Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Revision Mod

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.dx-revision.com/website/

What is Revision?
The Revision project overhauls the environments and soundtrack of the 2000 video game Deus Ex, developed by Ion Storm and published by Eidos Interactive (now Square Enix). Where other projects fill in detail around the edges of the game by tuning gameplay mechanics or improving textures, we focus on the visceral core of the experience, bringing new level design, aesthetic direction and world-building detail.

Does Revision include other content from the Deus Ex community?
Yes. We package high-resolution textures and detailed 3D models from the New Vision and HDTP projects. We also integrate the community-built Shifter and BioMod projects as alternate gameplay modes. Players will be able to choose their preferred gameplay style from the game settings menu prior to starting a new game.

What if I want to enjoy the new levels with the original soundtrack?
You can! The soundtrack is optional, and you can toggle between the two musical scores in real-time from the in-game menu.

What renderers will Revision use?
We include Chris Dohnal’s OpenGL and Direct3D 9 renderers. We feel that these offer the best combination of fast performance, clean visuals, and painless compatibility.​

So now this is rather interesting. It's basically a mod that incorporates all of the already existing graphics and other (like Shifter and BioMod, which are also optional) into one big package. So now instead of downloading each of the mods separately, you can now just do it all in one download. Now that is awesome (and way over-due). :salute:

They made a news post today saying this will be out very soon, and they have approached Square-Enix about this mod, and they have been supportive of this mod. So there shouldn't (hopefully) be any Cease and Desist problems.

Very curious to see what they did change level design wise. So maybe keep this on your radar if you are going to be in mood to play the one and only REAL Deus Ex in the future.

On STEAM only here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/?snr=1_7_15__13

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
I've been monitoring this mod for quite a long time now, can't wait til it gets released.:bounce:

Very curious to see what they did change level design wise. So maybe keep this on your radar if you are going to be in mood to play the one and only REAL Deus Ex in the future.

I've played a demo version a couple of years ago - they take the general layout of the vanilla levels and then expand it in terms of:
1. general size - each area is larger, and there is more to explore. But generally it's still the same map as before.
2. ways of navigating the level - adding new ways of getting to an objective, or changing and expanding the vanilla ones.
3. level detail - more various interactive and non-interactive bjects are placed on the level.

Plus, there is some rebalance of loot (where it could be found) and other pickups.
The game doesn't add or change the dialogues or core story bits. Some secondary lore might've been added, I don't remember.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thanks T. Reich! That actually sounds good, and adds a bit of fresh air to the game (whitout going batshit crazy). I will definitely give this a try when it is released.

I honestly don't believe it. I've been monitoring Revision since 2012-2013 and to finally see it nearing release brings one hell of a smile to my eye. Sadly, I don't believe it is compatible with GMDX at this moment, but hopefully, that may chance in the future. Despite that, it's always nice to see some life being breathed into a masterpiece. I'm preparing to put hundreds (most likely thousands) of more hours into Deus Ex once this is released.
:hype:

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Been waiting a very long time for this. Still think it will take a few months for release.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Argh. I've been going insane waiting for Revision to release. I usually do a playthrough of Deus Ex every 2-3 years, and the time is up. Seems like every announcement these guys have made over the last year is how it's near completion, but will be delayed, again.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Didn't know CyberP was this infamous among the crowd here. :P

Yeah, I do hope they actually release soon. I'm kind of burnt out by how many times they've promised infeasible release dates and have been all optimistic only to announce delays later. I'm also a bit skeptical over whether their levels will be any good, and the fanboy/girlism going on in their Moddb page, along with a bunch of angry people, really doesn't help matters.

Anyway, hoping to see this soon, along with some quality RPG Codex angry/positive reviews. ;)

Riskbreaker

Y'all know what would be really funny? Them announcing "final" release date instead of, you know, releasing their mod in a few days/weeks as most people seem to expect.

DraQ

Arcane
Boarding the hype train.

I'm usually not very forthcoming towards all sorts of HD packs, but DX just happens to be the kind of game that had excellently laid-out levels, excellent engine, but lack of ability to make proper use of this engine's features resulting in sometimes fugly assets and mostly crappy looking levels.
Replacing them with better looking versions while conserving everything else including level layouts? Count me in.
Didn't know CyberP was this infamous among the crowd here. :P
Eh. He just suffered from a particularly bad case of what appears to be modders' primary occupational hazard - delusional drama queen disorder.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've played the beta last year. Pretty nice work. Expanded levels, more enemies, new placement of enemies/loot, like treich said. No lore/story changes whatsoever.

Dev_Anj

Learned
They've got an update to their newspost. It's in response to some rumours being thrown around by people bored at ModDB.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-revision/news/releasing-soon1

[July 9 Update]

A few of you have been expressing concerns that Revision is related to Mankind Divided or will be a paid-for release. Neither of these things is the case- we have no involvement in the promotion of Mankind Divided, and have never considered making Revision a commercial product. We are not providing precise release dates for a pretty straightforward reason: We're holding some confidential talks with Square Enix to make sure everything is okay, and to make something cool happen, something that we aren't talking about yet, because it's not finalized yet. We've been having a series of back-and-forths to make sure that everybody on our team is happy. There are no real problems, just technicalities that have needed to be ironed out. At this point (July 9), we're expecting these things to be wrapped up shortly.

Everything is pretty much OK, and we're in a position where we have to talk to some people to make some things happen, and the timeline for making those things happen should be pretty fast, but is partially out of our control. All we ask of you is to please be patient.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
skeleton_desk.jpg

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fun fact: the original release date for Revision was one and a half years ago, but by then it wasn't finished before the deadline, then they had to add some new stuff, then they moved the release date, then they had to package it with some more mods, then they had to make some promo material, then they had to talk to S-E about Revision not getting C&D'd, then....

Dev_Anj

Learned
Hmm...

0QbUSeEi8dEkCGGxaPhmDTyUTeytUKZ_KK-ubp55z6J3Q9QS5Gvf5Y3mlSX4N6w5YHDWKVLT6j8ERi0wxSrv3PpIMkPJFFFKIToffLcxww-LsDNgbcT0yHXXvpmHcLOPNMg6ph0TH0Jsj0R5UbfO4VOUeYJENUiHFaDGb8G22qmEC3GWCJpX6Fg59FkzbBPnNLGXPeDRuw7kZntJlKtRGwYw0AzQvytRnQ1tQgE8ZM8c8m39Ayhd_MQabemQ2Qruml7C6wIcoEfE2u-DVNxvox5MlOHiYA7nQUZChJORyw1UdVOz28jv0kgXLFNRIkKPPAZ-NsMR7Au0RqWdIIKIgZZjaoCCuvFhdcrHTI9gm46KTPmS5Qlr2k4Zi3HsrW7Z2yuiA-9rRbKaSyd_MAtpuLlOAtZ6VhLZEGFMrkLp2vjJmyvyJSXkfF1vt5PPy5vMUECFb3q0lssPldvUDPnhG2ii4qfLZ9WnLQ2EbD-xdb950dUdkvmY4GdjtDb0asXAOznldpfi95sGYEiLsQgu2h1lsOpTdidKPUGeaPzmlJKkQIu2co9G_0c3-OXGzR9JLialKJRphteSfnWX2P9N6jY5Myiu37I1vG72-5Gc8FK-F-b9NFfGZb10A4Y=w1342-h547-l75-ft

"mesmod" is the password. Let me check it.

Oh wow, it does open the text file, and the text file has treasure! I mean it. Try it out!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom