Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developers' rooms in cRPGs

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tell me, Codexers: what developers' rooms in cRPGs do you remember and find memorable?

There is for instance the "Electronic Arts Funmap" in Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic that is supposed to represent the actual layout of the developers' offices.

06sentinel08.png

In there, you even get attacked by "EA Roudies", which is kinda... appropriate.

06sentinel07.png

In Chuck Bueche's Autoduel, you can visit the Manchester office of Origin Systems; I can't find any screenshots of that, though.
Then there's the New World Computing office dungeon in Might and Magic VI. (As well as in VII and VIII.)

pU99Y.jpg

For better or for worse, the NPCs don't attack you there. In fact, you can't interact with them at all. There is, however, some equipment you can find around the place.

pokemondev.png

"I'm the game designer! I drew you!"
Next I feel like mentioning the designer's room in Pokemon Red & Blue. (Yeah, it's a console title, but whatever.) And in Pokemon Black & White, like in Sentinel Worlds, you can even fight a game developer.

Any other interesting, or maybe obscure, examples?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
there's a bonus dungeon in divine divinity that has the devs office.

The ending screen of qfg 1 had the devs as part of the audience (you could "look" at them too).

Castanova

Prophet
If I remember correctly, Sacred 2 had a VERY tedious questline that ended with you finding the developer's office, filled with NPC's representing each actual developer.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Castanova said:
If I remember correctly, Sacred 2 had a VERY tedious questline that ended with you finding the developer's office, filled with NPC's representing each actual developer.
The tedious questline actually involved you hunting all the developers all over the map, and each time you found one he/she headed to the offices, where you could then go and find them.

Quake 2 had a developer room, IIRC right below the final boss fight.

MM7-8 also had NWC offices like 6 did.

DraQ

Arcane
as a cRPG? No.

:P

In ONP (UT SP mod, derp at times, with worst voiceacting ever, but technically brilliant and imaginative) you have the best credit sequence ever.

In Morrowind there is head of the Scourge and M'Aiq who isn't retarded yet.

In Divinity 2 there is LibLarian. :salute:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Castanova said:

after I did the blind guardian quest I basically said fuck it to all optional sacred 2 quests from then on

everything from the concert cutscene down to the item rewards were horrible

and I say this as a fan of blind guardian

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I did, but not seriously.

Sceptic said:
Crooked Bee in the OP said:
Then there's the New World Computing office dungeon in Might and Magic VI. (As well as in VII and VIII.)

MMXI said:
Ultima II was basically one huge developer room.

Elaborate, please, 'cause I never played Ultima II. Was it, like, one huge Lord British's castle with all the Origin Systems employees inside?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
in the old Ultima-clone VAMPYR you would get to heaven when you died, only to find the two game designers are God..

spectre

Arcane
In Titan Quest you also had a "Secret Passage" thingy with boss monsters with developer nicknames.
tqit2007031810370279at6.jpg

Crooked Bee

Patron
I've only just found out that in M&M6's developers dungeon you can encounter Trip Hawkins, and guess what, he starts attacking you! So it's not only in Sentinel Worlds that the EA are so totally evil. :P

asper said:
in the old Ultima-clone VAMPYR you would get to heaven when you died, only to find the two game designers are God..

Heaven as the devs' office? Good one.
:thumbsup:

CK said:
Graphixx whore

:oops:

Also, yeah, Chrono Trigger. Then there's Final Fantasy IV and its DS remake: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Developer's_Office

mondblut

Arcane
There was a developers' office secret location made for 7.62, but in the end it wasn't included in the game, along with 2 other easter egg locations. It too represented actual layout (which wasn't much, 2 rooms and a corridor).

Ah, FF2 / 4 and the dirty magazine in the bookshelf. I remember thinking that maybe I could take it if the developer guy didn't see me, like it was a puzzle or something. I think back then I didn't really understand the concept of easter eggs :lol:

Takashi Tokita also makes an appearance as the Game Designer again. Tokita enters battle as a Zombie and keeps repeating "IT WILL NEVER END..." After taking a lot of damage, he eventually says he wants to go home and starts to panic about programming bugs. He drops a Lustful Lali-ho upon defeat.

Kamichi as a Treasure Chest. He gives the player a Kilobyte of Memory, but he takes it back.

:lol:

Kaoriko and Natsuko as White Mages. In battle, they're a Magma Tortoise and a Behemoth respectively. They attempt to use the Band "Lonely Developer", but it fails. After retreating, Kaoriko says that she hopes that a particular man in her life will address her as a pig one day.

what

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Crooked Bee said:
Sceptic said:
Crooked Bee in the OP said:
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Somebody shoot me already.

Elaborate, please, 'cause I never played Ultima II. Was it, like, one huge Lord British's castle with all the Origin Systems employees inside?
No, he meant the whole game is full of computer personalities from the era. The entire thing is basically one big 1982 joke. Neptune had a town called Computer Camp where most of them hang out and LB made fun of them one way or the other (the one I always remember is Robert Woodhead shouting COPY PROTECT! COPY PROTECT!)

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
No, he meant the whole game is full of computer personalities from the era. The entire thing is basically one big 1982 joke. Neptune had a town called Computer Camp where most of them hang out and LB made fun of them one way or the other (the one I always remember is Robert Woodhead shouting COPY PROTECT! COPY PROTECT!)
Yes, this. Andrew Greenberg is in it too. Owen K. Garriott (Richard's father) is in it somewhere asking you if you've seen his shuttle. Richard Garriott (as himself and not Lord British) is somewhere in it, saying "tomorrow for sure", indicating that the release date kept getting pushed back. Two people, Margot Tommervik and Al Tommervik are somewhere in the game and, according to the Ultima wiki, they were founders of an Apple II software magazine. Chuck Bueche is obviously Chuckles. There are also lots of other people who have names matching people in the credits. There's a Debra in there somewhere and a Howie who asks you if Ultima II is finished yet. Keith Zabalaoui was listed in the credits as a programmer and appears in the game telling you that he's "never done this before", indicating it's his first computer game.

It's all rather retarded really.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
When you beat SaGa Frontier with all the characters, you get to go to a special room after the ending, filled with the developers and some neat stuff, like a bunch of the bosses available to fight, including some that never made it into the game.

http://lparchive.org/SaGa-Frontier/2nddiv.html

It's actually a rather massive amount of stuff, considering some of the crap they never finished in the game proper...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Crooked Bee said:

pU99Y.jpg

For better or for worse, the NPCs don't attack you there. In fact, you can't interact with them at all. There is, however, some equipment you can find around the place.

Actually, one or two of them DO attack you. Also, one or two of the NPC are many times more tougher than the others, so you may decide to "interact" with the dev team by slaughtering everyone, and suddenly finding that some of them are tougher than your entire party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom