Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

sullynathan

Arcane
Have you played DMC3 on DMD? They have a HUGE amount of health, way way beyond what's necessary for to test your ability to fight those enemies. It's the same for all of the DT'ed Sins - they have massive health pools. And DMC isn't notable for having many enemies on screen at once. It's never done this. And even where it has multiple enemies, the game is specifically designed so that few attack at once. The others dance around at the periphery of the fight. You never get overwhelmed by attacks in DMC. It's a really conscious design decision.
I've played DMC 3 on DMD but never beat it there.
DMC 4 on legendary dark knight has a lot of enemies on the screen, the only other game mentioned that had similar numbers was Ninja Gaiden 2

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane

7r8O0e6.gif[

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'd love to get Tameem's honest thoughts on this announcement after his DmC got blasted by fans.

2_tamemjpg.jpg

sullynathan

Arcane
Lots of leaks , that while you should take with a grain of salt, I am inclined to believe them due to previous leaks being mostly true. Also new info at the bottom

Devil May Cry 5 Developers Talk About Graphics, Action, and More; News Coming at Gamescom - DualShockers, July 18, 2018

In Devil May Cry 4, in order to prioritize the immediacy of response, animations are canceled and connected in the same way as in fighting games. However, in Devil May Cry 5, while the game instantly responds to the player’s input, it doesn’t skip animation frames. Canceling frames in a game with visual quality akin to live-action photography would look strange. The developers call this the “uncanny valley of action.”

For example, when a character turns around, if you make him shift his weight realistically, the response to input worsens. While in Resident Evil 7 this was not a problem, in Devil May Cry 5 the pace of the game is essential for the high-speed battle action, which is why the devs are focusing on preserving both responsiveness natural motion, and that is quite challenging.

jump cancelling info said:

Itsuno: "In previous titles, we linked animations together by canceling them. In 5, we're making sure to not skip frames, even while reflecting player input."

cancelling said:
Additionally he even used an example of cancels very much being in the game, even though its hard to see the 'blended' frame because we only have low quality 30fps footage really.

DiaNiwfWsAMH6hB.jpg

3:00 PM EDT 18 Jul 2018

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like this version of Devil Trigger

Holy shit though this song caught on like wildfire. Its a nice song but damn, that escalated quickly.

The song is pretty hype but there's also the timing. People were more or less convinced that we were never getting a new DMC and despite some teasing here and there about some mystery project people didn't want to get their hopes up since that kind of teasing has rarely lead to anything actually interesting. And then suddenly they drop this bomb and people were lit. Also the fact that there wasn't really anything good in E3 apart from DMC5. The right game at the right time and place. It was perfect.

sullynathan

Arcane
DMC5 definitely in top 3 of E3, as is another Capcom "sequel". Welcome back big C. Now where's my Dragon's Dogma 2?
Rumors say DMCV is the last Devil May Cry game he's working on and he wants to conclude the original series story there. Perhaps he will work on Dragon's Dogma 2 right after this game releases or maybe it's even been in production ever since they remastered it similar to DMCV being in production since DMC4:SE released. Either way, it's far more exciting to reveal a game close to release than years before.

sullynathan

Arcane
it's here.

Impressions from video.

Combat looks good like a newer DMC4 with perishable items. I like that devil breaker beam and the abilitiy to break your own devil breakers. lots of effect and nice graphics, it's a good thing they also got it to run at 60 fps on consoles.
Surprised to find that the entire video is in automatic. I've never played any DMC game on automatic but the description in previous games meant that the game auto-combo'd for you. This also leads me to believe the gameplay was on easy.
Some DmC influence here when new enemies are introduced and there's a cut to where their name is plastered on the screen. When a combat encounter is finished camera zooms in on Nero just like it zoomed in on Donte.
This new zoomed in camera seems a bit questionable. Camera zooms in a bit when there's one-on-one but also zooms in outside of combat, I can tell that the player couldn't see everything on the screen at that point.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
The mixture of fonts is weird. One stylized font for scoring, interactions and, item names; typewriter-esque font for dialogue; your modern standard game font (Arial?) for descriptions.

Nero's voice is a bit young sounding.

Not sure about the art direction and music. Seems a bit drab, but that could be my monitor. Also the techo-gothic ost of the first game is still my favorite in the series

But other than that,:d1p: so far.

Capcom's monster animations are cool. The best in the business.

Particle and light effects are cool.

Combat, of course, is only matched by Platinum.

sullynathan

Arcane
holy shit dante

Ancient capcom lost footage

Official commands for Xbox.

Style rankings, where you can actually see the audio cue on the dynamic music around the letters, which are the gauges themselves:
S = Savage
A = Apocalyptic
B = Badass
C = Crazy
D = Dismal

The demon tree is the Qliphoth, Nero can pick up Nidhogg hatclings, and "Devil Trigger" in-game sounds DOPE.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My impressions from the 15 minute gameplay trailer:
Most important that it looks, plays and sounds like a true Devil May Cry game, so overall it is awesome. I've waited 10 years for this, but it pays out is seems.
But, whoever decided to turn down the music volume should be executed. Music is 50% of the atmosphere, and it pumps you up during fights. In the video you could barely hear it. Second, I hope taunting is still in the game, because it was important in previous games, and it looked COOL. I haven't seen any of it in this video. Third, I don't know if I like this mechanic where Nero uses up his Devil Breakers, and then you have to collect them. I think it just limits your actions. DMC was never about resource management, it is about 100% nonstop action with your weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom