Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 1 is pretty swell

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Aren't there better alternatives to Diablo 1? Like Divinity 2?
Absolutely not. Divinity 2 has bad loot tables, its bestiary isn't as varied, and its levels aren't as expansive.

The only things I liked about the Diablo games were the mood and style. They drifted in the wrong direction for Diablo 2 in an attempt to expand the scope of the game (deserts and amazonians etc., not inherently bad but too underdeveloped to contribute to the setting) and unfortunately they have irredeemably destroyed it with Diablo 3. Their new style while servicable in another game, is about as bad as it could possibly be for a game in the Diablo series. Earlier Diablos also had great cinematics, and their new cinematics are just soulless and without any character (started with the very first WoW movies).

I really would have liked to play a more substantial RPG in the setting presented in Diablo 1 though.

The only things I liked about the Diablo games were the mood and style. They drifted in the wrong direction for Diablo 2 in an attempt to expand the scope of the game (deserts and amazonians etc., not inherently bad but too underdeveloped to contribute to the setting) and unfortunately they have irredeemably destroyed it with Diablo 3. Their new style while servicable in another game, is about as bad as it could possibly be for a game in the Diablo series. Earlier Diablos also had great cinematics, and their new cinematics are just soulless and without any character (started with the very first WoW movies).

I really would have liked to play a more substantial RPG in the setting presented in Diablo 1 though.

Yes bro! Too bad it'll never happen. :( No elves, fairies, and dragons, just some meager human resistance in a dark medieval gothic world full of sinister christian mythology and demons. Oh, that would be great...

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Diablo 1 still has visible roguelike roots - it's primarily a game about making due with what you find, and not dying like a retard due to "I can take this!" decisions. It's simple, focused, and fun, and also surprisingly difficult at times. Atmosphere is great too. All in all, it's very different from Diablo 2, despite superficial similarities.

Gregz

Arcane
I installed the game w/ Hell mod a few days ago. By the way, the mod has a no-CD patch included and doesn't even require installation. You just unzip the folder where you want it and copy the diablo.mpq file into the directory. Done.

The mod itself seems pretty cool. It increases the size of the dungeon by about 50% and adds tons of new items, monsters etc.

Does Hell mod increase the size of the Diablo I dungeon, or the Hellfire dungeon? (please quote/reply, I'm not following this thread and really want to know)

1eyedking

Erudite
Art direction:
Diablo 1 > Diablo 2
Could easily compete for best game music ever.

Mechanics:
Diablo 2 > Diablo 1
Can turn you into a complete junky without warning

Could easily compete for best game music ever.

While the Tristram theme could probably compete for best original game song, and the soundtrack sets an excellent mood (possibly the most important task for a soundtrack), I don't think it could compete for best game soundtrack overall. Only ~25 mins and the other pieces aren't nearly at the level of the Tristram piece

fuzz

Liturgist
Diablo 1 still has visible roguelike roots - it's primarily a game about making due with what you find, and not dying like a retard due to "I can take this!" decisions. It's simple, focused, and fun, and also surprisingly difficult at times. Atmosphere is great too. All in all, it's very different from Diablo 2, despite superficial similarities.
Funny enough Diablo 1 would almost be a roguelike with fancy graphics. As it was originally planned to be turn-based.
a1-3.jpg

Sauce: http://www.diablo-evolution.net/index.php4?pageid=alpha1

Tigranes

Arcane

Yes bro! Too bad it'll never happen. :( No elves, fairies, and dragons, just some meager human resistance in a dark medieval gothic world full of sinister christian mythology and demons. Oh, that would be great...

Clearly, the next Feargus Slam Dunk! is on the horizon.

Stabwound

Arcane
Does Hell mod increase the size of the Diablo I dungeon, or the Hellfire dungeon? (please quote/reply, I'm not following this thread and really want to know)
I have no idea, sorry. It only requires Diablo and not Hellfire so I'm assuming it doesn't expand upon Hellfire.

Funny enough Diablo 1 would almost be a roguelike with fancy graphics. As it was originally planned to be turn-based.
Sauce: http://www.diablo-evolution.net/index.php4?pageid=alpha1
That's awesome. I knew Diablo started as a turn-based game, but I had no idea that it reached alpha status in that state nor that there were screenshots of it.

It would be cool if that early alpha appeared on the internet one day. :smug:

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
While the Tristram theme could probably compete for best original game song, and the soundtrack sets an excellent mood (possibly the most important task for a soundtrack), I don't think it could compete for best game soundtrack overall. Only ~25 mins and the other pieces aren't nearly at the level of the Tristram piece
Booooolshit. That Hell music still cares the crap out of me. And what about the sweet guitar in the Caves music.

Topher

Cipher
I just want to chime in my love for the original Diablo. Diablo 2 never came close, I really liked the desert theme of act 2 but everything else felt bland to me, hated the skill trees too and it doesn't help that the game locks out the harder difficulties to start... normal's way, WAY, too easy. That players "8" trick helps but I'm still stuck with those damn skill trees and, far and away, the most boring procedural level generation since the vacuous spaces of Daggerfall's overworld map... I only think Titan Quest did it worse and wasn't that map handmade.

waywardOne

Arcane
Diablo 1 still doesn't have a nocd worth a damn (still needs registration on every computer too).

This annoys me (i own the original cd)

Same. I just installed it three days ago and spent a good hour looking for one. Found one eventually but you also have to edit the registry. Still, slightly better than yet another image in Daemon.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Nox? Better? Never.

I couldn't even make it through the first two levels of that game.

Atmosphere held me in Diablo 1.

Diablo 2's spread-out setting diminished the use of Christian mythology and symbolism, and destroyed the tighter use of atmosphere and storytelling that the first game displayed.

I love how people like to get Codex Credit (tm) by displaying knowing of more "TRU KVLT" games, as if playing a more underground clone of Diablo is superior to playing the original game. if you want to be truly rogue-like, go back to Nethack, and then brag you like Nox over Diablo.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Nox is cool and yeah its easily better than Diablo

D3<D1<Nox<D2

Never tried it, maybe I'll give it a go when I get some more free time.

I think the reason I like D1 so much is 90% nostalgia. It's hard to tell, I mean it's still fun to play, but the music and art direction is what really makes D1 stand out

Multi-headed Cow

Nox is way less about getting skills/leveling up/getting phat loot and way more actiony. It is pretty as fuck though, and the multiplayer was/is cool as shit. Not just multiplayer version of the campaign, it goes all competitive MP with TDM, DM, CTF, and so on. Then people wanted a co-op mode so what they added was Gauntlet-like with monster generators and randomized loot. It was awesome, but pretty different from the Diablo series.

Edit: And the competitive MP (In case you were wondering) had the 3 classes in the game, all at level 20 I believe it was. You'd pick your class (Each played differently) and then go at it, with weapons and equipment scattered around the map like a shooter. Conjurors were mostly pretty good at defense but could be built via skill selection to be good in other ways. Wizards were usually the best flag runners since they could have haste spells, and spells to slow down pursuit (Teleport was neat. Mark teleport in lava, teleport enemies (If the server didn't have that spell blacklisted)). Warriors were good all-rounders if you were accurate and had a good feel for the charge and harpoon skills. Could absolutely rape people if you got good at warrioring.

Weren't the classes mostly similar, just differing in the starting stats and the skill they have? Rogue can detect the some 2 traps in the game or so, warrior and sorcerer can make items worse so they have full charges.

Multi-headed Cow

Pretty much. I'm not sure if this is ACTUALLY the case, but I always thought while playing Diablo 1 that the animations for the 3 different classes were geared toward their specialty. Such as the warrior spellcasting animation going slower than the wizard, so given the same stats and items and skills the wizard did better with it.

No idea on the truth of it since it's been years since I played D1. Just seems to be how I remember it. I also remember ALMOST NEVER getting the poison well quest (Man, the few sidequests you may or may not get was cool in D1, I'm glad they sorta brought that back in D3) and being heartbroken if I didn't get Arkane's Valor in a game.

Captain Shrek

Nox is way less about getting skills/leveling up/getting phat loot and way more actiony. It is pretty as fuck though, and the multiplayer was/is cool as shit. Not just multiplayer version of the campaign, it goes all competitive MP with TDM, DM, CTF, and so on. Then people wanted a co-op mode so what they added was Gauntlet-like with monster generators and randomized loot. It was awesome, but pretty different from the Diablo series.

Edit: And the competitive MP (In case you were wondering) had the 3 classes in the game, all at level 20 I believe it was. You'd pick your class (Each played differently) and then go at it, with weapons and equipment scattered around the map like a shooter. Conjurors were mostly pretty good at defense but could be built via skill selection to be good in other ways. Wizards were usually the best flag runners since they could have haste spells, and spells to slow down pursuit (Teleport was neat. Mark teleport in lava, teleport enemies (If the server didn't have that spell blacklisted)). Warriors were good all-rounders if you were accurate and had a good feel for the charge and harpoon skills. Could absolutely rape people if you got good at warrioring.

Wizards also get the best story, although that is beside the point.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Weren't the classes mostly similar, just differing in the starting stats and the skill they have? Rogue can detect the some 2 traps in the game or so, warrior and sorcerer can make items worse so they have full charges.

What Multi-headed Cow said. Sorcerer had shit melee attack speed, warrior had shit cast rate. Also, stat caps were a pretty big factor, not much spellcasting you can do with a cap of 50 on magic

DraQ

Arcane
Aren't there better alternatives to Diablo 1? Like Divinity 2?
Absolutely not. Divinity 2 has bad loot tables, its bestiary isn't as varied, and its levels aren't as expansive.
Well, Divinity 2 is a diablo-like and has different, well developed strengths. It's a very good game and I'd consider it better than Diablo, but yeah, definitely not an alternative to Diablo for someone expecting a diablo-style of fun.

:bro:

Also the atmosphere.

I just want to chime in my love for the original Diablo. Diablo 2 never came close, I really liked the desert theme of act 2
...until the catgirls started coming, I guess?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom