Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dev Log #47: Announcing Underrail: Expedition

epeli

Arcane
How does this work with the base game? What if you already finished it? Need a save, probably from outside of DC, I guess?
Styg said:
You'll be able to access the new content from the Core City during the mid-game and later, so you don't have to finish the game or start a new one if you have one running.

agris

Arcane
Patron
How are you handling the increased player power when they get back from the expansion and have the rest of the original game to finish?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Great news! :bounce:

The artwork is looking fantastic, as does the premise of islands, pirate strongholds and new human factions.

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
AW8 yeah. Hype train is all over the place. Like, someone on /v/ of all places made a collage of new creatures in the announcement screenshots.

WtRmwgI.jpg

Hard to tell with all the JPG artifacts, but Nikola (the new 3D artist) seems to be doing a good job.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How are you handling the increased player power when they get back from the expansion and have the rest of the original game to finish?

Would that even be a problem for most Underrail fans? As I remember, the idea of buffing enemies or nerfing abilities has been extremely unpopular in the main thread.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Mac_Orion Unofficially, are there going to be any content (I'm thinking DC) or mechanics patches before the expansion? I'm trying to decide if I want to start a new run now or wait. After putting ~100 hr into the early access build, I actually haven't played the release version yet b/c of patching.. then the expansion talk..

Also, do you think playing the expansion mid-game or post-DC will offer the 'best' (holistically most challenging) experience?

Mac_Orion

Stygian Software
Developer
Mac_Orion Unofficially, are there going to be any content (I'm thinking DC) or mechanics patches before the expansion? I'm trying to decide if I want to start a new run now or wait. After putting ~100 hr into the early access build, I actually haven't played the release version yet b/c of patching.. then the expansion talk..
There wont be any bigger content patches before the expansion, most likely some tweaks and bug fixes here and there, but dont take my word to exact and its to soon to tell, we also dont want to promise stuff and than not deliver, so we do our best to make Underrail Great Again™

agris

Arcane
Patron
There wont be any bigger content patches before the expansion, most likely some tweaks and bug fixes here and there, but dont take my word to exact and its to soon to tell, we also dont want to promise stuff and than not deliver, so we do our best to make Underrail Great Again™
Fuck it, I'm going to start a new run.

epeli

Arcane
Hard to tell with all the JPG artifacts, but Nikola (the new 3D artist) seems to be doing a good job.

Somehow I have procured PNG versions of the announcement screenshots. Seems like it's my destiny to post a sharp PNG upscales of the critters.

But I still don't know what's with that poor dog. :? Is it a... crabhound?

XPy3mmn.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Cool, moar disgusting multi-legged creatures to set on fire. :flamesaw:

Seriously, though, a bit more variety in the fauna wouldn't hurt.

epeli

Arcane
Seriously, though, a bit more variety in the fauna wouldn't hurt.
Agreed and I doubt those crabs and spiders are all of it. But truth be told, I'm more curious about how they act in combat, what abilities they have and what can be crafted from their innards, rather than what they look like.

I just ended up posting that stuff twice since I found the .jpg elsewhere and then Mac_Orion shoved the PNGs my way after I made the JPG artifact comment.

With the new critters nigh, can we finally see the Siphoner Man?
Maybe.

How big will this be compared to the main game?
Looks like it'll be between one fifth or fourth of the main game. 100+ new areas compared to roughly 500 in the main game. For sense of scale, Deep Caverns is around 60 areas.

Black Angel

Arcane
With the new critters nigh, can we finally see the Siphoner Man?
Maybe.
Wait, by this, did you mean we can finally talk to/get quest from/involving/rape kill the Siphoner Man, or just plain see him? From the screenshot I gave, we can clearly see him there, and from Mac_Orion :salute:ing my post, I assume he confirmed my finding.

So, what shall it be?

epeli

Arcane
Black Angel I cannot confirm or deny any of that. What you saw was a weather balloon JPG artifact. Yup, definitely a hoax. There are no siphoner men unless you cosplay as one and there are no new siphoner-like creatures either! Maybe.

I have this weird dilemma where I want to talk about some of the nice things to come, but I should wait for devlogs to reveal them first. Or maybe Styg secretly wants me to leak things and that's why I'm "accidentally" getting XML dumps and debug logs listing tons of Expedition content even though I have no direct access to the expansion?

Black Angel

Arcane
Black Angel I cannot confirm or deny any of that. What you saw was a weather balloon JPG artifact. Yup, definitely a hoax. There are no siphoner men unless you cosplay as one and there are no new siphoner-like creatures either! Maybe.

I have this weird dilemma where I want to talk about some of the nice things to come, but I should wait for devlogs to reveal them first. Or maybe Styg secretly wants me to leak things and that's why I'm "accidentally" getting XML dumps and debug logs listing tons of Expedition content even though I have no direct access to the expansion?
Inb4, Styg blacklisted the Codex because you leaked stuff.

epeli

Arcane
Don't worry, he just needs to blacklist me from testers if I talk too much. :P But right now I'm channeling my hype into adding the expansion skills and feats to underrail.info.tm ... which leads to the same problem, now I have an update I can't publish in half a year. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom