as challenging).

Is there a high res/widescreen hackmodthing for this yet?

Here.

I don't use widescreen for Diablo 2, cuz you can see and attack what should be off-screen packs without risk. I prefer display driver hardware scaling to maintain 4:3 aspect ratio on widescreens, this is for me the solution. You can also play in Windowed mode, preferably using Glide Wrapper (and -w -3dfx shortcut switches)

What exactly does the Glide wrapper add? I use DirectDraw since it's the only thing supported by the High Res mod. Do you have comparison pics?

DDraw looks awful, only use that as last resort if you can't fix compatibility or slowdown issues. I get no slowdown with Glide Wrapper which allows gamma and perspective effects in Windowed mode (-w -3dfx) and looks glorious in fullscreen with all the hardware accelerated effects (lighting).

There is plenty of sprites of other games in this one, Baldur's Gate, Age of Wonders, Planetscape,etc

Legions of modron reanimates facing off against packs of Dustmen, funny shit...

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've played Eastern Sun, Median XL and vanilla extensively.

A monocled mod.

Vladimir-Putin-laugh-gif.gif

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There should be an achievement for making someone so butthurt that they delete their posts.

bloodlover

Arcane
I played Median many years ago but I don't remember some of the feats you mentioned. Like the box dropping from Griswold and the respec option. I do remember however that it was quite hard compared to the original game and I spent some time just farming decent gear (or maybe I was just unlucky with the drops).

Maybe I will give it a shot since I am kind of bored with Torchlight 2.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I plaued Median XL quite a lot some years ago, while Laz was still in charge. I enjoyed it up until the endgame; all the later ubers involve invincibility gimmicks, which I hate in pretty much any game. It seems to be because he hit the cap for enemy hp, and resistances obviously mean nothing since the game is filled with - enemy resist skills. But that doesn't really fly with me as an excuse; I don't like fights where I'm forced to sit around dodging for long periods of time with nothing else to do.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I played Median many years ago but I don't remember some of the feats you mentioned. Like the box dropping from Griswold and the respec option.

Gift Box is an addition to Ultimative, you must have been playing the older MXLv005. I believe respec was in MXLv005, too (and ofc clod with x3 Akara quest). Most players additionally use PlugY for stat respeccing, this lets you hold down Alt-key to unspend points, and also hold down Shift-key to spend all remaining points. It doesn't work for skills, but is very convenient since it's so easy to accidentally gimp yourself without it.

I do remember however that it was quite hard compared to the original game and I spent some time just farming decent gear (or maybe I was just unlucky with the drops).

Probably just a bit unlucky, though farming - while fun for awhile and highly efficient - isn't absolutely necessary now in Ultimative, not on a level that's gonna break down your will to play, anyway. You might do 10x 1min Meph runs just to see what (100% chance) uniques he drops, up-tier a few of those you can use, and then move on.

I plaued Median XL quite a lot some years ago, while Laz was still in charge. I enjoyed it up until the endgame; all the later ubers involve invincibility gimmicks, which I hate in pretty much any game. It seems to be because he hit the cap for enemy hp, and resistances obviously mean nothing since the game is filled with - enemy resist skills. But that doesn't really fly with me as an excuse; I don't like fights where I'm forced to sit around dodging for long periods of time with nothing else to do.

I'm not particularly fond of them, either. In fact, some of the endgame challenges suck ass and swallow. But many of the untargetables and immortals can be debuffed by shattering a device of some sort, otherwise many times it comes down to survivability: slow, maxBlock, Avoid, DR, reanimates and summons, epicAC, leech life, life after kill, FRW, teleport, procs and super-maxed resists. I've completed 6/8 dungeon uberquests, 7/8 summoning uberquests, 5/8 uberlevels and 2/4 heroics, and I'm absolutely by no means a pro-player.

Haven't played in a while, but when Laz was still in charge of things it was quite good. It was unplayable on hardcore though, hence why i dropped it.

DraQ

Arcane
I think the first test a monocled mod must pass is a random passerby being more or less able to describe what they see on its combat screenshots.

If the description can't progress beyond "a bunch of random glowing uhh... stuff?" the test can be considered failed.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
MXL always looked like ass, guess nothing has changed on that front. Eastern Sun may not be updated anymore, but at least it's a tastefully done mod, worthy of playing. :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In the 2nd and 3rd shots it should be easy to see what's going on, also because I actually gave descriptions... >_>

The 4th and 5th shots were just to illustrate enemy density. I've also explained how still shots don't do the game visual justice, it has to be seen moving for full appreciation. Please read the topic before making dumb remarks.

But here are high res shots of two uberlvls.

This is Tran Athulua uberlvl, showing my barb tanking heavy amazon fire, also some Zons are preoccupied with modron reanimates, and bots (in blue):

AZU3093.jpg

This is Fauztinville uberlvl, show my barb fleeing a horde that rapidly converges at an intersection. This lvl is difficult to navigate, because it has a height map, the sidewalk being higher than street lvl. The necrobots - clearly shown at top-left - are the tankiest generic foes, and are also phys-immune. The orange guys are chargers (PS:T sprites) and you can see undead stealthed here, bottom-left and center screen:

yzOlIQb.jpg

These shots were taken in a 1080p game using D2MultiRes v1.02 and DDraw (not D3D or Glide).

Goat Pervertor

Prospernaut
Possibly Retarded
My brother is playing thiss atm... I cant finish Bloodlines because of him:argh::argh::argh::argh:

He says that its uber and all but it kills the atmosphere completely... Not just the rainbow effects but stuff like the crosbow shooting GRENADES instead of arrows.. I like the idea but it does not fit diablo AT ALL... Barb is now a summoner like he summons shit wtf. And the Assasin has a fucking NUCLEAR BOMB as a skil for christsake. A voice says LAUNCH DETECTED when you activete it FOR REAL...

I belive that its hardcore and everything but as my brother says the guy who made this is "a bit crazy".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom