Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Mods - a How to guide by Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
** Updated 10/11/2011 - Added New Vision 1.0 mod

Setting up Mods and getting Deus Ex running on Windows 7

Thankfully, getting Deus Ex up and running in Windows 7 is now a breeze! In this step by step guide I'll go into Installing, getting this to run in Windows 7, and then into optional (graphic and game-play) mods.

STEAM NOTE: The version of Deus Ex on Steam WILL NOT WORK AT ALL WITH MODS! FOr whatever fucking reason, Steam and Eidos made the main executable not compatible with any mods for Deus ex. That said, YOU CAN GET THE STEAM VERSION TO WORK WITH MODS. I will explain this in further detail later.

D2D VERSION USERS: Deus Exe is NOT compatible with the Direct2Drive version of the game. If you are using this version, nothing in this guide will help you. IT WILL NOT WORK WITH ANY OF THE MODS BELOW.

Installing

If you are one of the people, like me, that own the original CD of this game (I specifically have the GOTY edition), I had problems installing it from the CD. The solution for me that worked was, making a new directory on my Hard Drive named Deus Ex Install, and then copying all the contents of the Deus Ex CD to this new directory.

Then, in my Deus Ex Install directory on my hard drive, all you need to do is right click on the Setup.exe and select Run as administrator option (if you don't do this, it will more than likely lock up while uncompressing the files and hang forever).

Now that Deus Ex is installed (but it will NOT work yet) we just need to download 2 files.

** It is at this point I'll make a suggestion that you make a complete backup of your Deus Ex directory. In my case, I have Deus Ex installed to my G:\DeusEx directory. Since I have shitloads of free space on my Hard Drive, this is just a nice option in-case something goes wrong, and you can very quickly delete the files in your G:\DeusEx directory, and then restore them from your copied directory, instead of having to completely re-install the game again. **

Getting Deus Ex working with Windows 7

Thanks to awesome programming dude, Marijn Kentie and his website http://kentie.net/ he has made this VERY easy now. Seriously, this dude deserves the praise and thanks. He already provides a simple guide to setting up Deus Ex in modern systems but I will be doing the same thing, but will discuss some other topics as well.

First, you will need the latest Deus Ex executable that Marijn made here.
Second you will also need to download the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 runtimes. Most people will not have this already installed. Even if you do, installing this again, won't break anything.
And lastly, since we are using Windows 7 we will also download the latest Direct3D 10 renderer here

First, run the vcredist_x86.exe (which is the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 runtimes), and install that.

Now un-zip the DeusExe-v3.zip file, and place the DeusEx.exe from this zip into your DeusEx\System\ folder. When you copy this file to your DeusEx\System\ folder, you will get a "There is already a file with this same name in this location" prompt. Just select the Copy and Replace option and you are good. If you do NOT get this pop up, then you are putting it in the wrong directory.

Next, un-zip your d3d10drv-v27.zip file somewhere. Once you do that, locate the directory named DeusEx and insde that you will see a folder and 2 files (The folder is named d3d10drv and the 2 files named d3d10drv.dll and D3D10Drv.int). Copy these 2 files and the directory, and copy them to your DeusEx\System\ folder.

STEAM USER NOTES: Follow the above directions, but your DeusEx\System\ folder is usually located at: [Drive you have Steam Installed]:\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Deus Ex\System\ folder. ALSO NOTE, that by using this new executable, your Steam Deus Ex will now work with mods, Because we are no longer using the Steam DeusEx.exe.

Starting Up and Configuring Deus Ex

Now that we have the new DeusEx.exe and the Direct3D 10 renderer files, we just now need to do a few steps and configure a few things.

Now lets start up Deus Ex (by clicking on the DeusEx.exe). and you should see this:

ScreenShot284.jpg

Then change any of these settings to whatever you like:

1stconfig.png

** I recommend the non-scaling GUI option so the main menu options are not gigantic and annoying. And I would also suggest you leave everything on the default settings, except for what resolution you want and Field of View.

Then click on the OK Button. Then click on Play and there you go! That is it! You now will be playing Deus ex with a renderer designed with Direct X 10 and has some default video options that will make Deus Ex look sweet (like 4x Anti-Aliasing, which is the default).

If you want to mess around with some of the Advanced Features of this, then keep reading.

Advanced Video Options

Most of the default video options will be just fine for most users. If you however want to change any of them, you just need to do the following:

1. From the Main Menu when you start the game press the t key.
2. You will see the words Say at the bottom left of your screen. Just hit backspace to delete the word Say, and now type the word preferences like this:

prefs.png

and then press enter.

You should now see the Advanced Options Menu:

ScreenShot295.jpg

Now just click on the +Rendering and then the +Direct3D 10 Support. And then change anything you want. The picture above are all of the default options (EXCEPT I did change VSynch to False, as it causing me problems with mouse lag). A full listing of what all these options do are at Kentie's site.

Also do note, going to this Advanced Options screen, places the game in a windowed mode. So after making any changes, just press the red x at the top right of the Advanced Options window and close it. Then just click on exit from the Main Menu of Deus Ex, and re-start the game to go back to full-screen.

And that's it. If you do not like mods, or any changes to your Deus Ex experience then go ahead and play. I will now continue on with some mods.

Some Deus Ex Mods

HDTP Project

Due to NO updates in FIVE YEARS and the vast exact instructions to make it work with various mods is rather complicated, I'll get to this some day. You can keep checking here for an update someday. r00fles!

There IS a way to get it to work with all the mods I list below, but the process involved it quite lengthly, so maybe I'll explain it some day.........

New Vision Mod

Next up, the New Vision mod updates a LOT of the wall textures, signs, and objects. It is pretty damn sweet! Download it here.

Next un-zip the NewVision1.0.zip somewhere, and open that directory up. You will see 3 directories. Copy the directory named NVTextures to your DeusEx\ directory. Go to your DeusEx\System directory. There is a file called DeusEx.ini. Open that file up. You will find a section in there with the following:

Code:
[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx

change it so it looks like this:

Code:
[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=30
SavePath=..\Save
CachePath=..\Cache
CacheExt=.uxx
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx

Notice the line with Paths=..\NVTextures\*.utx is ABOVE (and it must be above) the line "Paths=..\Textures\*.utx". Save this.

And that's it. We are done!

Shifter

You either love or just fucking hate this mod. It's hilarious the amount of butthurt this one mod can cause. That said, you can read what it changes here. Though the README in the latest version will have more up to date changes. You can download Shifter here.

If you do NOT like the Shifter mod, stop reading now and head down to the last chapter (butthurt detected).

Un-zip your Shifter mod zip file somewhere, and open that directory. There are 2 files (DeusEx.int and DeusEx.u). Copy both of these files and paste them into your DeusEx\System directory. You will get a pop-up window and Just select the Copy and Replace option.

That is it, you are all done!

Deus Ex Enhanced

I do not reccomend this mod as the current 2.0 version all the UI elements are GIGANTIC and it looks like fucking shit, so just leaving the link to it in hope the 2.1 version will some day come out.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced/downloads/

The Last Chapter - Advanced Video Options

If you decided to install the New Vision mod, the only change you will need to make is:

1. From the Main Menu when you start the game press the t key.
2. You will see the words Say at the bottom left of your screen. Just hit backspace to delete the word Say, and now type the word preferences like this:

prefs.png

and then press enter.

You should now see the Advanced Options Menu:

ScreenShot295.jpg

Now just click on the +Rendering and then the +Direct3D 10 Support. Change the BumpMapping to True. And that's it!

Now go enjoy Deus Ex!!

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/dxfix.zip

Includes the OTPUI fix and allows for widescreen resolutions and FOV.

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Direct3D 10 renderer for Unreal Engine games. Allows for autoscaled FOV for widescreen resolutions, and enables all graphics settings (detailed textures, 32 bit color, etc.) by default. Use OTPUI separately. Obviously works only with DX10 cards in Vista/7.

You can also use the Direct3D 9 renderer in the link Jaesun gave. I can't use the OpenGL renderer because it makes the game run too fast. This doesn't have the features I listed above for D3D10, but still looks nice. The renderer disables shiny surfaces by default, though. You'll have to reenable it in the preferences menu if you want it back.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
I use the Shifter mod myself, It's got some good stuff in it.

Although the
skull gun
was a bit of a let-down when I finally found it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rabidredneck said:
I use the Shifter mod myself, It's got some good stuff in it.

Although the
skull gun
was a bit of a let-down when I finally found it.

Yea that was mainly added for the lulz factor. Not to be used seriously. I laughed. :)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If the OpenGL renderer makes things run too fast, enable Vsync ("SwapInterval=1" in the ini file) and set the correct refreshrate. Solved it for me.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I had problems with the OpenGl renderer while the Direct3D9 worked flawlessly. You can find it the the same page as the OpenGL renderer that is in the first post.

ENBseries should also be mentioned it can really make DeusEX look amazing with the lighting affects and bump mapping. link : http://boris-vorontsov.narod.ru/download_en.htm

There is another mod called Revision that has released a demo and it's close to be finished. It looks very interersting: http://www.dx-revision.com/

As for separate mods/total conversions of DX, Zodiac : http://www.planetdeusex.com/zodiac/ and The Nameless Mod : http://www.thenamelessmod.com/ are worth a try.

Some people are also trying to port DX to the UT2004 engine : http://dxr.deusexgaming.com/?category=about

EDIT: there is a modified pack of the HDTP and the ENBSeries with some nice looking results, called ultra HQ mod. You can find it here : http://www.helderpinto.com/blog/persona ... d-v01.html

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thanks for the links Rohit_N, and ghostdog!

I have never heard of the ENBseries mod. Damn... now I will have to give that a try.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Okay, so if I download ultra HQ mod, I only need "new vision" then? Not the "enhanced open gl" in the first post?

Also, what about revision mentioned? Anyone tried it? good?

edit: also, is new vision compatible with ultra HQ mod? I dont want to download 900mb only to find out there are two start-up exes or something.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
don_tomaso said:
Okay, so if I download ultra HQ mod, I only need "new vision" then? Not the "enhanced open gl" in the first post?

Also, what about revision mentioned? Anyone tried it? good?

edit: also, is new vision compatible with ultra HQ mod? I dont want to download 900mb only to find out there are two start-up exes or something.
Yes you only need new vision. And yes they are compatible.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I could not get that ENB Series driver to work, as upon starting Deus Ex I get this:

This application has failed to start because d3dx9_40.dll was not found.

??

I have DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Am I possibly using an older version of Direct X?

EDIT: Updating to the latest DirectX 9 end user runtime solved the problem. yay!

RazerOvBlight

Novice
not using openGL

What if Im using the ENB mod instead of OpenGL? I had some issues with these mods and 32bit textures but i reinstalled and its now working. Are there any textures for the people or any other objects? In my HTDP demo both objects looks the same

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Re: not using openGL

RazerOvBlight said:
What if Im using the ENB mod instead of OpenGL? I had some issues with these mods and 32bit textures but i reinstalled and its now working. Are there any textures for the people or any other objects? In my HTDP demo both objects looks the same

Enbseries and the opengl renderer are different things. You need either the opengl or the d3d9 renderer to use the enbseries. See here : http://boris-vorontsov.narod.ru/download_en.htm

Nostradumbass

Scholar
thank you for this guide, mr gay man. i'm now getting back into the game. cant believe how much time i spent on the first mission alone.. not because of difficulty (tho i am playing on realistic), but because there was just so much to do (i like to do EVERYTHING).

i knocked out every person on that level, not a single kill, and no enemy fired a single shot at me. one to one encounters had me using the baton behind the enemy's back, and if I ever encountered two together, I'd use the tranq gun on them both, then go hide somewhere (before they had a chance to find me and shoot back). Was pretty cool. got all the "secrets" and stuff like that too. once i took out all the human enemies, i threw a crate of TNT at the enemy robot outside (quickly ducking behind cover to avoid damage). all in all, quite well done.

Severian Silk

I'm having trouble with the controls, specifically with crouching. Are there any better movement control schemes from other games you would recommend?

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The control scheme was good for me, except I made crouch toggled so that I could move left and back comfortably.

Cassidy

Arcane
Assnuggets said:
I'm having trouble with the controls, specifically with crouching. Are there any better movement control schemes from other games you would recommend?

I always have used a combo of Unreal/Half-Life controls in First Person Shooters whenever possible. CTRL for crouching, arrow keys for moving forward/backwards and strafing and mouse for turning around and aiming.

And I know many people like WASD, but I prefer the arrow keys and play better with them than with those keys.

RatFink

Educated
Cassidy said:
Assnuggets said:

I always have used a combo of Unreal/Half-Life controls in First Person Shooters whenever possible. CTRL for crouching, arrow keys for moving forward/backwards and strafing and mouse for turning around and aiming.

And I know many people like WASD, but I prefer the arrow keys and play better with them than with those keys.

where did you put jump then?
i mean especially in half life your hands are perfectly positioned for the crouch-jump if you play wasd and put jump on space.

i mean it is possible..when i played half life the first time i also had the arrow keys and had to switch my right hand from the mouse to the keyboard to perform that jump+the jumppack jump...jumppack jump..sounds stupid...

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Kentie, creator of the DX10 renderer,has now made a .exe to make setting up Deus Ex easier.
My only problem with it is that it places Deus Ex's config files in your My Documents folder. If you plan to install a mod that relies on your Deus Ex settings, copy the files (DeusEx.ini and User.ini) back to your System directory. I know the Cassandra Project and Redsun 2020 copy DeusEx.exe, but the Deus Exe functionality doesn't work for mods since it doesn't modify the correct .inis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom