Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

J1M

Arcane
Yes, DX:HR had some cuts with regards to locations but that is fairly normal for game development. See: Deus Ex moon base.

Pretty sure those rumors were bullshit and it was explained that the moniker was intended as a reference to the entire collection of branded items including books, comics, viral videos, fake websites, PC games, ipad games, and clothing line.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There's a "former aug" character in DX:HR, Zeke Sanders: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Ezekiel_Sanders

He was taken into medical custody at the Neuroprosthetic Rehabilitation Center near Camp Topaz, Utah. Six months later Sanders was declared cured and released.

Maybe they'll use the excuse that removing augs requires a lengthy and highly expensive treatment out of most people's reaches (and also too expensive for governments to fund on a mass scale), turning it into a kind of class identity thing.
Dunno if I'd phrase that as an 'excuse' as it seems like a fairly logical explanation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These people are insufferable.

That's what Youtube is for.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – Breach is an innovative game mode, included for free with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. This new take on the game offers, for the very first time, an arcade approach on the gameplay of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, providing players with a connected puzzle shooter experience. As a Ripper, a hacker in the year 2029, your objective is to obtain and sell highly classified corporate data by infiltrating some of the world’s most secure servers, using the funds you acquire to upgrade both your skills and arsenal.
As you play, the rewards you earn, including XP, credits, and booster packs, will allow you to face the increasing difficulty of the game. Challenge yourself, your friends, and people from around the world in the ultimate Deus Ex arcade twist. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – Breach is a live game mode, introducing new challenges and features by rolling out updates on a regular basis.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is coming August 23rd, 2016 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. #CantKillProgress

Square Enix strikes again! PowerTorment

Also lolwtf:

Deus Ex GO is a turn-based infiltration puzzle game set in a stylized interpretation of the Deus Ex Universe. As double agent Adam Jensen, you’ll use hacking, combat, and augmentations to solve the most challenging puzzles of the entire GO series. Work alongside your allies in TF29 and the Juggernaut Collective as you infiltrate locations to unravel the conspiracy behind a terrorist plot.
Deus Ex GO is coming this summer on phones and tablets.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Fucking popamole gameplay and Deus Ex defilement makes me want to punch through a wall. Still will buy the game just like every other idiot because it's somewhat worthwhile and there's little that is even remotely good these days. A bad Deus Ex game is still a somewhat good game.

On a more positive note that HUB looks very nice.

"Crafting parts (20)" :/

Generic, and representative of the game designers themselves.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This isn't actually the first time Deus Ex has had an "arcade gameplay mode". How many people remember Deus Ex's multiplayer?

EDIT: More random nonsense:

Open Bionics, Eidos-Montréal and Razer are working together to bring Deus Ex inspired augmentations to life. The three companies will partner up to help bridge the gap between fiction and reality, working together to design, 3D print, scan, power, and create affordable bionic hands.
This “Augmented Future” initiative will combine the expertise of each company, with the ultimate goal being to make fashionable robotic prosthesis accessible to a larger audience.
For more information, visit www.augmentedfuture.com.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
The advertising line pushing the aug racism theme might be seriously underplayed by the actual game. I remember that HR had big sections of the game that went right back to genuine Deus Ex illuminati shit (like that secret underground bunker under CNN where they decided what the real news was gonna be). In that world big philosophical differences and belief movements are always 100% fake and manipulative and only your paranoid protagonist can navigate the lies by hacking 50 thousand desktops.

Ash

Arcane
It really pisses me off that gameplay must be so compromised. The clearly don't compromise their storytelling vision, nor the art direction and the like, but then again they probably think crappy cover shooting, generic crafting, little interactivity and the like are actually good things. The lead designer after all was responsible for Rainbow 6: Vegas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-new-online-challenge-mode-microtransactions

Deus Ex Mankind Divided gets microtransactions as part of its new online challenge mode
Did you ask for this?

Eidos Montreal's follow-up to 2011's Deus Ex: Human Revolution is to introduce an all-new challenge mode, featuring self-contained levels, leaderboards and booster packs which can be bought via microtransactions.

Dubbed Breach, it's being developed by a team within Eidos Montreal who will be supporting the mode after Deus Ex: Mankind Divided comes out this August, with new maps and weapons due to release for free.

"We've been wanting to give something on top of the main game for a while," Fleur Marty, producer on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided told Eurogamer. "We've been thinking what kind of experience we could offer the players. We thought that, with all the systems, the core pillars of Deus Ex, if you could forget for the minute the credible set-ups that are heavy on level design, if you could just take the systems and put them in little bite-sized abstract levels and have fun with them, it could be something."

Breach's levels are contextualised within the Deus Ex universe by taking place in VR-inspired space - giving them an aesthetic similar to Metal Gear Solid's own VR missions - with the player hacking into various corporations from the game's own fiction. They're short levels focussed on various objectives - such as data extraction, enemy elimination and data fragment collection - and come complete with online leaderboards.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided Breach mode
186x100
186x100
186x100

Card packs with modifiers and boosters are also available, which feels partly like a nod to Netrunner, and mostly feels like an appropriation of the collectable card game fad that's infected countless games in recent years.

"It makes sense to us - when you're going to play Breach, a lot of players will experience it after the main game," explained Marty. "They'll have their own playstyle, their favourite weapons - but with the booster packs, maybe they won't get their favourite weapon right away, it'll come later, so they'll have a chance to experiment."

As for those microtransactions, Marty says they'll be sensitively handled. "It's going to be light, because we want players to be able to go through the game without spending any money. There'll be booster packs you can buy with real money, that'll allow you to better the odds, and some cosmetic ones too."

As for the Mankind Divided, a brief demo of two previously revealed levels - Dubai and Prague - showed a game that's very similar in feel to Human Revolution. Gameplay director Patrick Fortier outlined the areas where Eidos Montreal has improved upon the 2011 original.

"We've been trying to tweak and polish a lot of the mechanics," he told Eurogamer. "The onus is the same, but we're trying to express it a little differently. You could jump before, but now you have a ledge grab. Everything's been modified under the hood in the way the camera moves, the effects, the control schemes. The cover system's been thoroughly reviewed - you've now got cover forward, so you can paint the environment and head where you want to, so you can move cover to cover and that completely changes the map."

Mankind Divided also allows for a more fluid transition between different styles of play. "In Human Revolution it was take cover or die," said Fortier. "It was like, play how you want, but if it doesn't happen to be stealth, good luck. That felt wrong -the promise is freedom, and we have to support it either way."

As to what will make Mankind Divided stand out from competition like Dishonored 2, the action stealth game directed by Harvey Smith, one of the designers on the original Deus Ex, Cortier provided a compelling explanation.

"A lot of games, they take a stab at the freedom, but not necessarily of the consequence. It's the consequence of the choice that really makes it interesting -then you have to see the effects of your actions in the world, because you know it's something that's going to carry on in the world. That's a key part of playing Deus Ex. You have to think about things that you don't have to think about in other games."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/08/deus-ex-mankind-divided-breach-preview/

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’s Transhuman Future Feels Too Cautious For Comfort

mankheader.jpg

Shower scenes seldom Make You Think, unless it’s about what exactly you’re getting for that Premium Netflix subscription, but if anything sticks out for me about the impressive yet oddly unexciting Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site], it’s the sight of Adam Jensen washing his hair. Eidos Montreal’s latest presentation begins in Jensen’s new Prague apartment – a casually affluent man-den where you can phone other characters, watch newscasts that track your decisions through the story, answer emails, tinker with crafting resources, and generally get acquainted with the sleek, cadaverous sort-of-human in your charge.

As in Human Revolution, this adds a welcome domestic dimension to a protagonist otherwise defined by his ability to hide from people, sweet-talk them or blow them to pieces. We see Jensen wake, activate his own heads-up display with a groggy command, swing his gleaming kneecaps out of bed and pad across a dim expanse of consumables, standby lights and the Renaissance oil paintings so beloved of Eidos Montreal’s artists. We see him trot into the bathroom and turn on the tap, and for the first time since I laid eyes on Mankind Divided back in early 2015, it feels like all that talk about the precarity of identity in a cybernetic world is coming to a head.

mank1.jpg

Does Jensen, a person who can transform his own skin to imperceptible gauze with a thought, really need to shower? Won’t he, you know, rust? Less frivolously, does Jensen actually have genitals these days (the cutscene camera refrains from filling in the picture) and what are the implications of that, exactly? Deus Ex’s lead identifies as male, but in all those years as the owner of a partly robotic, highly customisable body, hasn’t he ever thought twice? Is gender a matter of the body you inhabit, anyway? In posing these ideas I’m betraying all sorts of assumptions and prejudices, but then again, being made aware of your own biases is a mark of skilled, socially engaged storytelling. Before leaving the shower, Jensen pauses to wipe the condensation from a single square of glass – a delicate, introspective gesture that speaks to a universe of uncertainty, on either side of the screen.

It’s only a moment, though – soon forgotten in a familiar whirl of gunplay, stealth, hacking and oratorical duelling, as Jensen works his way through and around Prague to rescue a friend from some remarkably humourless gangsters. Mankind Divided’s trailers make much play of the game’s relevance to anxieties about the convergence of flesh and tech, but as with many a topical blockbuster, there’s a certain timidity in practice, a tendency to treat on these subjects in safer, generalising terms.

mank2.jpg

The question of what gender really amounts to when the body you’re born with is entirely malleable, for example. “It’s not something that we’ve really touched on yet, definitely,” acknowledges Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, executive art director. “In terms of what this would bring in a transhuman world. But it’s all interlinked anyway. What we talk about is what it means to human – when do you stop being human, can you stop being human? Is it really your fleshbag that makes you human, or is it what’s in your head – your consciousness, your memories and experiences.

“And the answer is in the soup, when you play Mankind Divided or Human Revolution. Like I said, maybe the specific question of gender isn’t present yet, but this idea of transforming oneself, taking evolution out of nature, or away from religion and theology, and then controlling it yourself through technology, is what we’re looking at. And yeah, if you look at gender change, it’s the technology, when the switch is almost complete, and I have two friends that have done it, male to female – what allows them to do what they’ve done is technology.”

It must be difficult, I suggest, to explore such topics through the lens of a million-dollar triple-A game, with all the associated commercial and production pressures. “Especially with the dialogue you hear in the industry, from videogame fans or whoever,” Jacques-Belletête agrees. “I don’t want to go into this, but it’s a tough time – it seems like it’s a time where intelligence is rarer and rarer! And our industry seems – I don’t know if it’s because I know it better than other industries, but it really seems to be showing. You hear it in the discourse.”

mank3.jpg

If Deus Ex’s portrait of a society transformed by the rise of cybernetics shies away from certain of the implications, Mankind Divided’s backdrop is promisingly layered. Set two years after Human Revolution, it presents a world in which mechanically augmented people are a segregated underclass, resented for their enhanced capabilities and feared for their vulnerability to behaviour-changing hacks – a vulnerability that was exploited so disastrously at the end of the previous game.

That mix of potency and weakness to coercion channels the old bourgeoisie dread of a susceptible, overwhelming proletariat, easily misled by agitators with the gift of the gab, but augs are branded “deviants” in a number of senses. The recent “Mechanical Apartheid” trailer includes advertising shots of female athletes and models showing off their prosthetic limbs amid newsreel chat of “unnatural” behaviour and “playing god”, conjuring up a long, dismal history of reaction to women doing what they like with their own flesh.

mank4.jpg

Like its predecessor, the game is also alert to the dystopian potential of a future in which limbs and organs are manufactured and licensed. The augmented may enjoy superhuman strength, speed or perception, but they’re caught in a web of intellectual property rights, their innards the legal belongings of companies who may enforce compliance by withholding the drugs that keep implants running. I’m not sure you could ask for a timelier work of the imagination, in an age when so many of us are content for corporations to own our personal data, vital services and, via the mechanisms of credit, the fruits of our labours. There’s even corporate ownership of the genetic structure of our food.

Still, how much of this is just scraping the headlines for plot points? Mankind Divided’s depiction of cultures in thrall to oligarchs and tyrants may be intricate and occasionally provocative, but it’s also prone to cliché – the impassive enforcer in a craggy bodysuit; the buzzing police quadrotor drone; the scrawny downtrodden in a scruffy hoodie, queueing at the checkpoint. It feels like there’s more work to be done. I’ve yet to come across a mission or story in Eidos Montreal’s universe that compares, for example, to how CD Projekt transforms the archetype of an ostracised werewolf in one early mission from The Witcher 3.

I’m also not yet blown away by how Mankind Divided handles, though Eidos Montreal has made a number of worthwhile improvements. It’s the same rough template as in Human Revolution, but faster, angrier, much more amenable to vertical exploration, and with more cohesion between styles. Jensen is still an ultra-customisable hybrid of tank, ninja, keyboard whiz and private detective, capable of reaching an objective or resolving an encounter loudly, quietly, violently or peacefully, but he’s now able to flow around cover, scuttle between hidey-holes on auto-pilot by aiming and tapping a button, and tweak his capabilities (e.g. by modifiying weapons) without breaking off to a menu screen.

mank5.jpg

Environments once again afford a number of routes, geared towards certain combinations of augmentations and tactics – you might punch through a wall to avoid a patrol, providing you’ve installed the rebreather that lets you pass through the gas trap on the other side. But there’s more emphasis on acrobatic traversal and getting the drop on people, thanks to a new aerial dash augmentation and a last known position indicator that makes flanking small pockets of AI a cakewalk. Taking down everybody non-lethally needn’t be the placid exercise it was in Human Revolution, providing you’ve equipped a set of electric knuckle darts. And should you find yourself in the firing line, there’s now an aug that coats Jensen’s torso in bulletproof chrome.

How exactly you deploy Jensen’s skillset has ramifications for the story – a stealthy player might reach a secondary objective that has a bearing on a subsequent mission, while a Jensen who inclines towards heavy ordnance barges straight through. This generally rewarding campaign dynamic had its downsides in Human Revolution, as you were obliged to turn your nose up at large swathes of the arsenal if you wanted to explore particular outcomes. Mankind Divided has a solid if uninspired answer to that, though, in the shape of the new Breach Mode.

Dressed up in a familiar crystalline holodeck aesthetic, it’s essentially the Deus Ex take on Call of Duty’s Spec Ops mode – a series of one-off, combat-puzzle scenarios where you’re free to try out the game’s spread of augs and weapons without tripping over the storyline. The overall goal? Hack into the Palisade Bank, a fat warren of corporate secrets, roam its circuitry in first-person, disable or avoid “security programmes” (read: guards and turrets), and exfiltrate with some juicy data. What does juicy data get you? Credits to spend on weapons, gizmos and upgrades. What else does juicy data get you? A leaderboard placing and hopefully, the envy of your friends.

mank6.jpg

It’s a familiar way of expanding a game’s premise, bolted together as much for the sake of creating another vector for post-release updates, microtransactions (which include cards you can buy to modify each level’s challenges) and DLC packs as anything else. But it’s a sensible step towards making Deus Ex, the most storied of IPs, more of a sociable, pick-up-and-play game – the kind of thing you dip into on your lunchbreak because your level score has just been quashed by some gloating colleague on Twitter.

At the same time, in stripping away the fiction Breach Mode also makes plain that Mankind Divided isn’t doing anything particularly out of the ordinary – every one of its tricks and tactics has an echo in Dishonored, the Splinter Cell series and Eidos Montreal’s own Thief, to name a few peers or rivals. Jonathan Jacques-Belletête concedes of some enhancements that the aim is more to create momentum within Human Revolution’s existing skillset than shoot for the horizon. “The verticality thing is something we’ve worked on, but it’s not what our marketing is based on – nowhere does it say ‘come play this game because we’re the best ones at making you climb a ladder, jump from one balcony to another’. What we’re saying is that within the metrics of what a Deus Ex experience is, we’ve added this extra layer.”

He does, nonetheless, envisage plenty of room for more drastic experimentation within the much-vaunted Deus Ex Universe – an umbrella brand that extends from comicbooks and novel adaptations to the just-announced Deus Ex Go, another touchscreen puzzle-board offering from Square Enix Montreal to go along with the Hitman and Lara Croft variants. It’s unlikely that Eidos Montreal will hand off the main series to another studio, but the door is seemingly wide open to spin-offs, providing they fit the overarching narrative.

mank7.jpg

“I think you could do pretty much any type of game with it. If you have a proper world, a proper lore [basis] that you’ve worked on, you know how its gears function, I think you could do anything. You could make a Deus Ex racing game! Honestly, once you start brainstorming you could have some XCOM-styled turn-based strategy, you could have a great partly open world side-scrolling game like Shadow Complex. I don’t think there’s any limit, really. I would have a blast transferring this property to any type of gameplay. The lore is there, the world is there, the aesthetic is there. It’s all about how you make it fit the mold. I’d start that tomorrow, if I could.”

Starting sooner rather than later may be advisable. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided looks to tick every box its predecessor did, and the streamlining of the relationship between infiltration, exploration and battle is nicely judged thus far, but it’s rather telling that the thing I recall most vividly from my hour or two with the game is that thoughtful spell in the shower. Deus Ex offers up a lavish fiction – the art direction, as ever, brilliantly expresses social tensions in how it melds or bashes together a range of period influences. But it has yet to really capture my attention and rock my preconceptions, whether in terms of how I sneak and shoot, or as regards the overlap between its fraught, messy world and ours.

Ash

Arcane

I've no problem with arcade challenges, multiplayer and the like as long as it is developed after the main game is fulfilled, and is independent of that experience. Though microtransactions are obviously massive decline, but what else is new these days...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.pcgamer.com/hands-on-with-deus-ex-mankind-divideds-powerful-augs-and-new-arcade-mode/

Hands on with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's powerful augs and new arcade mode
Get an eyeful of Adam Jensen's abilities, and learn about DX's new challenge mode.

Somehow, Adam Jensen stabbing people with giant retractable forearm spikes, turning himself into a giant fragmentation grenade, and stuffing a dozen dead police officers into an air duct hasn't led to a warm and fuzzy future where people completely trust augmented humans. In fact, even if you played Deus Ex: Human Revolution as a kinder, less-lethal Jensen than I did, the cyborg situation is pretty grim. In Mankind Divided, augmented humans have been, well, divided. They've segregated from the rest of the population after the "Aug Incident" in which their implants took over and turned them into rampaging killing machines.

Thanks, Illuminati.

I recently got a little playtime with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and even more recently I was sent some in-game footage. Instead of very quickly adding a track of my droning narration, I pulled out some animated gifs so you can take a peek at Adam Jensen's augs, some new and improved, some just plain new.

And, further down, I'll tell you about Breach, DXHR's new arcade challenge mode. First though: augs!

Smartvision
Jensen's wall-penetrating vision system is back, letting him spot enemies through obstructions. This enhanced vision has been further enhanced, as you can see above, actually detailing what weapons, ammo, and loot each enemy is holding.

Now you can make informed decisions about whether or not you want to risk incapacitating/brutally killing someone based on what kind of loot you'll receive as a result, and presumably target characters who may be carrying items you need to progress through restricted areas.

Remote hacking
Well, everything is wireless nowadays. With this aug, Adam doesn't need to scuttle over to a terminal and start tapping keys, he can keep his metal hands clean and hack security devices, like one of the drones above, from a distance. I also saw footage of him disabling a security camera from across a room.

Maybe it's just me, but the remote hacking aug feels a teeny bit OP. Half the fun is safely slithering your way to the terminal in the first place, right? If I can do it from across the room, I'm afraid I'm just going to get lazy, the same way I use an app on my phone to change TV channels if the remote control is a few feet out of reach.

Sharp-eyed viewers may have also noticed Jensen's arm turn into a PEPS cannon at the end to deal with the second drone. I'm definitely okay with that aug.

Icarus Dash
Here's another new aug that feels like Jensen is turning into some sort of arcane wizard instead of just a gloomy robot. The Icarus Dash is essentially a cross between a grappling hook—which all games are now required to have by law—and Corvo Attano's blink ability. Look up at a ledge, summon a little battery power, and swoosh, Jensen is whisked to his destination.

Take another look below.

I won't go as far as to say it's a complete stretch—Jensen can become invisible, after all, so he's at least a science wizard—but it does, again, worry me that rather than painstakingly skulking my way through a level I'll start blipping around it like Nightcrawler.

I am definitely looking forward to using it as an exploration tool, though. Deus Ex has always been great about hiding little secrets and tidbits around its levels, and this will be an excellent way to search for them. Also, an excellent way to get high above people's heads, for the following:

Icarus Strike
In DX:HR, the Icarus Landing was an enjoyable, almost ridiculously angelic way to prevent fall damage—and if you were feeling devilish it could also be used to stun any bystanders rude enough to loiter in your landing zone.

The Icarus Strike feels considerably more vicious, what with the blood flying out of that soldier and all, but as the Merciful Soul XP indicator popping up indicates, it's still a non-lethal move. Plummeting down like a rocket and punching the pavement so hard with your metal fist that half of a man's blood just falls out of him? It's non-lethal. Somehow.

Tesla arm
Speaking of non-lethal, there are plenty of options for players who want to leave bruises instead of tombstones. Jensen's stungun is naturally available, and melee takedowns can still be non-lethal.

Above, you can see another option: the nifty Tesla arm weapon, which can target up to four different opponents and zap them simultaneously. Jensen will also have access to gas grenades, good for incapacitating groups of enemies.

Titan shield
We first saw this aug at the end of the original trailer, as Jensen covered himself with, I don't know, robot crystals? Here it is in-game. I personally think it looks kind of silly the way the stuff just covers him from head to toe: I wish it looked more like some sweet futuristic armor instead of turning Jensen into a weird black fuzzy featureless shape.

No matter. I know I'm going to be using it the Titan Shield constantly since I screw up stealth a lot and wind up having tons of gunfights as a result. Being able to completely cover myself with diamond-hard crystals at a moment's notice is going to be a must.

Casie
Casie—the Computer Assisted Social Interaction Enhancer, which helped you navigate conversations and even analyzed pheromones to provide you with additional dialogue options—is back! Here's a little look at the targeting of personality types and dialogue options you can use to manipulate the people you talk to.

One note: you'd think it would list 'incredibly patient' as one of this guy's personality traits, seeing how he's just standing there politely waiting for you to decide what to say.

Speaking of augs, Adam Jensen isn't the only one who has them, and in Mankind Divided, Jensen isn't the only character you'll get to play. There's a new game mode in which you play a hacker fighting your way through a virtual security system. It's called Breach.

Deus Ex: Breach

Breach is a connected mode launched from the main menu (you don't play it while you're running around as Jensen). It's a stylized arcade mode with online leaderboards and score challenges: players tackle a series of maps filled with AI defenses, using stealth, weapons, and augs to bypass security and steal data. It works essentially the same way as a level in the base game, though as you can see from the screens it's a departure visually.

The backstory for Breach is that VR technology, originally used to help people suffering from PTSD, has been acquired by hackers who now use it to virtually infiltrate the world's most secure data facility which houses a number of different corporations. While you're not Jensen, your VR avatar will have augs. Before you play a map, you have to choose your aug loadout, and you're limited by how many abilities you can bring with you. You can see the trailer below.

While some augs are the same ones Jensen uses, others are new and a bit more playful, such as a multi-jump aug which lets you double and even triple-jump. There are also abilities you can apply to your weapons, such as your pistol. You can augment your gun to give you HP when you shoot an enemy, or have that enemy become hostile to other AI, and so on.

You'll earn a score based on your actions, and you'll be timed on each level. Challenge a friend to beat your score or time under the same conditions and same augs you used, and if they fail to beat you, you'll gain extra credits and a leaderboard position to brag about. While I didn't get to play Breach myself, it both looks and sounds fun, and a more colorful and playful challenge mode feels like a welcome addition to Deus Ex.

Deus Ex: Go, real-life prosthetics, and VR

There's a lot more Deus Ex arriving than just Mankind Divided. Square Enix Montreal is developing puzzle-strategy Deus Ex: Go, which you can read about here. Eidos, Razer, and Open Biotics are developing real prosthetic limbs inspired by DX, which you can see here.

And, there's even a bit of VR coming to Mankind Divided. You won't be able to play the full game with a VR headset, but there will be four in-game locations you can visit and explore in virtual reality. I know our Andy Kelly will be excited: not only is he a big fan of VR, he also loves Adam Jensen's apartment, so I'm hoping he'll be able to visit it in person and maybe even punch that mirror himself. He never asked for this, but he'll be happy to have it.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Deus Ex’s lead identifies as male, but in all those years as the owner of a partly robotic, highly customisable body, hasn’t he ever thought twice? Is gender a matter of the body you inhabit, anyway? In posing these ideas I’m betraying all sorts of assumptions and prejudices, but then again, being made aware of your own biases is a mark of skilled, socially engaged storytelling.

:shredder:

Also, it feels like a bunch of abilities in the main were mostly made for this Breach mode. I still can't shake the feeling that Jensen didn't need to have all those OP as fuck abilities, seems like it would highly trivilialize the whole game.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Jacques-Belletête is the art guy and gives every impression of having a brain composed of music video stills. I guess I should be happy they send him out to do press shit instead of de Marle so I can maintain the fantasy that they still have anything of the original Deus Ex in mind at this point.

---

Arcane
^Well, that is probably the closest thing to the original Deus Ex of this game :smug:
MTS_Esmeralda-1005912-JCcloseupinDX.jpg

Starwars

Arcane
Stuff like the crafting shit, the "cover waypoint" system and constant "press this to do that" shit popping up is extremely disappointing. Just... let the player go, ugh.

Still looking forward to seeing what they've cooked up as I enjoyed Human Revolution a fair bit but...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom