Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus ex Vs Bloodlines

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Dayus Ex let you get more creative with boxes and things and wasn't on source engine. Also the melee combat was basic and shitty but still better than the janky third person combat of Bloodlines.

Deus Ex is a better game, but it's not an RPG. Bloodlines is a great RPG.
I'm curious what your definition of RPG is if Bloodlines is one and not Deus Ex.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
What's the use of this thread without a poll?

For me the better game is Deus Ex, and it isn't really even close, even though I of course like Bloodlines very much too.

The level design in DX is superior and consistently great, whereas Bloodlines teases you with some nice (although generally very small) levels early on and then never expands upon that, becoming something of a continuous downward spiral with the occasional highlight here and there. DX does lose a bit of its steam towards the end too, but it doesn't have any severe slumps, and the quality remains high all the way to the end. The better level design with more interactivity and freedom also lends for better gameplay, as even though Bloodlines does have many individual levels that are very atmospheric and memorable, it's a shame how linear and limited many of them are.

As far as the settings go, I'll come out and say it: WoD is stupid. Also, maybe I'm alone in this, but a gothic nightclub in Los Angeles would be the very last place on earth that I'd put a vampire into, unless you want to do comedy or parody. Vampires are horrific beings from European folklore, and probably the most effective way of killing everything that is interesting about them is to turn them into goth losers and LA hipsters. It's just an utterly retarded idea from the start, and Bloodlines deserves some credit for actually making it work. I still prefer DX, which similarly manages to weave tons of ridiculous stuff into its setting while still managing to play it straight.

The writing is good in both games, although Bloodlines probably has a bit of an edge because of its superior voice-acting and facial animations, both of which are some of the best I've seen in any game. Music-wise I think Deus Ex is superior of the two, although Bloodlines does have some decent city tracks.

In the end both games are fucking great, of course, but I always felt Bloodlines could've been so much better if the level design had even a tiny bit more Deus Ex in it.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
Bloodlines by virtue of not being cyberpunk. Hate them all you want but the newer Deus Ex at least have the virtue of keeping it low key like a futuristic thriller with some nice throw back aesthetics from the renaissance and what not. The older Sexes distastefully try to have unsettling writing and pseudo intellecto-philosophical nihilistic diarrhea that someone who could only make the cut as a video game writer shouldn't even dare to do, even remotely.

Bloodline has a comfortable goth urban fantasy setting that a young teenage girl like myself can appreciate.

KlauZ

Educated
Bloodlines has cinematic takedowns, so it obviously superior.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
You can't talk to a television or stop sign in Deus Ex.

I like both of them. Deus Ex is the more polished game, but I feel that Bloodborne could have been something greater.

superstepa

Novice
Deus Ex has better gameplay and level design.

Bloodlines has better writing and atmosphere. I think I'll have to give music/sound design to bloodlines too because the deb of night is just way too good.

I find it really hard to say that one of them is better than the other, they are both very close to being perfect in what they set out to do.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bloodlines all the way for me. Best setting representation in a game ever. Rarely do games achieve such good character building

Infinitum

Scholar
Deus Ex has better level design and exploration, bloodlines better presentation and story. Moment-to-moment gameplay is awful in both but then again you don't play them for the gunplay or vent crawling.

Neki

Scholar
Bloodlines First half EASILY beats Deus:ex
Deus:Ex beats the other half

BUT
Deus ex has better music(And also rolls more smoothly)

So Deus:Ex for the win.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's good in Bloodlines is so supernormally above Deus Ex's consistency that Deus Ex's consistency pretty much becomes irrelevant in comparison.

Consistency (even when representing a high level of craftsmanship and providing a significant amount of enjoyment) isn't really indicative of greatness or inspiration.

Thus Tim Cain/Troika games are the most inconsistent games from the Infinity Engine era and yet somehow also left the deepest impression in spite of their flaws.

Athelas

Arcane
What's good in Bloodlines is so supernormally above Deus Ex's consistency that Deus Ex's consistency pretty much becomes irrelevant in comparison.

Consistency (even when representing a high level of craftsmanship and providing a significant amount of enjoyment) isn't really indicative of greatness or inspiration.
How does that make sense? The good things in Bloodlines are the city hubs and NPC interaction, which are not the primary focus of Deus Ex. Conversely, the level design and interactivity of Deus Ex are not present in Bloodlines. They're games with very different strengths and weaknesses, which is why I find the premise of the thread questionable to begin with.

I don't know where you get the impression from that Deus Ex was less ambitious than Bloodlines.

Last edited:
Bloodlines had way too many slogs through seemingly endless hordes of dumb zombies or zombie like creatures, the combat kinda stunk and it wasn't hard. But Bloodlines had maybe the best character creation in a game, more than Arcanum possibly, because it offered significantly different play styles right from the start.

Vibalist

Arcane
How is this even a question. Deus Ex is obviously better. I'm surprised by this thread, tbh.

Bloodlines by virtue of not being cyberpunk. Hate them all you want but the newer Deus Ex at least have the virtue of keeping it low key

what

The older Sexes distastefully try to have unsettling writing and pseudo intellecto-philosophical nihilistic diarrhea that someone who could only make the cut as a video game writer shouldn't even dare to do, even remotely.

DX is obviously supposed to be over the top, like a comic book. There's nothing bad about this, it's merely a choice of style.
The new DX otoh, is silly because it tries to deal with the same themes as the first one, but is completely dead pan about it.

Bloodline has a comfortable goth urban fantasy setting that a young teenage girl like myself can appreciate.

Now things make sense.

Wesp5

Arcane
Of course Bloodlines is better in my opinion :), but what really makes me wonder is that several people praised Deus Ex for better level design! I know that DX basically started the multiple solution to quest approach which is indeed praiseworthy, but the level design wasn't that great in my opinion. Besides everything being basically too dark and bland, just compare the two versions of Chinatown in the two games, the multiple solution approach was done so unimaginative that the DX franchise is still suffering from it! There is always a vent when you need one. You can always come in via the roof or the basement. Most buildings look like they were actually designed to make multiple approaches possible, not like real world buildings would be. Compare that e.g. to the beachhouse map in Bloodlines...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom