Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 1

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wish I still had my copy of the Diablo 1 manual :(

It was a great read explaining some of the lore, especially the bits about the Sin War and what happened under Tristram, and its visual style and artwork fit the mood really well.

aF3Sb0G.jpg

Found this recently during house renovation. I was hoping the box would still be there too, but it's gone. NWN box, manual, guide, map and other shit survived though. :negative:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I installed Diablo 1 on my Win 7 64 bit machine and it works flawlessly, but when I installed Hellfire this was the result:

6VdEHDX.jpg

Is there a way to fix this or should I just install the HD mod?
How much does the HD mod change the gameplay? After trying the Hell Mod with that ultra tedious 10,000 HP Butcher I'm a bit wary of Diablo mods.

Try making .bat file in notepad that will reside in game's directory :

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
hellfire.exe
pause
start explorer.exe
exit

As for the HD I'm still playing it. Finished it with Barbarian on normal. Now having end-game with sorcerer on Hell difficulty but it's painful when some monsters have all spell resistances. But thanks to him I have some good gear for my other characters. New bow for rogue which has penetrative armors that go through enemies is cool. Barbarian has an Azurewrath thanks to the Izual quests, very fast one hand sword. Combine it with shield that gives me many bonuses and we are ready to kill those horrible succubus.

Don't worry about HP of the monsters, it's khem balanced enough not to make you scream and uninstall it after an hour or more. But you will die, especially when you are cornered by a group of enemies. Or the boss with the group of the "bodyguards" which are something from D2, stronger and harder to kill than normal monsters that you can see on each level. Thankfully you loose some gold that will be waiting for you on the ground. Then, you can restart with all your gear in the town. There are many new weapons and uniques, new spells and quests. The Cathedral section from Hellfire was very nice, too bad it isn't included in this one. There are only Skullwings from the expansion.

skullwin.gif

At least Holy Bolt still works for them on Hell.

DraQ

Arcane
So I installed Diablo 1 on my Win 7 64 bit machine and it works flawlessly, but when I installed Hellfire this was the result:

6VdEHDX.jpg

IIRC there is a number of fixes for it including a registry key and some way to get it to run properly with just the properties tweaking.
Try googling the former.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It worksn't. In Win 95 or Win 98 mode the program does not even recognize the CD.
Even the Unoffical Patch does not work; I guess it's old.
It will most probably work if I run Win XP with Virtual Box, but I think I'll try the HD mod instead.

EDIT: so the HD mod does not affect Hellfire? :(
DId you try the 640x480 setting in the compatibility section along with the 256 colors. That worked for me on WC2. They were released around the same time.

DraQ

Arcane
Agreed, but it still didn't quite feel like "exploration". I admit I probably have a distorted idea of what "exploration" is
No, I agree with you (apart from IE, perhaps), I wouldn't exactly call it "exploration" in D1, but it's still very much not grind and at least the first few subsequent playthroughs don't get any less fresh than the original one.
I wouldn't say the changed layouts and monster composition make it really any less "repetitive".
Well, fighting through a level filled with skeleton archers is definitely going to be different than through one filled with hidden, which is definitely going to be different from one filled by black deaths. Then you have different gear and spellbooks which affect how you can play.

Diablo is a roguelite and it helps it stay fresh for a long time.
Maybe I'm too anal about defining exploration (and/or I have a distorted idea of it), or too loose with my definition of "grinding".
The latter.

DraQ

Arcane

hellfire.exe
pause
start explorer.exe
exit
This. Probably the best way.
:salute:

Or the boss with the group of the "bodyguards" which are something from D2, stronger and harder to kill than normal monsters that you can see on each level.
That was already in D1 but not explicit.

Some bosses had an entourage of seemingly normal minions that actually used modified behaviour.

Thankfully you loose some gold that will be waiting for you on the ground. Then, you can restart with all your gear in the town.
What is this MMOfaggotry?
:rpgcodex:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

6VdEHDX.jpg

How much does the HD mod change the gameplay? After trying the Hell Mod with that ultra tedious 10,000 HP Butcher I'm a bit wary of Diablo mods.

hellfire.exe
pause
start explorer.exe
exit

Thanks, that worked! :salute:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Install The Hell mod next and you will be set.

It's a rework of hellfire that is amazing men. I'm playing it on windows 8 64 bit and finally got it to run without issues. I had to set it to compatibility mode for Vista Service Pack 2.. every other one makes crashes for some reason.. idk.. probably to do with the Mod but it runs smooth now.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, it's not stupid hard.. but it's challenging for sure and well balanced with many custom quests and zones and all of the deleted original quests and what not as well.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, did the UOP bring bosses to Diablo 1? I encountered two on lvl 2. Can't recall there being bosses in the original game. Not that I'm complaining.
Also, there seems to be lots more drops of magic and unique items. Speaking of Uniques I found two unique daggers that were identical. :roll:
Worked very well against the Butcher; with 500% extra damage (although decaying) it didn't take long to kill the dirty old bastard; easier than I remember from the origina.
Overall I'm enjoying the game, and it still looks and sounds good, but I'm definitely not enjoying it as much as I did 15-20 years ago.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
So, did the UOP bring bosses to Diablo 1? I encountered two on lvl 2. Can't recall there being bosses in the original game.

Yep, there were bosses in the original game. More or less randomly named Dark Ones, Scavengers, Skeleton Archers, etc. plus special cases like Leoric, the Butcher, Ghabard the Weak etc.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, the graphics are awesome, but that's where the awesome stops with this game.

Together with System SHock 2 Diablo 1 was the most engaging RPG experiences I've ever had in terms of atmosphere. And I still play it every now and then.
The Matt Uelmen soundtrack alone still makes me shiver.

Also I recommend the belzebub HD mod. Lots of quality of life improvements and new content.
http://mod.diablo1.eu.org/

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, the graphics are awesome, but that's where the awesome stops with this game.

Together with System SHock 2 Diablo 1 was the most engaging RPG experiences I've ever had in terms of atmosphere. And I still play it every now and then.
On one hand I agree. On the other, referring to Diablo (or SS2 for that matter) as an "RPG experience" never fails to trigger me.

Codex, what do?

Ninjerk

Arcane

On one hand I agree. On the other, referring to Diablo (or SS2 for that matter) as an "RPG experience" never fails to trigger me.

Codex, what do?
Hey, it has stats. :troll:

Sykar

Arcane

Codex, what do?
Hey, it has stats. :troll:

You mean that as a joke obviously, but many players do define RPGs like that...

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also I recommend the belzebub HD mod. Lots of quality of life improvements and new content.
http://mod.diablo1.eu.org/

Too bad it's only for base Diablo and not for Hellfire.
Hellfire sucks, tho. Would take HD mod over it any day.

Codex, what do?

Sorry for hurting your feelings, I will handle those matters more sensibly in the future. In this instance, "gaming experience" would be appropriate too, anyways.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I only liked the Cathedral tileset from Hellfire, or what its called, with silver gargoyle like walls... That was pretty good. Other than that, Hellfire sucked.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oh well, the UOP adds enough things that it makes it worth at least one playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom