Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Deleted member 7219

Is system rift part of the main game?

Accessed from the main menu only.

If these missions were included in the main game, Mankind Divided would have easily got a 8 or 9/10 from me.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is system rift part of the main game?

NO.

You could fit it in the story somewhere as a sidemission like they did in the directors cut of HR though. A Criminal Past plays before the events of MD (9 months or so, IIRC) right after Jensen joined TF29.

Cross

Arcane
The MJ12 troops are outfitted practically and soberly, they don't have hundreds of random pieces of colored fabrics, pouches and triangle prints plastered over their armor, or one shoulder pad that's in a different color than the other one for some reason.
They also have a much lower resolution and level of detail. Getting really anal at his point.
You were the one who made the comparison to original Deus Ex, not I. Yes, Deus Ex was limited by the graphics technology at the time, but the uniform of a trooper/guard/officer is always going to follow the same logical principles: simple, clean and practical. For example, this is what a guard looks like in Dishonored 2.

latest

Of course, this is Eidos we are talking about, the same studio that turned Garrett into this abomination. They simply seem to be unable to exercise any kind of restraint, everything they do is as exaggerated as possible, from the costume design to the gameplay with cinematic takedowns and active augmentations that play a cutscene to the ridiculously advanced and over the top setting of HR & MD.

2K13-Apr-4-Garrett-1.1365002331.JPG
jpg

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Of course, this is Eidos we are talking about, the same studio that turned Garrett into this abomination. They simply seem to be unable to exercise any kind of restraint, everything they do is as exaggerated as possible, from the costume design to the gameplay with cinematic takedowns and active augmentations that play a cutscene to the ridiculously advanced and over the top setting of HR & MD.

2K13-Apr-4-Garrett-1.1365002331.JPG
jpg

Biggest problem with nu-Garrett is Eidos got it into their head they need an iconic lead in a stealth game. You know, where you should be sneaking about and doing your best to not stand out at all.

Side-by-side comparison with the old Garrett kinda hammers the point home.

210kcy9.jpg

Who will sneak away in a crowd better - guy with a non-existent silhouette or a BDSM reject?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah Eidos Montreal haven't made a good game. All of their games are the same flashy shit without any substance. Hope they go under.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The worst crime that Eidos did was that they didn't understand that Garrett was hardly ever a character, he was just a hooded rogue and a thief, that was it, he was essentially a husk of a character and the point was that YOU were him in the game, he was never really supposed to be this deep edgy fingerless glove wearing fucking Dishonored guy clone.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The worst crime that Eidos did was that they didn't understand that Garrett was hardly ever a character, he was just a hooded rogue and a thief, that was it, he was essentially a husk of a character and the point was that YOU were him in the game, he was never really supposed to be this deep edgy fingerless glove wearing fucking Dishonored guy clone.
Hmmm he was a character,but it was made to be similar to the people that play him. Who here wouldn't drag some poor fuck trough a mine filled with undeads so he could get laid by poor fuck's sister?

Ash

Arcane

Good chance they did understand that, fans on the forum gave 'em an earful (though it was probably too late for a redesign by then anyways). Just there's no perceived mass market appeal in that and game design is very sales-driven these days. The marketing guys probably specifically said "we need to turn this guy into an iconic character. Look at Mario. Look at Sonic. Look Etzio. Look at Adam Jensen".

fantadomat said:
Yeah Eidos Montreal haven't made a good game. All of their games are the same flashy shit without any substance. Hope they go under.

NuDX is clear decline and indeed often style over substance, yet it does have more substance than most AAA games on the modern market. Gotta be fair, and it's not saying much. It's also a shame the same cannot be said for NuThi4f. You don't even get "disappointing but gud for what it is...I suppose" there.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Good chance they did understand that, fans on the forum gave 'em an earful (though it was probably too late for a redesign by then anyways). Just there's no perceived mass market appeal in that and game design is very sales-driven these days. The marketing guys probably specifically said "we need to turn this guy into an iconic character. Look at Mario. Look at Sonic. Look Etzio. Look at Adam Jensen".

fantadomat said:

NuDX is clear decline and indeed often style over substance, yet it does have more substance than most AAA games on the modern market. Gotta be fair, and it's not saying much. It's also a shame the same cannot be said for NuThi4f. You don't even get "disappointing but gud for what it is...I suppose" there.
True,but who here even thinks about AAA when talking about games. I rather don't get new game in a old franchise than see such mediocrity that will totally kill the franchise. Those fucking cumbucketiering faggots managed to kill three franchises,two of with are seen as true legendary classics.

Ash

Arcane
Same. There's many series I'd rather modern devs/pubs just left for dead rather than getting their grubby hands on it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Changing my mind. Apparently none of the DLC are part of the main game, I don't know if I care enough about the lore or story to want to learn about Jensen's history.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Mary DeMarle (Executive Narrative Director) and Jonathan Jacques-Belletete (Executive Art Director) discuss the character of Vaclav Koller, shedding light on how he was written and designed.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
How do they still have the budget or time to make these shitty videos? It's not like game made money.

Ash

Arcane

Mary DeMarle (Executive Narrative Director) and Jonathan Jacques-Belletete (Executive Art Director) discuss the character of Vaclav Koller, shedding light on how he was written and designed.

[without having watched the video] Who? I played the game and don't know who that is. That's how memorable and engaging NuDX is. Koller....possibly the unauthentic NuMale cyberpunk kid that messes around in Jensen's head.

...OK I looked it up and it is, so the game gets a little more credit than initially given. It can be awarded the usual backhanded compliment of "inferior decline yet still better than most modern games" just like HR before it.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

[without having watched the video] Who? I played the game and don't know who that is. That's how memorable and engaging NuDX is. Koller....possibly the unauthentic NuMale cyberpunk kid that messes around in Jensen's head.

...OK I looked it up and it is, so the game gets a little more credit than initially given. It can be awarded the usual backhanded compliment of "inferior decline yet still better than most modern games" just like HR before it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I played DX: MD twice (liked it and plan to play it again) and had to look up 'Talos Rucker' from the previous video.

If they'd hire ONE good writer for the story/mainquest, Eidos good make a really good Deus Ex.

Ash

Arcane
Sigh. Their gameplay design, simulation and immersion design and more is just as flawed as their writing. I tire of storyfags/modernfags/low-s fags saying nonsense like that. They absolutely do not make a really good Deus Ex. They don't even make a really good game let alone a Deus Ex game. Good, sure, but excellence? Absolutely not.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sigh. Their gameplay design, simulation and immersion design and more is just as flawed as their writing. I tire of storyfags/modernfags/low-s fags saying nonsense like that. They absolutely do not make a really good Deus Ex. They don't even make a really good game let alone a Deus Ex game. Good, sure, but excellence? Absolutely not.
I am a fucking storyfag and say that modern Deus Ex are shit omelet! #notallstoryfags

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Level design talk from lead level designer of unmade (supposedly) Mankind Divided sequel:

He also led level design of (not yet announced) Shadow of The Tomb Raider.

Gord

Arcane
I'm currently replaying MD (finished it once on my old toaster and now again on my new rig whenever I'm in the mood - which is not very often actually).

The game manages to do some things well enough, but sadly the one thing it excells at is to constantly pull me out of any immersion it might manage to create.
There are so many things wrong with their setting and the (back)-story, it's just too non-sensical for me to really enjoy.

It's probably being nitpicky, but had they at least set it ~50 years later, in some non-Deus Ex cyberpunk-version of Earth, I could maybe play it without constantly thinking about how stupid it seems that all this stuff is supposed to happen like 10 years from now (albeit on a parallel-universe earth that started to deviate a couple of years ago). Of course it would still retain all those bad plot devices (like neuropozyne, or the aug incident), logically questionable parts of the setting (almost everything concerning the presentation of augmentations), or the hodge-podge-storytelling, but it would be a start.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Yeah, good thing I didn't sped $6 on DLC. I mean it's not much but I haven't touched this game since the last time I commented. I have been played Baldur's Gate 2 though, more fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom