Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

summerloud

Novice
The candy bar implementation in HR has to be the stupidest most limiting game design ever.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now I just want to be a fly on the wall in their kitchen and hear all kinds of banal shit in that gritty voice.

Damn. I put too much milk on my cereal.

Honey, are we out of toilet paper?

Does this look like an ant bite to you? I think this is an ant bite. Do we have ants?

And I will still pay aug slots for the normal human voice mod.

Alfons

Prophet
So I got bored enough to replay HR. The game should be called "Porcelain Cyborg Simulator". Jensen dies from shit that I would walk off, what kind of pussy dies from a 3 meter drop?

Executr

Cipher
More from GameInformer: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ople-getting-augmented-in-deus-ex-anyway.aspx

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is our latest cover story, and the Human Revolution sequel explores what Eidos Montrel dubs "the mechanical apartheid." The studio says that players can go into the game without any prior knowledge of the series. That may be, but it never hurts to have a little background knowledge. Today, we're going to explore what's at the core of the game's central conflict – augmentations.

The term (often shortened to "augs") are used to describe a wide array of technologically advanced implants in Deus Ex’s world. Their use is also quite polarizing. Knowing that, why on earth would anyone undergo such risky operations? The explanation is complicated and tragic.

During Human Revolution’s story, Adam Jensen worked for a company called Sarif Industries, which was on the forefront of manufacturing these sophisticated Augmentations. If you played it, you might recall incidental conversations between NPCs discussing the augs. In one, a business professional remarks to another that he’s tired of getting passed up for promotions, and that he’s considering a neural upgrade to make himself more competitive. Other upgrades are more overt, such as the limb replacements Jensen received following a terrorist attack.

These augs became yet another sign of the haves versus the have-nots, particularly in cases where the wealthy indulged in completely optional (and expensive) upgrades. But that’s not the entire story. Many of the first wave of aug recipients were wounded military veterans returning home from battle. These augmentations, which included limb replacements and more, were given government stipends to help subsidize the treatments. Others took advantage of incentives that took advantage of the augmented, too.

“Sariff Industries had a plan that you could get augmented, but it’s almost like indentured servitude at that point,” says Mary DeMarle, Deus Ex’s narrative director. Afterward, some recipients realized that these implants gave them an advantage over their biologically pure counterparts. “We were having this new class emerge and they were getting more wealthy because they could do the jobs.”

That changed in the aug incident, where augmented people were temporarily hijacked to participate in acts of terrorism. You can read more about that incident, as well as the Illuminati’s part in the disaster here. Afterward, augmented people were seen as dangerous and were routinely rounded up and forced to live in prison camps, such as the one in Prague where Mankind Divided's early moments are set.

“A lot of people in there were people who had no choice or they were correcting a defect,” DeMarle says. “They weren’t trying to become superhuman, they were just trying to live their lives. Those are some of the worst tragedies in this kind of a universe. Here are people who had to have a heart replacement, and suddenly the aug incident happens. Maybe they actually went crazy and did stuff that they can’t necessarily live with themselves today. Maybe they were lucky and that didn’t happen, but because they had this life-saving surgery, they’re being forced to be outcasts and shunned.

“Some of the people in there, too, are not augmented. Okay, say I was married [to an augmented person], and he’s being sent there. I’m going to go with him. It isn’t just the augmented, but even with that it adds an interesting layer. The augmented who are there may also look upon their spouses as, ‘You don’t understand this.’”

It's unsettling to think that so many of the people who became augmented didn't have a say in the matter, whether they were in car accidents, injured during a war, or were born with congenital conditions. There are millions of augmented people in Deus Ex's world, but they're less than 10 percent of the total population. Will Jensen be able to give those people a voice? Do they actually deserve one, considering the aug incident? The truth may be complicated, but you can be sure that Jensen will do his best to uncover it.

Gerrard

Arcane
This trailer is incredible decline compared to HR one.

And HR one conveyed atmosphere of the game pretty accurately...
I think this one conveyed the atmosphere of this game perfectly as well.

More from GameInformer: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ople-getting-augmented-in-deus-ex-anyway.aspx

It's unsettling to think that so many of the people who became augmented didn't have a say in the matter, whether they were in car accidents, injured during a war, or were born with congenital conditions. There are millions of augmented people in Deus Ex's world, but they're less than 10 percent of the total population. Will Jensen be able to give those people a voice? Do they actually deserve one, considering the aug incident? The truth may be complicated, but you can be sure that Jensen will do his best to uncover it.
I wonder what this guy's "say in the matter" would be if he lost both of his legs. The events in HR are not very surprising if you know people this stupid are alive in the world.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

I imagine how blade shooting will work.

Jensen misses the shot and NPC runs off with his blade. Then conversation battle starts...
- I KNOW YOU HAVE ALL THE RIGHTS TO NEVER RETURN ME THE BLADE BUT I MUST SAVE THE WORLD SO PLEASE RETURN ME THE BLADE IM SORRY
- Nope.

J1M

Arcane
Let's put an end to this lazy juvenile 'insight'. Jensen is not jesus, he is Icarus.
Yeah, but then again...

HkQuq1X.jpg
"Then again" what, exactly?

You think that is an allusion to the Sistine Chapel?

Hands_of_God_and_Adam.jpg

That is also lazy. Aside from the hands being in the wrong position, neither of the hands belong to Jesus. The one of the left is Adam, and the one on the right is God, in the process of giving him life. Even if you take the most general interpretation of that imagery, that it represents "humanity", it doesn't fit.

That image is there to contrast Jensen with the villain. The scene before it has a new cyborg recruit pledging fealty by "kissing the ring" of the augmented terrorist leader. That shot juxtaposes with this one showing Jensen's intent to help regular people, even though he is augmented. Along with the next spoken line it cements his position as a protagonist torn between two worlds.

Alfons

Prophet
That is also lazy. Aside from the hands being in the wrong position, neither of the hands belong to Jesus. The one of the left is Adam, and the one on the right is God, in the process of giving him life. Even if you take the most general interpretation of that imagery, that it represents "humanity", it doesn't fit.
You are going way overboard with trying to interpret the symbolism. The trailer image is as subtle as a brick to the face. How on earth would they put that exact hand position without making it as subtle as a fucking nuke? Jensen is the god who is helping the poor mortals who can't handle things on their own.

That image is there to contrast Jensen with the villain. The scene before it has a new cyborg recruit pledging fealty by "kissing the ring" of the augmented terrorist leader. That shot juxtaposes with this one showing Jensen's intent to help regular people, even though he is augmented. Along with the next spoken line it cements his position as a protagonist torn between two worlds.
So even though he is powerful he is helping the weak, sort of like Jesus.

We can try interpret this shit any way we like, but saying Jensen is Icarus is the worst way. Maybe The devs want Jensen to be Icarus but how exactly does that work? I remember the first trailer showing Jensen having his wings burned, But even that was before he ever became augmented. After he became augmented he was doing whatever the fuck he wanted and even if his actions caused more harm than good everyone around him were getting burned while he remained alive. Icarus flew too close to the sun, melted his wings and died. Jensen, how does Jensen melt his wings? Even getting wings wasn't his choice and he wasn't happy about it. If you try to make every symbol exact than nothing fits.

T. Reich

Arcane
We can try interpret this shit any way we like, but saying Jensen is Icarus is the worst way. Maybe The devs want Jensen to be Icarus but how exactly does that work? I remember the first trailer showing Jensen having his wings burned, But even that was before he ever became augmented. After he became augmented he was doing whatever the fuck he wanted and even if his actions caused more harm than good everyone around him were getting burned while he remained alive. Icarus flew too close to the sun, melted his wings and died. Jensen, how does Jensen melt his wings? Even getting wings wasn't his choice and he wasn't happy about it. If you try to make every symbol exact than nothing fits.

*Puts on tinfoil hat* Adam was made Icarus when he was given what he didn't ask for by Sarif. His augmentations = wings of Icarus, for he was empowered greatly and then proceeded to fly around unchecked, not heeding his creator's warnings (about the mmen behind the men, etc). When he got too close to the "sun" (the Illuminati, smarth, huh?), he got burned in a sense that his dreams (of saving waifu) were crushed and whatever he wanted to accomplish was reduced to pressing a button that didn't amonunt to anything either because post-credits spoiler.

How's that symbolism for ya?
:neveraskedforthis:

Alfons

Prophet
*Puts on tinfoil hat* Adam was made Icarus when he was given what he didn't ask for by Sarif. His augmentations = wings of Icarus, for he was empowered greatly and then proceeded to fly around unchecked, not heeding his creator's warnings (about the mmen behind the men, etc). When he got too close to the "sun" (the Illuminati, smarth, huh?), he got burned in a sense that his dreams (of saving waifu) were crushed and whatever he wanted to accomplish was reduced to pressing a button that didn't amonunt to anything either because post-credits spoiler.

:retarded:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is our latest cover story, and the Human Revolution sequel explores what Eidos Montrel dubs "the mechanical apartheid." The studio says that players can go into the game without any prior knowledge of the series. That may be, but it never hurts to have a little background knowledge. Today, we're going to explore what's at the core of the game's central conflict – augmentations.

The term (often shortened to "augs") are used to describe a wide array of technologically advanced implants in Deus Ex’s world. Their use is also quite polarizing. Knowing that, why on earth would anyone undergo such risky operations? The explanation is complicated and tragic.

During Human Revolution’s story, Adam Jensen worked for a company called Sarif Industries, which was on the forefront of manufacturing these sophisticated Augmentations. If you played it, you might recall incidental conversations between NPCs discussing the augs. In one, a business professional remarks to another that he’s tired of getting passed up for promotions, and that he’s considering a neural upgrade to make himself more competitive. Other upgrades are more overt, such as the limb replacements Jensen received following a terrorist attack.

These augs became yet another sign of the haves versus the have-nots, particularly in cases where the wealthy indulged in completely optional (and expensive) upgrades. But that’s not the entire story. Many of the first wave of aug recipients were wounded military veterans returning home from battle. These augmentations, which included limb replacements and more, were given government stipends to help subsidize the treatments. Others took advantage of incentives that took advantage of the augmented, too.

“Sariff Industries had a plan that you could get augmented, but it’s almost like indentured servitude at that point,” says Mary DeMarle, Deus Ex’s narrative director. Afterward, some recipients realized that these implants gave them an advantage over their biologically pure counterparts. “We were having this new class emerge and they were getting more wealthy because they could do the jobs.”

That changed in the aug incident, where augmented people were temporarily hijacked to participate in acts of terrorism. You can read more about that incident, as well as the Illuminati’s part in the disaster here. Afterward, augmented people were seen as dangerous and were routinely rounded up and forced to live in prison camps, such as the one in Prague where Mankind Divided's early moments are set.

“A lot of people in there were people who had no choice or they were correcting a defect,” DeMarle says. “They weren’t trying to become superhuman, they were just trying to live their lives. Those are some of the worst tragedies in this kind of a universe. Here are people who had to have a heart replacement, and suddenly the aug incident happens. Maybe they actually went crazy and did stuff that they can’t necessarily live with themselves today. Maybe they were lucky and that didn’t happen, but because they had this life-saving surgery, they’re being forced to be outcasts and shunned.

“Some of the people in there, too, are not augmented. Okay, say I was married [to an augmented person], and he’s being sent there. I’m going to go with him. It isn’t just the augmented, but even with that it adds an interesting layer. The augmented who are there may also look upon their spouses as, ‘You don’t understand this.’”

Jesus Christ this is so fucking terrible.

J1M

Arcane
You are going way overboard with trying to interpret the symbolism. The trailer image is as subtle as a brick to the face. How on earth would they put that exact hand position without making it as subtle as a fucking nuke? Jensen is the god who is helping the poor mortals who can't handle things on their own.

So even though he is powerful he is helping the weak, sort of like Jesus.

You seem to be suggesting that I sat there and studied the trailer looking for hidden meaning as if this was some sort of shitty poem in a high school English class. My point is that none of this symbolism is subtle. Don't confuse explaining it to you at a pace you can understand with being a pretentious art fag.

Since you appear to have missed it:
-Jensen is given his augs, which are like Icarus' wings.
-He uses them to perform great feats but doesn't heed warnings.
-At the end of DX:HR he tries to do too much aka "flies too high" and [scene missing] ends up floating for dead in the ocean. Just as Icarus fell into the sea. The shot of him laying in the water with light beams forming wings is shown multiple times.

The imagery from the first game's trailers drew from The Renaissance because the game's theme and title were Human Revolution. This one plays up the aspect of Jensen being torn between two worlds and is called Mankind Divided.

Again, not subtle.

Alfons

Prophet
You see, the problem I have with you making this interpretation is that it's too fucking vague and loose for you. You say that it's not god or Jesus or whatever the fuck because the hand position isn't exactly the same and then you go on with this shit. One time you want things to be precise and the next SYMBOLISM. When you make things vague enough everything fits, when you demand them to be precise enough nothing fits. You seem to decide on which one to apply the way it suits you.
The tale of Icarus and the tale of Jesus aren't complex. One didn't listen, overreached and got fucked because of it the other had great powers and sacrificed himself for other people. When you say it like that then you can fit either in a fuckton of places.

T. Reich

Arcane

Since you appear to have missed it:
-Jensen is given his augs, which are like Icarus' wings.
-He uses them to perform great feats but doesn't heed warnings.
-At the end of DX:HR he tries to do too much aka "flies too high" and [scene missing] ends up floating for dead in the ocean. Just as Icarus fell into the sea. The shot of him laying in the water with light beams forming wings is shown multiple times.

I totally didn't read that guy's mind... Or did I?!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You Can Complete Deus Ex Mankind Divided Without Killing Anyone, Even The Bosses

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site] can be completed without killing anyone – even the bosses. This as confirmed by the game’s Executive Game Director, Jean-François Dugas, in a tweet responding to the question. If you’re a fan or familiar with Deus Ex, or particularly Human Revolution, then you’ll understand why this is significant news. If not I’ll explain below.

Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of my favourite games and it was universally praised upon release. It was also universally criticised for its boss fights, which abandoned the feeling of freedom that defined the rest of the game in favour of forcing you into a closed space with a single enemy you had to kill in order to progress. This meant they were a slog against bullet sponges, but worse, it meant that it undermined the character you were attempting to roleplay.

The boss fights seemed a baffling decision from a studio that otherwise knew what made Deus Ex special, and the reason why became clear shortly after release: the boss fights had been outsourced to a different company. The studio ran out of time to do them internally and so had to scrap their initial plans in favour of something simpler.

There’s reasons to be positive about the boss fights next time around. In our interview with Dugas at the time, he said that “I think the biggest weakness there wasn’t the concept of having boss fights, it’s just that our boss fights are not Deus Ex boss fights and that’s why people are complaining about them.” I’m inclined to agree and Human Revolution already has its example of a grand, Deus Ex boss fight in its DLC, The Missing Link. Set aboard a cargo ship, its centerpiece is a boss who you can approach half a dozen ways, including defeating non-lethally and whose special weapon you can steal before you fight them.

Better still, that Missing Link boss fight wasn’t designed as an afterthought in response to the criticism: it was the originally planned design for Human Revolution’s very first boss fight, against heavy soldier Barrett. This was mentioned in the excellent developer commentary on the game’s recent Director’s Cut release [Steam page], which makes the fights more interesting (although still unavoidably lethal). The impression is that Square Enix Montreal knew how to make a good boss fight all along, and Dugas’ tweet suggests that this time they’re committing the resources to doing so.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
What is with all the praise? The game was only moderately superior than Invisible War and even that did a number of things better than HR. I guess the journalists had been starved of anything even slightly resembling quality for so long that HR was a Godsend for them.

Alfons

Prophet
Wow, they still don't get it:
it’s just that our boss fights are not Deus Ex boss fights
I didn't even know a "Deud Ex boss fight" was a thing. One of my best memories of the original is
the part where you meet the other nano aug dude in the underwater base and you can just run away, if you stealth before you meet him you can even skip the dialogue.
The missing link boss fight reminded me more of metal gear than deus ex. The best thing about missing link was
the part where you are given a choice between killing the doc or the prisoners, but you have a third unlisted option that allows you to save both.
That reminded me of how the original let you figure out on your own that you can color outside the lines.

Branm

Learned
Cant get exciting about this....there hasnt been a good Deus Ex since the first one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom